jatthopefullawyer

Going to Manitoba Law and Coming Back to Toronto/GTA

I have a 76+ score so I think I am in. but if I don't get accepted in an Ontario school, Manitoba is one of my options. however, I am from Toronto and don't want to work anywhere else. I am willing to work in the GTA, but can't leave Ontario. Is it possible to come back to  Ontario with a law degree from Manitoba and is it hard to find articling? 

Anything is possible but probably difficult...

Articling jobs in GTA are sought after by many Ontario schools and other Canadian schools.  

4 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Anything is possible but probably difficult...

Articling jobs in GTA are sought after by many Ontario schools and other Canadian schools.  

What about transferring back after 1L?

2 minutes ago, NeverGiveUp said:

People on this forum have said 1L is hard and I think it's probably easier getting 160+ on the LSAT and getting accepted in Ontario than transferring. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

People on this forum have said 1L is hard and I think it's probably easier getting 160+ on the LSAT and getting accepted in Ontario than transferring. 

Thanks.

I'm in no position (0L) to tell you that you can't do it, but obviously it will lower your odds a bit. The same is probably true for finding summer work in Ontario. 

More importantly, I think, you should probably think through the worst case scenario before enrolling at U of M. If you do end up failing to secure anything in the GTA, and you've just spent 3 years and untold dollars getting a law degree that you can't use, then obviously you will be in a bad spot. So if you absolutely cannot see yourself remaining in Winnipeg*, even for a little while after school, then perhaps it would be more prudent to strengthen your applications for Ontario schools for the next cycle instead. 

-GM

* I absolutely adore Winnipeg, but the reality is that for some reason, most Ontarians can't see the appeal of YWG. So let's face it: just playing the odds, it is probably unlikely that you will be happy there.

57 minutes ago, NeverGiveUp said:

that depends on how well you did and which schools you want to transfer to

• Thanks 1

I am a current 1L at Robson Hall from Ontario. Trying to back to Ontario is difficult but not impossible at all. You just have to do a little bit of extra leg work. Use your reading weeks, holiday break, and summer after 1L to go visit as many Toronto firms as you can. Meet the student program leader, an articling student etc. This is what I did on my fall reading week and several firms actually commented that going out, showing initiative, and getting face time with them was going to be better in the long run then some U of T/Osgoode kids who just attend a wine and cheese with a hundred other students. Its absolutely doable, you just have to do some legwork that some of the Ontario students won't have to do. 

10 minutes ago, jwill33 said:

I am a current 1L at Robson Hall from Ontario. Trying to back to Ontario is difficult but not impossible at all. You just have to do a little bit of extra leg work. Use your reading weeks, holiday break, and summer after 1L to go visit as many Toronto firms as you can. Meet the student program leader, an articling student etc. This is what I did on my fall reading week and several firms actually commented that going out, showing initiative, and getting face time with them was going to be better in the long run then some U of T/Osgoode kids who just attend a wine and cheese with a hundred other students. Its absolutely doable, you just have to do some legwork that some of the Ontario students won't have to do. 

How many student program leader and articling students did you meet? Did you get an interview for 1L summer job?

I haven't even started law school yet (so I don't have any experience with this), however I actually talked with some lawyers from Winnipeg about this exact thing, and what people are saying in this thread is generally true. From what I've heard, it is very difficult to get a job in Ontario coming out of school. Unless your a gold medal student at the top of your class or have something that sets you apart in some way, Ontario firms generally view Ontario students more favourably.

However, if you're willing to stay in Winnipeg for a few years after school and work at firm there, I've heard it's absolutely doable to go back and find work in Ontario. Especially if you get a job at one of the top firms in Winnipeg during those few years. I think it's generally just more difficult to get a job in Ontario coming straight out of school.