CanadaLawStudent

Is a dual JD/MA in History useful for anything?

So Western University offers combined/dual JD programs with four other master’s programs - MBA, MSc Geology, MSc Geophyiscs, and MA History. The reason for the dual MBA/JD’s existence is obvious, and I understand why there would be a dual JD with geology/geophysics (mining law; though someone correct me if I’m wrong), but what would be the use for a combined JD and MA in History? I’m curious - I’m an undergrad history student and I’m really interested in history, though I might only consider this program if it opens up opportunities (as a history degree by itself isn’t really useful in terms of the job market).

Edited by CanadaLawStudent

It may be for those who want to go the legal historian/academic route. And even then, you may not even need the MA. The handful of legal history professors I’ve heard of all had law degrees, but none had a MA in history. 

I’m sure it would be good for fulfilling a Passion for studying history, and maybe you could jump ship to become a history professor if laws not for you. Only two practical applications I can imagine, besides being a interesting (if not excessive) talking point for your resume. Like more pure art graduate degrees I imagine it’s mostly a passion project. 

I had a history professor in undergrad that did his LLB and MA in History at Queen's. He later went on to do his PhD. He's a legal historian and says that law school was invaluable for helping him understand the content. That said, I'm not sure it has much of a use outside that. 

Any idea if legal historians are in demand? Apparently the job market for historians (in general) is oversaturated - is it different for legal historians?

29 minutes ago, CanadaLawStudent said:

Any idea if legal historians are in demand? Apparently the job market for historians (in general) is oversaturated - is it different for legal historians?

I do not know, I have done no research to look into it, and I do not work in any field that would give me any insight into the question, but I would bet a large amount of money that legal historians are decidedly not in demand. 

But as a general comment, law in an academic sense is very historic; you can't start writing a legal textbook in nearly any subject without starting your story centuries ago. 

Edited by BringBackCrunchBerries

8 hours ago, CanadaLawStudent said:

Legal historians are likely fighting for the same jobs as other historians. For example the legal historian who I took classes from taught history of the prairie west, and Roman history on top of one or two legal history classes. His research was exclusively legal history, but the market is saturated and budgets are so low he has to be a Jack-of-all trades historian. Legal history is such a niche that I doubt there is a huge job market for them. That said I was involved in a history graduate program at a prairie university, so I cant speak to the demand elsewhere.