Husns

How to decide what to do

How do I decide my next steps? I just wrote the LSAT a fourth time and I'm confident I won't get into law school. I will not be applying again, but I'm not sure how to redirect my energy since I've thought about law for so long and it's the career path I genuinely want but won't be able to pursue due to low GPA/mediocre LSAT. Anyone on this site a law school reject who found another path?

What makes you think you won't get into law school with a 3.68 L2/160 LSAT? Those stats will easily get you into at least one Canadian school. If this is your dream, don't give up yet. 

Edited by Tagger

I see your point. It would be nice to feel like i have this in the bag but that's not the case, and I have to accept that admissions will be a challenging journey for me. It's hard not to strategize alternatives given that I'm a borderline candidate. My LSAT scores have ranged from 157-160 and I just hope today's isn't below my highest score.

You just wrote the January LSAT today, right?

Take the night off, unplug from this forum and give yourself some time to relax and process your emotions. You wrote the LSAT four times and achieved a 160; you should be proud of your resilience and dedication, because those are qualities you'll need when (not if) you start law school. 

It's not easy to feel like you're not guaranteed a specific result, but that's a feeling you'll have to confront quite often in law school. Don't let that sense of uncertainty blunt your self-esteem and lead you to a rash, emotional decision. 

• Like 1

With those stats, you're guaranteed in at half a dozen law schools in Canada, and you're a maybe at half a dozen more. Not sure why you feel otherwise. Unless you only want to go to certain schools and will forfeit law school entirely if you don't get into them. Keep your head up and get after that dream.

18 hours ago, Husns said:

How do I decide my next steps? I just wrote the LSAT a fourth time and I'm confident I won't get into law school. I will not be applying again, but I'm not sure how to redirect my energy since I've thought about law for so long and it's the career path I genuinely want but won't be able to pursue due to low GPA/mediocre LSAT. Anyone on this site a law school reject who found another path?

I can understand the feeling of disappointment at how yesterday went, but your conclusion that your stats won't get you in to law school in Canada is... a little dramatic.

3.68L2 and 160 still give you a shot at getting into Queen's and Western, albeit on the late side. Can't recall whether you've posted where else you applied in ON, but those two are nothing to sneeze at.

As others have said, you could get in easily at several schools if you apply more broadly in the next cycle. Your conclusion that you won't get in, or even that you are marginal, and 

And, in case no one has pointed it out to you yet: You still have 2 weeks to apply to U of S, an L2 school which has cheaper tuition, and where your L2 and LSAT are both above the accepted average. Also, Saskatoon is awesome.

IF law is really what you want, this is absolutely not the time to be giving up.

-GM

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 1:32 AM, lawschoolhopeful6 said:

With those stats, you're guaranteed in at half a dozen law schools in Canada, and you're a maybe at half a dozen more. Not sure why you feel otherwise. Unless you only want to go to certain schools and will forfeit law school entirely if you don't get into them. Keep your head up and get after that dream.

I don't come here as much as I used to right now, and this is a pretty mean shot to just fire and run, but I'm going to do it anyway. This quoted comment is from the dumb-ass, blindly optimistic perspective that we keep needing to shoot down on this site, and if we don't kill it on a regular basis it eventually takes root and starts to grow again, like some kind of monster weed.

See, I don't know if the OP will ultimately get into law school or not. But I do know, based on his post alone, that's he's applied in the past, that he doesn't believe his LSAT is going to improve, and that he obviously isn't in law school yet. So to take a situation where someone clearly has NOT been admitted into law school, assume that nothing has improved, and to say "dude, you're such a great applicant, you're SURE to get in!" only proves utter delusion on the part of the person making that comment. And do I need to get into the roots of that delusion again? People who are long past law school, or at least in themselves, tend to have a somewhat realistic perspective on the whole mess. We're not perfect, but at least we don't have skin in the game any longer. All the other applicants...you're all motivated to tell one another what you want to believe yourselves. It's easy. Don't worry. A not-terrible GPA and a reasonably decent LSAT guarantee you a spot. You know what? You're not doing yourselves or each other any favors. Blind cheerleading isn't helpful.

Anyway, that's all. The OP asked a reasonable question, and he's getting some decent advice. I have no problem with his attitude or perspective at all. People should let him grapple with reality, whatever it may be, rather than encouraging him to believe he's somehow immune to it.

OP was waitlisted at Queen's with a 3.3 cGPA, 3.68 L2, and 157 LSAT in the previous cycle. They improved their LSAT to a 160 since then. Based on their post history, it also seems like this person is only electing to apply to a few competitive schools. 

