RGoodfellow

My 1L midterm grades suck, should I still try at a summer job?

1 hour ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

Excellent grades are not a necessary condition for RA jobs, that’s for sure. 

I have friends who worked as RAs and I know for a fact some had terrible transcripts. 

It really depends on the professor. 

I don't think that anyone is saying that excellent grades are necessary for RA positions. However, many students with excellent grades will seek out RA positions. And I agree with Jaggers that they are often a good option that will provide an excellent experience.

2 hours ago, CleanHands said:

Didn't you have excellent grades though?

My grades were a non-factor for my RA position. I just got along well with the Prof. They only saw my grades as part of the formal application when I'd already been offered the job.

2 hours ago, Lawstudent97 said:

Did you finish 1L first in the class or all of law school?

Thats super impressive, teach me your ways lol 

Just first year. I finished second after getting a B+ in evidence. 

2 hours ago, erinl2 said:

I don't think that anyone is saying that excellent grades are necessary for RA positions. However, many students with excellent grades will seek out RA positions. And I agree with Jaggers that they are often a good option that will provide an excellent experience.

OK, to spell this out, Jaggers said he worked an RA position, CleanHands replied "Didn't you have excellent grades, though?".

One possible implication being that such grades are necessary for RA jobs, or at least that poor grades come close to precluding obtaining work as an RA.

So, I provided some addition information, drawn from the experience of my friends from law school. CleanHands then 'liked' the post. 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff

18 minutes ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

OK, to spell this out, Jaggers said he worked an RA position, CleanHands replied "Didn't you have excellent grades, though?".

One possible implication being that such grades are necessary for RA jobs, or at least that poor grades come close to precluding obtaining work as an RA.

So, I provided some addition information, drawn from the experience of my friends from law school. CleanHands then 'liked' the post. 

Oh, Quincy, you should try to eliminate the snark, at least, occasionally.

My guess is/was that CleanHands knows what Jaggers employment results were since he/she knows that he had top grades. I was simply adding to the discussion.

Can confirm that my grades didn't stop me from working/becoming a lawyer.

Volunteer and get as much practical experience as possible. You do not necessarily have to rely on the campus volunteer positions - your law school town likely has various social organizations where you can receive some training and volunteer as a case worker. The most fun I had during law school (besides my clubs) was interning (then volunteering) at a housing/poverty organization. It also gave me practical experience/client interaction training that I was able to leverage during my article search.

Some provinces also have programs specifically for certain areas of law. Ontario law students were drafting family court documents with Legal Aid.

1L hiring isn't that normal in Ontario. I looked at your history and see that you're that U of A. 1L hiring is more common. I do know people who ended in the Alberta market at the articling stage. There are "law-adjacent" positions in various organizations. I worked for the Feds for my 1L summer. You're a student so organizations can also take advantage of grants when hiring students. Friends of mine were able to create positions for themselves that way.

For more creative RA positions, look at some postings in other departments, or professors whether they have colleagues who require a law student for research. The faculty of Education hired a few law students every year to do research.

Just received a majority of my grades today - mostly B-'s with a B and B+. Is it worth applying for 1L formal recruits (toronto) with those grades and good law ec's? 

37 minutes ago, tortalicious12 said:

Just received a majority of my grades today - mostly B-'s with a B and B+. Is it worth applying for 1L formal recruits (toronto) with those grades and good law ec's? 

Your time is better spent looking at firms not hiring in the formal recruit. It sucks to be median pwned but you'll learn from this experience and be stronger come OCIs.

Edited by harveyspecter993