SlippingJimmy

Crown Student Cover Letter Advice

Off the top of my head you want to mention: you are organized, quick to learn, confident on your feet, and have excellent research skills. 

Crown have a quasi-judicial role. Make sure you get that. It’s not just lip service to an idea: Crown fully embrace it and are guided by that principle every day. If you don’t know what that means, look it up.

Your cover letter should be succinct and flawless. A big part of Crown work is getting the point across clearly and briefly in under ten minutes in a busy courtroom because they have 80 files to get through in one day. Your writing should signal that this is a skill you posses: no wordiness, no saying the same thing two ways, no meandering. 

• Like 3

Look at the job posting, as it will normally list the skills/experience required. 

Government cover letters are (or should be) quite formulaic, as you just go through the items you need to hit those particular criteria in the posting. 

If you have the grades and experience, and they are clearly outlined in your materials,  you'll move on to the next stage. No need for an elaborate letter.  

4 hours ago, LaurenDesouza said:

Your cover letter should meet the eye of your ultimate employer first, and it won’t be mistaken to say that you have just one strike to make it work for you! And you still need a help of experts in writing resume -  or cover letter then Resume Folks can surely help them in best manner.

Shameless plug. But with that grammar, I wouldn’t let YOU pay ME to write my cover letter. Lol.

Hi everyone. Thanks for your cover letter advice.

I got an interview. Does anyone have any advice for summer student interviews with the Ontario Crown? (Questions to  prepare for, materials to read etc.)

Feel free to PM me as well if you don't want to reply here.

Edited by SlippingJimmy
Had another thought

@SlippingJimmy just wondering if this was for the Barrie and/or Newmarket crown's office ? I applied too and haven't heard back, maybe it's time to loose hope? 

On 1/15/2020 at 9:15 PM, SlippingJimmy said:

Hi everyone. Thanks for your cover letter advice.

I got an interview. Does anyone have any advice for summer student interviews with the Ontario Crown? (Questions to  prepare for, materials to read etc.)

Feel free to PM me as well if you don't want to reply here.

I suggest preparing for questions like “what is the role of the Crown”, behavioural/situational questions, questions where you’re asked to explain what skills and experiences you have that would make you a good summer student. The Crown Prosecutions Manual may be a good thing to skim over, although I’m not saying you have to study it indepth. 

• Like 1