I do think they have a shot at getting into "a" law school somewhere in Canada. If OP doesn't want to apply to these schools, then that is their choice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

I do think they have a shot at getting into "a" law school somewhere in Canada. If OP doesn't want to apply to these schools, then that is their choice.

I am in a similar situation as OP and am a borderline candidate at Ontario schools. I think he's hesitant about applying out of province because he wants to practice in Ontario. 

I want to practice in the GTA. if I don't get accepted in Ontario, should I leave the province if I get accepted to UNB or TRU OR wait a cycle and bump LSAT score? main emphasis is I want to practice in the GTA, which is what im assuming op wants to do. is the gap year worth going to a more prestigious school in Ontario? 

34 minutes ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

I am in a similar situation as OP and am a borderline candidate at Ontario schools. I think he's hesitant about applying out of province because he wants to practice in Ontario. 

I want to practice in the GTA. if I don't get accepted in Ontario, should I leave the province if I get accepted to UNB or TRU OR wait a cycle and bump LSAT score? main emphasis is I want to practice in the GTA, which is what im assuming op wants to do. is the gap year worth going to a more prestigious school in Ontario? 

There are plenty of UNB and TRU grads working in Toronto. They are excellent schools - though admittedly I don't know too much about TRU since it is newer but I've heard the alumni are doing well. All law schools in Canada will provide you with a quality education and enough resources for you to succeed. Prestige is overblown by people outside of law school and current law students. Once you are actually called to the bar, where you went for law school may only come up in the odd conversation here and there. 

Wanting to go to law school in Ontario to be closer to family and the market you want to practice in is a fair concern. Only you can answer whether you think it is worth putting your life off by another year for the off chance that you "may" get into an Ontario school. It's not like Ontario law schools are somehow more reputable than non-Ontario law schools. Sure, if you were comparing U of T to UNB and TRU then there is a discussion that could be had. But most, if not all, other Ontario law schools are on equal footing with the law schools in the rest of the country. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Diplock said:

I don't come here as much as I used to right now, and this is a pretty mean shot to just fire and run, but I'm going to do it anyway. This quoted comment is from the dumb-ass, blindly optimistic perspective that we keep needing to shoot down on this site, and if we don't kill it on a regular basis it eventually takes root and starts to grow again, like some kind of monster weed.

See, I don't know if the OP will ultimately get into law school or not. But I do know, based on his post alone, that's he's applied in the past, that he doesn't believe his LSAT is going to improve, and that he obviously isn't in law school yet. So to take a situation where someone clearly has NOT been admitted into law school, assume that nothing has improved, and to say "dude, you're such a great applicant, you're SURE to get in!" only proves utter delusion on the part of the person making that comment. And do I need to get into the roots of that delusion again? People who are long past law school, or at least in themselves, tend to have a somewhat realistic perspective on the whole mess. We're not perfect, but at least we don't have skin in the game any longer. All the other applicants...you're all motivated to tell one another what you want to believe yourselves. It's easy. Don't worry. A not-terrible GPA and a reasonably decent LSAT guarantee you a spot. You know what? You're not doing yourselves or each other any favors. Blind cheerleading isn't helpful.

Anyway, that's all. The OP asked a reasonable question, and he's getting some decent advice. I have no problem with his attitude or perspective at all. People should let him grapple with reality, whatever it may be, rather than encouraging him to believe he's somehow immune to it.

Haha first off, let me start off by acknowledging the fact that you are likely a keyboard warrior who take pride in insulting people. To each their own I guess... That being said, there is 0 need for hostility in this thread 😂

I'm not "cheerleading," it's the REALITY of OP's situation. He/she is absolutely getting into law school somewhere in Canada with those stats. One such school is the U of M, which doesn't even consider softs and OP's stats are well above the cutoff line to get in. It doesn't take "people who are long past law school, or at least in" to know if someone has a chance of getting into a law school in Canada or not. Sure those that are in/have finished law school are more informed about the realities of being in law school itself. But from an admissions perspective, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine whether someone will get in, has a chance, or has no chance of being admitted to a certain school. Unless OP has extenuating circumstances they have not mentioned, they are 100% getting in somewhere in Canada. This has literally nothing to do with optimism, I'm just stating facts.

That being said, if OP is only willing to go to certain schools (e.g. Ontario schools), then their situation changes. However, they have made no mention of this in the original post, so who am I to make this assumption? Again, let me reiterate that this is not a "delusion," OP can absolutely go to law school in Canada, it's just a matter of their personal situation and how committed they are to pursue a career in the legal profession.

All in all, I understand the point you are trying to make (regarding some people being too optimistic on this website), but it is not at all relevant to my original post. This reply was completely unnecessary and really just a waste of your time.

• Like 1