Mihael

Anyone here with a law degree that works for the government?

I'm interested in working for the government, generally speaking, after getting my law degree. Are there any law school graduates here that work or worked for the government? What was your position/job and what was the salary like? Do you recommend it?

Edited by Mihael

Might I suggest a more focused question - in what capacity are you interested in working for whom? Just that as this stands, your question covers a huge range - are you interested in eg just Federal government? Provincial? Other bodies, such as agencies, administrative decision-makers, municipalities? By use of 'with a law degree' were you explicitly setting that aside from 'lawyers'? (ie, are you thinking of being a prosecutor? a land use lawyer? Someone who never articles, but uses skills from law school at work?) 

• Like 2

@lookingaround I am purposely being as broad as possible. I want people to discuss the long range of options with regards to government jobs and in all kinds of positions.

To narrow it down for me personally though, I am thinking of within BC and not even necessarily a lawyer (i.e. can be legal counsel for example, or other jobs that aren't necessarily legal related but can be hired for with a JD). Still broad I know. 

Edited by Mihael

I am working in tax policy for the BC government. Salary is a lot lower than I would get at a firm, but work-life balance is a lot better. It seems to me for most government positions you are better off doing something other than a law degree to get in, law is an expensive path to get into government unless the position requires it. 

• Like 1

I know a substantial number of municipal lawyers who now work in public sector management in non-law roles, i.e., CAO, general manager(s), clerks, and etc. 

There are tons of lawyer jobs in government, it depends on what you are looking for. There are lawyers who provide legal advice to client ministries (which is what I do), lawyers who do civil litigation, lawyers to do law/policy work, and lots of other branches I can't remember. The opportunities are endless. I also know of several lawyers, or JDs who didn't article who work in policy capacity (e.g. not as a lawyer, but as a Policy Analyst, for example). The salary is higher if you are classified as Legal Counsel. I'm in BC, and you can see the salaries here: 

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/careers-myhr/all-employees/pay-benefits/salaries/salarylookuptool

I've only ever worked for government as a lawyer so I'm biased, but I love it. The hours aren't too bad, my clients are awesome, good salary and benefits (and pension!). There's lots of opportunities to move around within government (e.g. going on Temporary Assignment). It can be a bureaucratic nightmare sometimes and we definitely don't get all the fancier perks as private sector lawyers (e.g. we had to pay for our own holiday party). 

1 hour ago, azure said:

I'm in BC, and you can see the salaries here

Not to derail the thread, but @azure, would you mind saying how BC's government lawyers are distributed? Mainly Victoria as the capital, mainly Vancouver as it's, well, Vancouver, or is it quite distributed?

I ask because I'm interested in government jobs and considering UVic, and would be hoping (for family reasons) to stay in the YYJ area after school. Thanks!

-GM

13 hours ago, GrumpyMountie said:

Not to derail the thread, but @azure, would you mind saying how BC's government lawyers are distributed? Mainly Victoria as the capital, mainly Vancouver as it's, well, Vancouver, or is it quite distributed?

I ask because I'm interested in government jobs and considering UVic, and would be hoping (for family reasons) to stay in the YYJ area after school. Thanks!

-GM

Mostly victoria because most of your client ministries are headquartered in victoria.

Crown counsel is going to be a different story.

Edited by kurrika
  • Thanks 2

I have a law degree, I work in government, I don't do legal work, I do policy work.    I like my job. 

I sometime look enviously at the salaries earned by LSB solicitors but then I take note of their jaundiced complexions and shaky hands.  And fire off a request for a legal opinion at 5 pm on my way out the door - if it could be ready by 10 am tomorrow that would be great, we are in a real hurry.

:P

Edited by kurrika
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1