icantpoonomore

Clerkship 2020

Thought I would kick off the discussion since there is no thread up for this year's cycle. 

Applied at multiple courts in Ottawa - TCC, FC/FCA. 

Has anyone heard anything vis a vis dates and interviews, etc.?

If it helps, I only started hearing back from the courts in early-mid February. There was one judge who reached out in late January, but that was a scheduling anomaly.

My advice is just to sit back and focus on other things -it’s so easy to get caught up in the wait and check lawstudents.ca every other hour. 

It's very early. You likely won't be hearing anything for a few more weeks.

For anyone who applied to SCC, have you had any trouble submitting the online form? When I click Submit by Email, the attachment shows up in the email as a doc saying "Please wait... If the message is not eventually replaced by the proper PDF etc etc etc". I have downloaded the most recent version of Adobe and am submitting from the Adobe app on a Mac. TIA! 

2 hours ago, ontrack2017 said:

For anyone who applied to SCC, have you had any trouble submitting the online form? When I click Submit by Email, the attachment shows up in the email as a doc saying "Please wait... If the message is not eventually replaced by the proper PDF etc etc etc". I have downloaded the most recent version of Adobe and am submitting from the Adobe app on a Mac. TIA! 

That usually happens when you open the PDF in your browser rather than Adobe Reader/Acrobat.

7 hours ago, tuquoque said:

That usually happens when you open the PDF in your browser rather than Adobe Reader/Acrobat.

That's what I thought, but even when I'm in the actual Adobe Reader, when I try to "Submit by Email" that message comes up again in the email 😕 

10 hours ago, ontrack2017 said:

If I remember correctly, all clicking that button does is attach the file to an e-mail anyway. You can just as easily save the completed pdf, manually attach it to an e-mail and send it to the law clerk program e-mail address (which is listed on the law clerk program web page).

Last year I submitted it even with that warning and it seemed to have opened ok on their end. I tried doing what Joey suggested above but it still didn't work for me.

Edited by CoffeeandLaw

... Any news? From anywhere/one? Probably still a touch early, but according to last year's thread we could start hearing back... Good luck, everyone! :) 

On 1/28/2020 at 12:19 PM, poshspice said:

... Any news? From anywhere/one? Probably still a touch early, but according to last year's thread we could start hearing back... Good luck, everyone! :) 

I received an email from the BCSC/BCCA around 3pm today to schedule a first-round interview.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, poshspice said:

Congrats @GenericLawStudent and @law321! Best of luck in the process... I applied for both those courts as well but didn't hear back 😕 

If you don't mind my asking, what are your stats/ECs?

Each judge in the federal courts conducts their own hiring process. It's likely only a handful of judges who have given out interviews. It is very early! Truly, some judges don't even begin to look at applications until March!

• Like 1

Thanks, @joeyman365. That's somewhat reassuring. 

Though, just got my rejection letter from BCCA - not too surprised as an east coaster, but still... OOF - top 10% of JD and LLM, work experience in the field, TA and RA work experiences couldn't get me to BC first interview 😮 

36 minutes ago, joeyman365 said:

Each judge in the federal courts conducts their own hiring process. It's likely only a handful of judges who have given out interviews. It is very early! Truly, some judges don't even begin to look at applications until March!

This is good to keep in mind - while hiring at the FCC is hierarchical, the interviews happen at a random pace as suits the judges. The earliest interview invite I got was at the end of February, and the last was in mid March. So as far as the FCC is concerned, it’s a pretty slow process. 

Can’t speak to other courts, though. I’m especially interested in hearing about the SCC. Based on the last few years, they appear to send out interview schedule emails to candidates around mid-February (say the 11th to the 17th). I guess we’ll find out soon enough!

I have heard from the TCC so far. Still nothing from the FCA- not sure if anyone has heard from them yet.