Ryguy96

How much can a "upward trend" help?

Just wondering if anyone has any input on how "helpful" a strong upward trend in grades can be on your application.

For the majority of my undergrad I received nothing but B's (with plus and minus as well). Then in my most recent 11 courses, I have received 5 A's and 5 A-'s, with only a single B+. Basically this has resulted in a cgpa that isn't competitive, but a 3.485 L2. 

I know it's highly subjective, but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to how much this trend would help my case. For reference, my LSAT is 158, I have a ton of EC's and I applied to UofA, UofC, TRU, SASK, DAL. 

I think people will struggle to tell you your chances without you sharing your cGPA. Also, do you have any personal connection to Saskatchewan listed on your USask application?

My cGPA is largely irrelevant though given that those are all L2 schools (except Sask which is B2). But no, I do not have any Saskatchewan connection. 

Schools, as a rule, only care about the grade number that they say they use. For UBC that is cgpa with some dropped courses, for UofA that is last2.

Schools don't, and can't, take that detailed a look at your application. It is the same with difficulty of courses, or major, or level of courses, or any other type of question. Change your frame of reference from yourself (am I going to get in --> will X help me get in?) to the school (how to select the best possible class for the least possible cost --> does considering X improve the class enough to justify considering it?). 

Tl;dr Trends don't matter at all. 

1 minute ago, Mal said:

Change your frame of reference from yourself (am I going to get in --> will X help me get in?) to the school (how to select the best possible class for the least possible cost --> does considering X improve the class enough to justify considering it?). 

This is actually a good way of looking at it, thanks for the input. 

On 12/30/2019 at 4:49 PM, Ryguy96 said:

My cGPA is largely irrelevant though given that those are all L2 schools (except Sask which is B2). But no, I do not have any Saskatchewan connection. 

I guess it just doesn’t make a lot of sense that you’re asking about the positive effect of your upward cGPA trend but all the schools are L2 schools - by definition they don’t look at your earlier undergrad years. But maybe they do? It seems unlikely though if they’re trying to compare applicants using the same criteria.

On 12/30/2019 at 6:49 PM, Ryguy96 said:

"My cGPA is largely irrelevant"

You don't really need any input.

9 hours ago, albertabean said:

I guess it just doesn’t make a lot of sense that you’re asking about the positive effect of your upward cGPA trend but all the schools are L2 schools - by definition they don’t look at your earlier undergrad years. But maybe they do? It seems unlikely though if they’re trying to compare applicants using the same criteria.

9 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

"My cGPA is largely irrelevant"

You don't really need any input.

Yeah, I guess I just wasn't too sure about whether or not they still look at all of your transcripts, but just use the L2 for your official GPA calculation. As well as if transitioning from all B's in the first half of my L2 to all A's in the second have makes any difference.

Never mind though, thanks anyways! still appreciate the responses. 

• Like 1