LawHopeful2020

Does McGill Follow an Order When Admitting Applicants?

Since it is obvious that applicant Admission offers aren’t given based on GPA ranking, does anyone know if McGill offers admission based on province, application submission date, or last name? This is honestly such a painful wait. 

When I was involved with admissions, the admissions office would first sort the applications into various stacks and then sequentially distribute the better stacks to the admissions committee for review.

Mind you, most folks on the admissions committee were balancing other responsibilities as well. If your application happened to land in front of committee members who were busier than others, you'd have been waiting longer for an answer.

Once one stack was cleared, the committee moved on to the next best stack.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, msk2012 said:

When I was involved with admissions, the admissions office would first sort the applications into various stacks and then sequentially distribute the better stacks to the admissions committee for review.

Mind you, most folks on the admissions committee were balancing other responsibilities as well. If your application happened to land in front of committee members who were busier than others, you'd have been waiting longer for an answer.

Once one stack was cleared, the committee moved on to the next best stack.

Was the first sort based on GPA/LSAT stats?

1 hour ago, changeofplans said:

I don’t think it’s based on GPA/LSAT. I have a 4.0 GPA and a 174 LSAT, but I’m from Alberta, and my last name is at the end of the alphabet. Maybe the GPA/LSAT comes into play within a stack. 

2 minutes ago, LawHopeful2020 said:

I don’t think it’s based on GPA/LSAT. I have a 4.0 GPA and a 174 LSAT, but I’m from Alberta, and my last name is at the end of the alphabet. Maybe the GPA/LSAT comes into play within a stack. 

3.88 gpa, no LSAT and my last name is also at the end of the alphabet. I guess I shouldn’t expect an answer anytime soon. (Bravo for that impressive GPA and LSAT score!)

18 minutes ago, LawHopeful2020 said:

Not to go too off topic but are you applying for Harvard/Yale/Stanford? Because I'm sure you're aware (given that you have to be smart and diligent to get those stats) that you could get in to them.

37 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Not to go too off topic but are you applying for Harvard/Yale/Stanford? Because I'm sure you're aware (given that you have to be smart and diligent to get those stats) that you could get in to them.

Thank you, but I would like to stay in Canada.

4 hours ago, changeofplans said:

In large part but not exclusively. Extracurricular/professional accomplishments were considered as well as whether or not an application self identified as an Aboriginal person, someone with a disability, and so on.

To be clear, the admissions people could only spend a few seconds per application at the sorting stage. For one of the more "holistic" considerations to have been factored in at this stage, it would have to been presented in a way that could be clearly identified.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, msk2012 said:

In large part but not exclusively. Extracurricular/professional accomplishments were considered as well as whether or not an application self identified as an Aboriginal person, someone with a disability, and so on.

To be clear, the admissions people could only spend a few seconds per application at the sorting stage. For one of the more "holistic" considerations to have been factored in at this stage, it would have to been presented in a way that could be clearly identified.

Thank you for sharing.Do you know if any of it is based on alphabetical order, or in-province vs out-of-province? 

Guys it's mid February. McGill has one of the slowest admission processes in the country. The majority of admits haven't gone out yet. Don't worry.

Not sure if McGill would tell you but if you haven't heard by march, you might consider inquiring into the status of your application.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LawHopeful2020 said:

Since it is obvious that applicant Admission offers aren’t given based on GPA ranking, does anyone know if McGill offers admission based on province, application submission date, or last name? This is honestly such a painful wait. 

I know people who have gotten in with last names at both ends of the alphabet already so I doubt it's because of name placement. GPA weighs pretty heavy if this forum is any indication, nobody has under a 3.7 GPA yet. McGill is quoted as being holistic and definitely weighs your abilities in French, elements to think about, but I remain shocked that you have yet to receive an offer, you'll probably receive one shortly. 

You should send a continued letter of intent and some kind of attestation that you're ready to take a french class immediately. 

iirc admitted students day is almost always in mid-Feb. Most of the class has been chosen by then.

Edited by gorgonzola

3 minutes ago, gorgonzola said:

iirc admitted students day is almost always in mid-Feb. Most of the class has been chosen by then.

9 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Guys it's mid February. McGill has one of the slowest admission processes in the country. The majority of admits haven't gone out yet. Don't worry

so who's right?

3 hours ago, gorgonzola said:

This seems very unlikely.

• The cégep application deadline is March 1. 

• Cégep and some Mature candidates are invited to interviews, most of which happen between March and May.

• The orientation and registration package is available at the beginning of July

• Welcome Day is in August

I can't find any reference to an event in February. Where did you see it?

All of the above is taken from McGill Law pages online - https://mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/admissions-guide , https://mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/admissions-guide/admissions-policy,  and https://mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/newly-admitted-students

4 hours ago, gorgonzola said:

Not what I've been told.

59 minutes ago, GreyDude said:

This seems very unlikely.

• The cégep application deadline is March 1. 

• Cégep and some Mature candidates are invited to interviews, most of which happen between March and May.

• The orientation and registration package is available at the beginning of July

• Welcome Day is in August

I can't find any reference to an event in February. Where did you see it?

All of the above is taken from McGill Law pages online - https://mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/admissions-guide , https://mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/admissions-guide/admissions-policy,  and https://mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/newly-admitted-students

There is a Welcome Day for students admitted (so far) tomorrow actually. Based on tmr's attendance I assume we will get a rough estimate of the number of offers already sent out. 

2 hours ago, dwight98 said:

There is a Welcome Day for students admitted (so far) tomorrow actually. Based on tmr's attendance I assume we will get a rough estimate of the number of offers already sent out

Huh! Thanks for clarifying. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 11:54 AM, dwight98 said:

There is a Welcome Day for students admitted (so far) tomorrow actually. Based on tmr's attendance I assume we will get a rough estimate of the number of offers already sent out. 

Will you let us know about how many people were in attendance, or if they stated the number of placements offered thus far? Thanks for the information!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlwaysHopeful said:

Will you let us know about how many people were in attendance, or if they stated the number of placements offered thus far? Thanks for the information!

So they didn't tell us the number of acceptances sent out unfortunately, but my impression is that there was about 50 admits present today. Keep in mind that some admits may have been unable to attend. Among those present,  not everyone had decided yet. I definitely wouldn't worry if you haven't heard yet, it seemed to me like they have a ways to go to fill the class.* 

*please take this with a grain of salt, I'm making a lot of assumptions and this is only based on my observations today.

Edited by dwight98
  • Thanks 3

Hello dear future, present and past law students:)

I went on Minerva today and I saw that my two referees sent their LORs and that McGill has received my CEGEP marks. Now it says "Ready for review". Does anyone know if McGill manually requests CEGEP or undergrad grades for each applicant or they normally do one massive request after the deadline? I'm wondering if this means they're interested in me since they requested my marks so fast from the Ministry and way before the deadline... Then again, maybe I'm completely wrong:)

Thanks for any info! 

- A curious and excited CEGEP applicant

Edited by ThiccThanos