LucasBill

Sticky Situation- Chances?

Im currently in my 5th year at U of A finishing up at the end of the winter 2020 semester. I've had really rough ride through uni. GPA wise I got a 2.2 first year, 1.7 second year,  2.4 third year. Almost failed out 4th year first semester (3 f's 1B) but I bounced back with 3.7 in the second semester. Now 5th year i have 3.88 first sem and this winter im expecting similar results. I did all the math and if I wait an extra year and apply for 2021 admission my L2 be in the 3.7-3.9 range. I wrote the LSAT in march and got a 162. 

Reason for my prior low gpa was because I established a business from scratch on my own fresh out of hs and I ran it for 3 years, now i'm no longer running the buisness so i've had the chance to boost my gpa higher.  

Questions: When calculating my L2 i included Spring + Summer Courses that I completed. (2 spring + 2 Summer) . Does L2 Include Spring + Summer? 

Any thoughts on my chances at U of A Law ? 

Don't hesitate to write long responses, I love reading. 

Thanks in advance 

“L2” is a bit of a misnomer here - UofA uses your last 60 credits, starting from the bottom of your transcript and moving up, regardless of summer/spring/fall semester, even online courses. If your 60th credit falls within a semester in which you took multiple courses, they include all classes and average it out. Does that change your calculation?

Are you applying for the 2020 cycle or 2021? If 2020, I’m afraid you might need a miracle - those 3 Fs and a B will drag your GPA down hard, even with your respectable LSAT score.

28 minutes ago, TimTheEnchanter said:

“L2” is a bit of a misnomer here - UofA uses your last 60 credits, starting from the bottom of your transcript and moving up, regardless of summer/spring/fall semester, even online courses. If your 60th credit falls within a semester in which you took multiple courses, they include all classes and average it out. Does that change your calculation?

Are you applying for the 2020 cycle or 2021? If 2020, I’m afraid you might need a miracle - those 3 Fs and a B will drag your GPA down hard, even with your respectable LSAT score.

Thanks,

Actually my 3rd year first semester will not be in my last 60 credits if I apply for 2021. I did course overload in the spring to avoid that. However for 2020, that semester is well in there. Im starting to wonder if there is anywhere in Canada that is worth applying as of now. I applied to TRU but i'm not sure to be hopeful or not. 

Posted (edited)

Eesh, that’s a tough call. Maybe UNB? They drop your lowest 25% and I understand admissions are still open.

In all honesty though, your money may be better-spent on tuition to get your L2/B2 into a competitive range, which seems counter-intuitive, but you may qualify for scholarships next year! Also do some research into USask for next year (their admissions are closed for 2020) - they calculate your B2 full-time years, but I can’t remember whether they need consecutive semesters or will split them up.

Edited by TimTheEnchanter

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, TimTheEnchanter said:

Eesh, that’s a tough call. Maybe UNB? They drop your lowest 25% and I understand admissions are still open.

In all honesty though, your money may be better-spent on tuition to get your L2/B2 into a competitive range, which seems counter-intuitive, but you may qualify for scholarships next year! Also do some research into USask for next year (their admissions are closed for 2020) - they calculate your B2 full-time years, but I can’t remember whether they need consecutive semesters or will split them up.

Yeah it is. but what's your opinion on my chance for 2021 admission? at u of a? I count down 60 credits and it doesnt go into my bad semester. (5 classes 4th year 2nd sem, 5 classes in the spring summer, plus the ten classes this year). Which would put me at an L2: 3.8~ . My shitty past won't ruin me i hope.

Thanks for the feedback again. I also wouldn't mind hearing about your journey 

Edited by LucasBill

With a GPA of ~3.8 and LSAT of 162 (you only took it once, right?) you have a great chance of getting in to the U of A.

And yes, your "shitty" past won't ruin you. For context, I went to the U of A almost 10 years ago in undergrad and actually flunked out due to mental health issues. I took time off and then did my undergrad at MacEwan. Graduated with distinction and got 167 on the LSAT and early acceptance into law school with scholarship at U of A this year. I had the same kind of worries as you. You can also explain your circumstances in the personal statement though with your marks you'd probably get in before the holistic review anyways.

Just a small note: U of S admissions for 2020 are still open until February 1st. However, it does sound like your 1st semester from last year would drag you out of competitive range for the time being. Might be worth running the numbers, though, if they're willing to wait and see your marks from this final stellar semester. :) Your LSAT is well above their admitted median, so if your final 4 semesters can get you to 3.2 or 3.3, there might juuuuust be a window for you.

Otherwise I echo the above - you should be in good shape for both L2/B2 schools next year!

-GM

On 1/5/2020 at 5:38 PM, TimTheEnchanter said:

Also, it came up to my mind, in my L2 i have a class that i've failed before. so its a repeat, do they treat that any differently? cause i got an A- the secound time around. 

On 2/10/2020 at 8:26 PM, LucasBill said:

Also, it came up to my mind, in my L2 i have a class that i've failed before. so its a repeat, do they treat that any differently? cause i got an A- the secound time around. 

From what others have posted over the various threads, I understand they will count your re-do. I just don’t know how reliable this info is.

But the stakes for you are really high if I’m wrong. If that class doesn’t count, it looks like they would need to dip into your *ahem* “less than stellar” semester. By my calculation, those 3 Fs and a B- would drag your L2 from 3.8 down to about 3.3. That would bring you outside the applicant profile even with your solid LSAT.  I would definitely call Admissions to confirm that re-do.

Luckily, UofA is very forgiving for those of us who massively screwed up early in our academic journey (I also have my fair share of Fs on my undergrad transcript). As long as they don’t dip in to your “shady” semester, I honestly can’t see how you wouldn’t get accepted in the 2021 Regular cycle.

Let us know what Admissions say - I’m curious!

On 1/10/2020 at 12:09 PM, GrumpyMountie said:

Just a small note: U of S admissions for 2020 are still open until February 1st. However, it does sound like your 1st semester from last year would drag you out of competitive range for the time being. Might be worth running the numbers, though, if they're willing to wait and see your marks from this final stellar semester. :) Your LSAT is well above their admitted median, so if your final 4 semesters can get you to 3.2 or 3.3, there might juuuuust be a window for you.

Otherwise I echo the above - you should be in good shape for both L2/B2 schools next year!

-GM

Correct me if I'm wrong but U of S doesn't take prior UAlberta students anymore. Some kind of buerocratic issue. 

3 minutes ago, Kingifer said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but U of S doesn't take prior UAlberta students anymore. Some kind of buerocratic issue. 

I was just accepted to U of S this morning, and I completed my undergrad at U of A