Sign in to follow this  
GrumpyMountie

cGPA considered at holistic stage?

I am an uncompetitive candidate for normal admission because my 'Last 60' includes some really bad graduate marks - but my overall average is much better, and my LSAT is competitive for U of A. I know I have 0% chance of admission under their usual formula, so this isn't really a 'chances' thread in that sense.

Luckily for me, Alberta is the only one out of the 9 schools I applied to where graduate marks are counted,  so I have good chances elsewhere. However, for a set of personal reasons, U of A would be my top choice overall -so their formula is really bad luck for me. So I applied anyway, knowing I had no chance in the index category, just crossing my fingers for the holistic admissions stage.

So my question is: does anyone know whether they would take a broader look at academic history, including cGPA, during the holistic phase? Or is it more of a "Let's look at your other, non-academic factors, but your low L60 GPA is still the only GPA calculation we consider" ?

They don't publish any info on how the holistic assessments work, so I'm just wondering if anyone has picked up any relevant info from previous interactions with admissions staff, etc. 

Thanks for any insight!

-GM

Pure speculation on my part, but as I was admitted holistically last year, I think a lot of it comes down to how you address it in your personal statement. If you’ve addressed why it wouldn’t be a hinderance to your success in law school sufficiently well, my guess is that they would be able to interpret everything through that lens. Personally speaking no metric of my grades looked good, so they were able to overlook it for me. I’m sure if you were able to explain the L60 in a way that it would not be a continuing concern, than the CGPA (while not considered directly) may help to support this claim and make you a stronger candidate. 

TLDR: I don’t know for sure, but I think a better CGPA would help if your personal statement addresses the L60 successfully 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Oilersfan94 said:

If you’ve addressed why it wouldn’t be a hinderance to your success in law school sufficiently well, my guess is that they would be able to interpret everything through that lens.

Thanks for the insight. I tried my best to frame it in a way that shows how isolated it was. Luckily for me the only bad year was my second-hand year, so at least it finished with a short upward trend (my last year was my best ever).

I wish I had a better excuse than I do for that year, but I'll just cross my fingers and hope that my explanation was good enough! :)

-GM

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• “With the greatest of respect..” you wouldn’t have to work so many hours if you used fewer words to say same thing
    • *I'm guessing you're thinking of doing the Montreal "Course" if you're asking how you stack up against Udem and McGill students. You're right that a 3.67 at McGill is seen as better than any other schools (Udem included). That's simply because only a handful of McGill students achieve such a feat. And keep in mind that GPAs at McGill are on a 4.0 scale, not the 4.3 scale other quebec civil law schools use. That being said, I have no idea how firms compare Ulaval, Udem, Sherbrooke and Uquam students vs McGill students. It probably differs quite a lot from firm to firm. As for Udem, some will argue that a 3.67 GPA there is better than at Ulaval, Udem, etc., which I think could be true to a certain extent. But even if it's true, it surely isn't comparable to McGill. Overall a lot of Udem students end up getting articling positions at national firms but is it because firms have a high opinion of Udem? Or because there are a lot of Udem students taking part in the "Course"? I'd say a little bit of both. With a 3.67 GPA, I'd think your chances of getting first interviews at Norton, McCarthy and BCF are pretty good but I would apply to a large number of Montreal firms if you want a better chance at getting offers. And if working in Quebec city doesn't bother you, then I'd suggest you apply to Norton, McCarthy and BCF Quebec as well.
    • Queens 2L chiming in here!  OP, I was in your position a few years ago.  Was a tough choice but I ultimately went with Queen's.  I have never looked back.   I have been impressed both by Queens course selection, and the close community.  I know that my friends who are business-law minded have had no issue finding business related courses.  As someone who is not particularly interested in business law, I have not found it difficult to find a wide-breadth of other areas of law to study.  So, if you ever start to change your mind about the type of law you are interested in, Queens does a good job covering all its academic bases.   But I do believe the real draw to Queens is the close community.  As someone who went to a commuter-school for my undergrad, I have found Queens to be a nice change of pace.  I have always found that people are willing to help out others, whether academically or otherwise, and have found that this atmosphere makes law school much less stressful than it already is.  
    • if you're specifically talking about the Jordaans, I personally make a point not to wear them until I've made my way up the ranks up a bit. despite a lot of the above comments, people who know know, and I don't think it' a great look if a student, including myself, is stunting with 1200 loafers when partners don't wear these kinds of things themselves. Perhaps permissible for dress down Fridays or on weekend when you're in the office, but would hands down eschew them if around senior associates, partners, clients, etc. 
    • I am a 2L going at Ulaval and currently have a 3.67 GPA (A-). But i've been told that since the grades at ulaval aren't curved, the grade is seen as worse than a 3.67 coming from another Law school (Udem or mcgill). I was wondering, since the "Course aux stages" is starting soon, how does that affect my chances getting into the firms I would love to go to (Norton, Mccarthy, Bcf).   Thanks!