HumptyDumpty

LSO - Statement of Principles

Here are my thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

The SOP is objectionable.  In fact I believe it is objectionable for any organization to tell its members how to think. At its basic level, that was precisely what the SOP did.

For those of yesteryear, or those who have strong prejudices because of how they were raised, or what life 'did' to them, or for whatever reason, if you support homophobia, racial discrimination or bigotry, then most people wouldn't want to have anything to do with you. But to force members to write out a statement that says that you love and respect everybody - and promise and cross your heart not to discriminate - what does this accomplish?

Another poster on another website summed it up nicely by stating that the fact that somebody could be sanctioned, even if the risk is low, for NOT creating one, that is almost as offensive as the requirement to produce one in the first place.

My view is that the SOP is a useless waste of time designed by those who created it to feel like they're doing something, battling back the waves of hatred which they somehow got in their heads exists in the legal profession. My experience has been the opposite, that the vast majority of members are extremely tolerant and welcoming and not discriminating - apart from financially assessing their prospective client's ability to pay for their services.

Edited by HumptyDumpty
  • Like 1

Your obsession with this and similar topics is proof positive that the SOP was necessary and its removal was a reactionary step by reactionaries.

• Like 7

We get it. When people with privilege are asked to spend some time thinking about how they may consciously or unconsciously participate in a system that is discriminatory towards people of colour, they tend to lash out and do things like elect a bunch of single issue clowns to the LSO to reverse the draconian policy on their behalf. People of privilege should not be made to feel uncomfortable! What good is holding power if you can be made to feel uncomfortable about it?

There's a bunch of threads about this already.

• Like 5

Not only has it been discussed in multiple threads, there's a thread devoted specifically to it. Here's the last post by @Ryn

(Ryn, shout-out to you in case you want to merge this with that thread - I had originally declined to respond to this post because in the wrong section, but since others have already...note the use of an ellipsis...make that ellipses...).

Furthermore, why post about the SOP in a section on this board for law students? It might make sense to do so, if one gave context to law students about why they should care - regardless of one's position - but the original post here assumes the reader is already familiar with the SOP. Which is at least Ontario-centric, even if one expected Ontario law students to be aware of it.

Well, Humpty. Thank GOD someone finally spoke up about this, and after holding your tongue for so long, you finally feel free to share your true feelings on this subject. 

🙄😉

• Like 3

20 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Here are my thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

The SOP is objectionable.  In fact I believe it is objectionable for any organization to tell its members how to think. At its basic level, that was precisely what the SOP did.

The SOP sounded like a bad idea that was also poorly worded. It didn't help that one or more proponents at the time took the approach of implying that opposition to the policy was a sign of being bad person. Made the spectacle yet another toxic political debate.

• Like 1

There was no need for a new thread on this topic. If you want to continue the discussion, please do so in the linked thread. Thanks.