Posted (edited)

Hello all,

I received confirmation of UBC Admissions' calculation of my cGPA over the phone, and it was actually much lower (by a little less than 4%) than the one I had self-calculated. Would anyone happen to know the "official" calculation method used by the Admissions Office by chance?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Edit: When I rounded down all my percentage grades above 90% to 90%, above 85% to 85%, etc..., I did come to the cGPA calculated by the office, without drops.

Edited by allardorbust

44 minutes ago, allardorbust said:

Hello all,

I received confirmation of UBC Admissions' calculation of my cGPA over the phone, and it was actually much lower (by a little less than 4%) than the one I had self-calculated. Would anyone happen to know the "official" calculation method used by the Admissions Office by chance?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Edit: When I rounded down all my percentage grades above 90% to 90%, above 85% to 85%, etc..., I did come to the cGPA calculated by the office, without drops.

If your school does percentage grades, you literally just drop your four lowest marks. This is what I did and I got the exact value that was confirmed to me by the admissions office.

If your school uses gpa without a percentage, then I’m not sure

Hmm, my school uses percentage, when I just double checked, my self-calculated cGPA without drops is still higher than the value that the office gave me :( should I call to check or not bother? The status did change to offer.

• Confused 1

Is there a reason why you're concerned about your cGPA if you've already received an offer? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tagger said:

Is there a reason why you're concerned about your cGPA if you've already received an offer? 

Based on another thread, I take it that it is likely to affect his scholarship prospects, which I guess is legitimate. A problem some of us could only dream of! ;)

-GM

22 minutes ago, GrumpyMountie said:

Based on another thread, I take it that it is likely to affect his scholarship prospects, which I guess is legitimate. A problem some of us could only dream of! ;)

-GM

Unless he retook the LSAT he had a 161 though, which is quite low for Allard (where the average for students admitted under the general category is 166) and likely precludes entrance scholarships regardless of GPA.

25 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Unless he retook the LSAT he had a 161 though, which is quite low for Allard (where the average for students admitted under the general category is 166) and likely precludes entrance scholarships regardless of GPA.

Fair enough! Just saw it as his likely reason for asking, based on his past post. I certainly admit to complete ignorance regarding Allard's requirements.

-GM

25 minutes ago, GrumpyMountie said:

Fair enough! Just saw it as his likely reason for asking, based on his past post. I certainly admit to complete ignorance regarding Allard's requirements.

-GM

Naw, you're probably still right about the OP's motivation, because that's the only thing that makes any sense at all (although it's still dubious). But I'll shut up now and let them speak for themselves.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:06 PM, CleanHands said:

I did end up with a 166! 😀