LawHopeful2020

Does McGill Follow an Order When Admitting Applicants?

On 2/14/2020 at 11:24 PM, ThiccThanos said:

Hello dear future, present and past law students:)

I went on Minerva today and I saw that my two referees sent their LORs and that McGill has received my CEGEP marks. Now it says "Ready for review". Does anyone know if McGill manually requests CEGEP or undergrad grades for each applicant or they normally do one massive request after the deadline? I'm wondering if this means they're interested in me since they requested my marks so fast from the Ministry and way before the deadline... Then again, maybe I'm completely wrong:)

Thanks for any info! 

- A curious and excited CEGEP applicant

Ready for review doesn't mean anything at this stage. It's just letting you know that your file is complete and that it's literally ready to be reviewed. Your status on Minerva won't change until you get an offer, which means that your status won't change even if you are called for an interview. Your grades are requested once your file is complete so once again it doesn't mean anything.

Last year, they first started to call CEGEP students for interview at the beginning of April. Then there was a second round of interviews in May. 

If you have any other questions feel free to reach out. Went through this process not too long ago and it's still very fresh in my mind. 

Wish you good luck! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, YesNoToaster said:

Around what date approximately would it be fair to assume that you haven't been accepted to McGill? End of March? 

I am a re-applicant and last year I received my letter of rejection in late May. I had friends who were accepted around the same time. The website says until the end of June, and I think that's accurate. 

Just now, mcgillonce said:

I am a re-applicant and last year I received my letter of rejection in late May. I had friends who were accepted around the same time. The website says until the end of June, and I think that's accurate. 

that included uni candidates or mostly cegep/mature applicants? since the deadlines are different for different categories of candidates. the process is so mysterious and anxiety-inducing. were any uni candidates accepted after cegep/mature applicants were offered admission?

4 hours ago, changeofplans said:

that included uni candidates or mostly cegep/mature applicants? since the deadlines are different for different categories of candidates. the process is so mysterious and anxiety-inducing. were any uni candidates accepted after cegep/mature applicants were offered admission?

You can search for last year's Admitted/Accepted thread to check on last cycle's details.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 2:52 PM, GreyDude said:

This seems very unlikely.

• The cégep application deadline is March 1. 

• Cégep and some Mature candidates are invited to interviews, most of which happen between March and May.

• The orientation and registration package is available at the beginning of July

• Welcome Day is in August

I can't find any reference to an event in February. Where did you see it?

All of the above is taken from McGill Law pages online - https://mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/admissions-guide , https://mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/admissions-guide/admissions-policy,  and https://mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/newly-admitted-students

The welcome day for early admitted candidates was feb 13. We were only like 50 people - relax, most of the class hasn't been chosen yet! Also, half of them mentioned they were not sure whether or not they were accepting. 

Edited by Julia10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Julia10 said:

The welcome day for early admitted candidates was feb 13. We were only like 50 people - relax, most of the class hasn't been chosen yet! Also, half of them mentioned they were not sure whether or not they were accepting

Yeah. I made the mistake of assuming that just because I couldn’t see it on the website it likely wasn’t happening. I probably should have known better.  But anyway, my main message was intended to be that it seemed unlikely that most students would be admitted by mid-February, and “relax” was supposed to be the upshot of that.  I don’t think it was communicated as effectively as it might have been. So thanks for clarifying.

Also, congratulations on your early admission! Are you accepting?

Edited by GreyDude