passeri

Holistic Review Process

Does anyone know when the admissions review team starts their holistic review process, how long it usually takes, and when I can expect to hear ye or nay? 

U of A holistic review process is a bit of a mystery. If you post your stats people can give you a more accurate answer of when/if you will be accepted

Edited by AJD19

Stats aren’t dazzling I’m afraid! 3.62 gpa and 150 lsat, hence why I’m 🤞🏻🤞🏻 for the holistic review. I’ve worked several years as a legal assistant and helped write and present a paper for  a LESA seminar... I’m hoping that counts for something! 😅

13 minutes ago, passeri said:

I’ve worked several years as a legal assistant and helped write and present a paper for  a LESA seminar... I’m hoping that counts for something! 😅

It almost certainly won't count for much, unfortunately.

Law school attracts very driven, ambitious, type-A people so it takes a lot to have softs that are truly exceptional enough to be a game-changer. The vast majority of applicants tend to overestimate their own ECs, PS and LORs relative to the competition because they have been successful relative to their peer group their whole lives but don't account for the fact that the same is true of other law school applicants.

2 hours ago, passeri said:

Stats aren’t dazzling I’m afraid! 3.62 gpa and 150 lsat, hence why I’m 🤞🏻🤞🏻 for the holistic review. I’ve worked several years as a legal assistant and helped write and present a paper for  a LESA seminar... I’m hoping that counts for something! 😅

I have read from somewhere that many law schools view LSAT155 as a basic indicator of the possibility of success in law school. In other words, you might find it very difficult for you to catch up in the classroom if 150 is already the best score you could possibly have achieved. However if it is not the best you could do, then the school might question your determination and dedication. Neither way will be in your favor.  This logic makes sense to me.

So why don't you rewrite and get at least 155 or even close or above 160?  150 seems too much even for a holistic consideration. 

Edited by lawyer123

3 hours ago, lawyer123 said:

I have read from somewhere that many law schools view LSAT155 as a basic indicator of the possibility of success in law school. In other words, you might find it very difficult for you to catch up in the classroom if 150 is already the best score you could possibly have achieved. However if it is not the best you could do, then the school might question your determination and dedication. Neither way will be in your favor.  This logic makes sense to me.

So why don't you rewrite and get at least 155 or even close or above 160?  150 seems too much even for a holistic consideration. 

Oh I can definitely do better. In practice exams I consistently score 156. What makes things challenging is that the UofA averages the scores! Perhaps I should have said something about that in my personal statement. I hadn’t received my score until after the personal statement deadline. Downfall of writing my LSAT in January....

3 minutes ago, passeri said:

Oh I can definitely do better. In practice exams I consistently score 156. What makes things challenging is that the UofA averages the scores! Perhaps I should have said something about that in my personal statement. I hadn’t received my score until after the personal statement deadline. Downfall of writing my LSAT in January....

Asserting in your personal statement that your official LSAT score is below what you were scoring in practice exams would be a terrible idea in any event.

46 minutes ago, passeri said:

Only official scores make sense. Almost every applicant would get an actual score lower than PTs, mostly around 5 points or even more. So official score being lower than average PTing is not an acceptable explanation for holistic review if I understand correctly.

Yea I wouldn't get your hopes up, absolute shot in the dark at best. <155 LSAT your going to have trouble getting into any school in the country. If I were you, id keep at the LSAT and write again soon instead of seeing how this cycle plays out at re writing in the fall. 

On 2/8/2020 at 9:45 PM, passeri said:

Does anyone know when the admissions review team starts their holistic review process, how long it usually takes, and when I can expect to hear ye or nay? 

Isn't the holistic review strictly for Indigenous applicants?

1 hour ago, Kingifer said:

Isn't the holistic review strictly for Indigenous applicants?

no It's for anyone who is not competitive under regular category. 

Just now, lawyer123 said:

no It's for anyone who is not competitive under regular category. 

Thanks. I have a 3.6 and 157. But I also have a BA and MSc from the U of A. I've also worked there for about 3 years... I'm hoping with a holistic review they might reward me for dedicating my life to them lol. 

8 minutes ago, Kingifer said:

Thanks. I have a 3.6 and 157. But I also have a BA and MSc from the U of A. I've also worked there for about 3 years... I'm hoping with a holistic review they might reward me for dedicating my life to them lol. 

you should be fine. I m crossing my finger for holistic review too.

3 minutes ago, lawyer123 said:

you should be fine. I m crossing my finger for holistic review too.

Fingers crossed for you too!

11 hours ago, Kingifer said:

If it gives you any comfort, I'm on the exact same boat as you - BSc & Master's degree from the U of A, and worked there for a few years. Similar GPA & LSAT too, so fingers crossed for holistic review and best of luck! 😃

3 hours ago, MrHopeful said:

If it gives you any comfort, I'm on the exact same boat as you - BSc & Master's degree from the U of A, and worked there for a few years. Similar GPA & LSAT too, so fingers crossed for holistic review and best of luck! 😃

Good luck to you! 

16 hours ago, Kingifer said:

Those are pretty solid stats, youll prob get in elsewhere if u applied widely.

2 hours ago, AJD19 said:

Those are pretty solid stats, youll prob get in elsewhere if u applied widely.

I applied to TRU and UCalgary! 

Anyone think I stand a chance at all for holistic review consideration with a 3.49 L2 and 158 LSAT?

Also applied to UofC, TRU, Sask, DAL. My EC's are where I shine so i'm praying!