dwight98

When do you start articling? (Toronto)

Hello! I'm wondering when articling typically starts after graduation, specifically for Toronto? If I wanted to do the 3.5 year degree at McGill, would I need to wait until the summer to start articling if I got an articling position in Toronto? Given that Ontario grads would typically graduate in the spring, I'm not sure if there would be a gap. Thank you!

It depends on the employer. I believe the law society allows you to start articling earlier (but this may affect your licensing year, and therefore how many years you have to complete the qualifications).

Most articling positions that are recruited for (either in the formal 2L recruit, or the following summer articling recruit) start in August so there would be a gap.

Many mcgillians take advantage of the gap rather than stressing it. Some write march and travel all spring/summer. Some write the Quebec bar in the winter and the Ontario bar right after (I wouldn't recommend this; timelines would be tight). Some writing NY and Ontario. Some get cool internships. Etc. The world is your oyster.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

It depends on the employer. I believe the law society allows you to start articling earlier (but this may affect your licensing year, and therefore how many years you have to complete the qualifications).

Most articling positions that are recruited for (either in the formal 2L recruit, or the following summer articling recruit) start in August so there would be a gap.

Many mcgillians take advantage of the gap rather than stressing it. Some write march and travel all spring/summer. Some write the Quebec bar in the winter and the Ontario bar right after (I wouldn't recommend this; timelines would be tight). Some writing NY and Ontario. Some get cool internships. Etc. The world is your oyster.

Thank you for the insight! I definitely can see how that gap can be beneficial coming right out of law school.