McJesus1995

Finished Degree Last Semester, Upgrading a Single Class This Semester

So, like the title mentions, I completed my degree in the Fall 2019 semester. I'm currently enrolled in a single course this semester (upgrading it, just in case law school doesn't pan out and I work in my initial field). I just wanted to know, will schools look at the marks for this course, considering I've technically already completed my degree? Will they update my past marks in this course with the new marks? Will taking this single course (dropping me to a part-time student) be bad for my applications at all? 

I'm applying to UVic, UofC, UofA, USask, UofT, Dalhousie, TRU. 

Im pretty sure uofc only looks at your grades from the fall semester. So I dont think they would even see this last course, not this year anyways. However, if you didnt get in this year and applied again next year it would be on the transcript. Is it past the withdrawal deadline for your school? I most definitely had W's on my transcript when I applied to u of c this year and still got in, if that helps at all. 

I wish you well! 

1 hour ago, McJesus1995 said:

So, like the title mentions, I completed my degree in the Fall 2019 semester. I'm currently enrolled in a single course this semester (upgrading it, just in case law school doesn't pan out and I work in my initial field). I just wanted to know, will schools look at the marks for this course, considering I've technically already completed my degree? Will they update my past marks in this course with the new marks? Will taking this single course (dropping me to a part-time student) be bad for my applications at all? 

I'm applying to UVic, UofC, UofA, USask, UofT, Dalhousie, TRU. 

U of T looks at Best 3 semesters. One course is not a semester

51 minutes ago, Calgarylaw2 said:

Im pretty sure uofc only looks at your grades from the fall semester. So I dont think they would even see this last course, not this year anyways. However, if you didnt get in this year and applied again next year it would be on the transcript. Is it past the withdrawal deadline for your school? I most definitely had W's on my transcript when I applied to u of c this year and still got in, if that helps at all. 

I wish you well! 

It's not past the deadline for withdrawing yet--I just wasn't really sure if taking one course would be a negative on my application or not. So, you think I should withdraw? Would having this one course damage my application?

51 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Right. But they count the credits back, don't they? So it would be included? It's okay for me if any of these schools include these marks, I'm more worried about them not considering me because I am taking only one course.

12 minutes ago, McJesus1995 said:

It's not past the deadline for withdrawing yet--I just wasn't really sure if taking one course would be a negative on my application or not. So, you think I should withdraw? Would having this one course damage my application?

Oh I apoligize, I misunderstood your intentions. I thought you might have wanted to withdraw. No, I dont think it will matter in the slightest that you have a semester with 1 course for UofC. Have you already applied this year or are you applying next year? 

Again if you've applied this year it will be irrelevant if you get in. If you are looking at 2021 then I suppose it will matter how you do in that one course. Since it will be counted in your last 20 credits, which is where they get your GPA calculation from. 

Just now, Calgarylaw2 said:

Oh I apoligize, I misunderstood your intentions. I thought you might have wanted to withdraw. No, I dont think it will matter in the slightest that you have a semester with 1 course for UofC. Have you already applied this year or are you applying next year? 

Again if you've applied this year it will be irrelevant if you get in. If you are looking at 2021 then I suppose it will matter how you do in that one course. Since it will be counted in your last 20 credits, which is where they get your GPA calculation from. 

I'm applying this year! I always thought it would be a non-issue, but had a panic about it last night realizing that some schools might not accept because of it. So good to know! Hopefully I get in this year and I don't have to worry about it :) Thanks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McJesus1995 said:

I'm applying this year! I always thought it would be a non-issue, but had a panic about it last night realizing that some schools might not accept because of it. So good to know! Hopefully I get in this year and I don't have to worry about it :) Thanks!

Yes its so hard to know sometimes the best thing to do, and the waiting is so brutal. 

Best of luck! 

12 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Unless something has changed, and I've missed it, U of T uses a B3 assessment and it's 3 years, not semesters. No summer courses are included and the student must be at full-time status.

1 hour ago, erinl2 said:

Unless something has changed, and I've missed it, U of T uses a B3 assessment and it's 3 years, not semesters. No summer courses are included and the student must be at full-time status.

yeah, 3 years. 

Edited by Luckycharm