Sign in to follow this  
Soupalouliamus

how the heck does one find an apartment

i've never moved out before so i'm completely clueless

also, i'm kinda far away so i can't just come down and look around

if leases are may - may in kingston, do ppl sublet when they want to move after that?

do ppl ever chose apartments without seeing them in person?

any advice would be appreciated

:shock:

hey soup,

i'm facing the same problem with Queen's housing, because there are no pictures available for the places listed on the Queen's housing list. I'm tentatively planning on going to Kingston in May to check out housing, take pictures, etc. Leases aren't necessarily may to may, unless there's some rule for rentals under the Queen's housing program that i'm not aware of, but they are usually 1 year long, although that can vary as well. However, because of the high demand for student housing, it is likely that most of the desirable places may be all taken during May. That's why I want to find a place in Kingston in May.

I'll keep you posted on my plans, and post pics when I have them available.

thanks so much - i'd really appreciate that

i may very well live off campus, which i hope will give me some options

i should go in may, but i don't think i'll have time

blech ---stress

does anyone know what John Orr tower is like?

I was in Kingston 2 weeks ago. I checked out one apartment/room while I was there. The house was alright, it was furnished and everything was included for $775 a month. However, I thought this was quite steep.

I won't be attending law school at Queen's but rather am taking the MPA program there next fall. I havn't decided 100% if I am going to accept Queen's offer, but if I do I would certainly be interested in finding a house with some law students. I want some place decent, close to campus and with some other students who are serious about their work but also like to kick back a bit (I am not a wild partier). If you're interested PM me.

So far, i'm looking at a 3 bedroom house or apartment in kingston. It looks like it could be had for $1200-$1500 on the Queen's housing registry, but like I've said, I want to actually see what I'd be getting. I want someplace nice, with enough room to entertain a few people for dinner parties, etc, and ideally within a 10-15 minute walk from school. I have one roomate lined up, but we'll likely be looking for a third for September. I'm fairly demanding for what I would ideally like to live in for the next three years, so I want to get on top of things before supply starts to dwindle.

and yeah, $775 for a one-bed sounds pretty steep, especially for kingston.

Just FYI, avg shared accomodation at Queen's is under $500/mo, more like $400. That's not inc. utilites and internet and such. A single will run you around $600ish, but it's mostly unheard of, unless you're renting a room in someone's house or living in res. Grad reses are pretty awesome because they're actually IN the student centre, and across from the library, but they're pricey.

the grad res seems gross to me

the tower seems ok - does anyone know about it?

i was thinking of finding a 1 bdrm apartment somewhere and commuting

(U of A style, lol..... in know, very un-queens)

any thoughts?

There are really 2 peak times May to May (with undergrads grabbing a lot of that in the great winter house hunt) and September to September.

I wouldn't want to live in the JDUC (the student centre) not least because the entire campus will be one huge construction zone for a while. I'm not sure of the Queen's Centre Timeline (given that it isn't going to open until sometime after 2010) but there is going to be a lot of building on campus over the next decade.

you people are too picky.. there's nothing wrong with NOP. Not a bad walk to school, close to the bars, and quite a few law people live in the area.. Also, the way I found my place last year was just walking around the ghetto.. there's always a pile of places, and if you don't mind sharing you should find a place for somewhere between 300 and 500

student housing at queens is pretty expensive and shitty, unless you know where to look. If you're worried about buying furniture, accidentally hooking up with roomates you hate, or renting sight-unseen, then apply for res. Harkness is the nicest, with Grad Res as 2nd runner up, and West Campus being 3rd only because it's "far" (read: 15 minute walk) from campus.

None of the residences are actually nice, you'll basically feel like you've been transported back to first year. However, you'll meet a lot of people, including non-law students, which is something you will learn to appreciate greatly.

If res is a non-option for you, then be SURE to come to Kingston to find a place. You can come into town for one day and easily see 5-6 apts. Renting sight-unseen is a terrible idea, especially in Kingston, where so many places are truly terrible.

You wont have a problem finding a Sept-Sept or Aug-Aug lease. While the majority of Kingston rentals are May-May, this is for the undergrad crowd, who rents huge houses with 4-8 bedrooms. Law students tend to rent 1-2 bedroom apts, which are widely avaliable in Aug and Sept.

John Orr Tower I have only visited once. The hallways are creepy (it's clear the building was originally a Queens Residence) but the apts there are nice. You can rent one sight unseen without worry.

Most 1st years will rent a place they arent too fond of, and then upgrade to something really nice for their 2nd and 3rd years.

thanks for the advice kscopa

i might consider orr, but i'm going to avoid res like the plague

i guess i may to come down, go home, and come back,

which is unfortunate cause i live in edmonton

lol