MikeScott

Asking for a job over the phone

Currently a 2l. A really good friend of mine told me about an entertainment lawyer She knew. She asked him if i could call him to ask for advice etc. Does it reflect poorly on me if I outright ask this lawyer for a summer job? I really want to work with him because he's highly experienced etc.

Should I instead say I am looking for a job rather than saying would you consider hiring me? I may be stressing for nothing but job hunting, at least for me, is more stressful than law school.   

Ask him directly and tell him how you feel about him.

Edited by Luckycharm

Why don't you first ask to meet this lawyer for coffee? It is off-putting to have someone only contact you because they want a job, as opposed to building a real mentor-mentee relationship, friendship, network, etc.

Be honest about your intentions upfront. This lawyer may not be in a position to hire you but may know someone who is currently looking to hire. 

More importantly, are you actually interested in this area of law? Is it contracts, labour and employment, IP? What about it is interesting? What else would you like to know other than if there is a job available?