icantpoonomore

Clerkship 2020

56 minutes ago, Thugal14 said:

Got the PFO (well the we've made our hiring but we're keeping you in a pool just in case) from the TCC. Still haven't heard anything from the FCA judge i interviewed with. Will all of them have made their first offer by now, or will some of them be waiting a bit?

Most justices at the FC/FCA wait until SCC offers are out, which concludes on March 24. So hiring is nowhere near complete at this time!

2 hours ago, Thugal14 said:

Got the PFO (well the we've made our hiring but we're keeping you in a pool just in case) from the TCC. Still haven't heard anything from the FCA judge i interviewed with. Will all of them have made their first offer by now, or will some of them be waiting a bit?

I was given until tomorrow to accept, so I imagine that the other selected candidates were also given that timeframe or something similar. I imagine that after that, there may be a couple more FCA offers if those selected go to another court.... 

Thanks for that guys, much appreciated! Was approaching Newfoundland levels of neurosis :) .

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, LSorBust said:

Most justices at the FC/FCA wait until SCC offers are out, which concludes on March 24. So hiring is nowhere near complete at this time!

SCC offers finished Friday. Not sure where you heard the 24th.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Accepted an offer from the FC on Friday, and a PFO from the Tax Court today. The TCC sent all their offers, and I've heard that many/most of the FC judges did on Friday as well. There is still a chance for people that haven't gotten offers yet, as you may get a spot someone else declined, or one with judges that have not offered any yet. I've even heard, anecdotally, that some judges are still doing/have not done interviews yet.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, CoffeeandLaw said:

SCC offers finished Friday. Not sure where you heard the 24th.

The date of completion for the process is the 24th. It's literally on the SCC website. "Not sure" what the issue is here.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LSorBust said:

The date of completion for the process is the 24th. It's literally on the SCC website. "Not sure" what the issue is here.

Lower courts wait until SCC is complete before making offers. The website says that the 24th is the last possible day SCC could wrap up. Since SCC offers went out earlier, and lower courts began their offers, it is safe to assume SCC is done. I think suggesting otherwise could falsely get people's hopes up. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, CoffeeandLaw said:

Lower courts wait until SCC is complete before making offers. The website says that the 24th is the last possible day SCC could wrap up. Since SCC offers went out earlier, and lower courts began their offers, it is safe to assume SCC is done. I think suggesting otherwise could falsely get people's hopes up. 

I'm not sure what's hard to understand; once SCC offers are out, whenever that may be, FC judges start making decision. Some actually take many more weeks to decide. Sometimes they don't even interview until April. This is just how it is.

8 hours ago, LSorBust said:

Every year, the website gives a date long after the actual date of offers. In recent years, offers have gone out Thursday night or Friday morning of interview week. This year, SCC offers began and ended on Friday.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:07 PM, LSorBust said:

As soon as SCC offers concluded on Friday, the Court notified all other courts. Most courts immediately began sending out offers (as you can see from reading this thread). Courts of appeal, including the FCA are now finished. You are right that several FC judges only begin interviewing after the SCC and court of appeal offers go out. But many FC judges send out offers as soon as the SCC concludes hiring. It is misleading to state that "hiring is nowhere near complete at this time" and that's what @CoffeeandLaw was trying to tell you.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RollMaster said:

Does the OCA not send PFOs? I need closure...

I heard that they send them on fancy paper by mail so it takes a while to get. Cannot 100% confirm though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SlippingJimmy said:

Does anyone know if all ONSC regions send their offers out on the same day or does it vary?

Have any offers went out yet? I think they do 

1 minute ago, WindsorHopeful said:

Have any offers went out yet? I think they do 

Not that I have heard. Multiple regions this year said offers would go out tomorrow, though some seemed less sure than others about that being a hard date. Have also heard conflicting stories about offers going out at different times in past years. Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the procedure

I know BCCA received offers, Has ONCA offers gone out yet?

I am looking for confirmation from anyone who has received an offer please.

1 hour ago, Oldtown said:

I know BCCA received offers, Has ONCA offers gone out yet?

I am looking for confirmation from anyone who has received an offer please.

As far as I know all ONCA offers are out. They went out friday.

• Confused 1

Does anyone know if defering a clerkship a possibility/something that happens? Or is it unheard of?