freshman

Explanations to admission committee

Hello,

I have applied for 2020 cycle for law school. 30 years old here, with a 3.2 GPA and 158 LSAT. A lot of work experience and some decent volunteer experience. My life has been pretty rough with surviving physical abuse, living with PTSd etc. I am 100% sure that there are people out there who have it worse than I did. These circumstances have affected a lot of my academic life. I have submitted my PS but it does not shed light too much on what actually happened. I was told that I should not include something that sensitive with details. So there is only one line of me being  survivor and how it is going to help with pursue law. Now, A lot of people are telling me that I should have included a lot more info about the incidents. Should I write an email to admissions and see if I could be looked at the non existent holistic view/special consideration? if yes, to whom or where? Help is very much appreciated. 

Thanks!

The lowest gpa that was accepted for class of 2022 was 3.3 with a 165-166 Lsat. The applicant profile doesnt show holistic admits but its probably a shot in the dark with your gpa. Other schools are more holistic. Did you apply to other schools as a discretionary/ special applicant.

Your file will automatically be sent to the holistic round in the (likely) event you do not get an offer in the Regular category - Laura at Admissions confirmed this with me last year. I don’t know how much LSAT/GPA factor in to the holistic review, although you can make an educated guess by looking at the last round of acceptances on last year’s Acceptance thread.

As for the content of your PS, Admissions won’t tell you what to put in there. UofA plays their cards really close to their chest and don’t reveal the criteria upon which they base their holistic admits.

My recommendation: focus your PS on proving that you have what it takes to succeed in law school and the practice of law. Your personal challenge can tell a story of resilience/grit if done right.

Chin up - 36 students were admitted in the holistic round last year!

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 2:45 PM, AJD19 said:

The lowest gpa that was accepted for class of 2022 was 3.3 with a 165-166 Lsat. The applicant profile doesnt show holistic admits but its probably a shot in the dark with your gpa. Other schools are more holistic. Did you apply to other schools as a discretionary/ special applicant.

I have applied to Calgary as well. Hoping to stay in Alberta if I can. 

This is a question you should just email admissions directly. 

You need to make it clear how those issues are behind you. With a lsat score below admissions average and recent grades far below the average, it is unclear how you do that. Law is difficult, you need to be careful not to convince the committee that you don't have the mental fortitude for it.