Jump to content
Luckycharm

Got an offer ? I want to make a plea to you

Recommended Posts

This plea is on behalf of all those who are waiting for an offer. - I am not one of them

If you received an offer from school A and you will decline, please let school A knows ASAP so that the school can offer your spots to another applicant. Please do not wait till the deadline or let it lapse without taking any action. 

If you received an offer from your top priority school and you will definitely decline offers from another schools, please withdraw your application. 

I think in Ontario, you will be automatically withdraw from other schools if you firmly accepted one school. 

If you are not too sure and you still want to consider another school before you make a final decision, you can provisionally accept (in Ontario) the offer and wait for the

other school. But please withdraw from those schools that you will definitely not going.  

I heard people saying since they paid the application fees, there is nothing wrong to wait and see how many offers they eventually get...  bragging rights ?  

Hope that helps

Edited by Luckycharm
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good advice from an expert observer of many, many admissions cycles on here!

Those of us who may be more marginal candidates for some schools would really appreciate it if some of the highest flyers didn't sit on acceptances they don't need too long!

-GM

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrumpyMountie said:

Good advice from an expert observer of many, many admissions cycles on here!

Those of us who may be more marginal candidates for some schools would really appreciate it if some of the highest flyers didn't sit on acceptances they don't need too long!

-GM

I am making a plea... not an advice. People do have their rights to sit on their offers.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

I am making a plea... not an advice. People do have their rights to sit on their offers.... 

Euh. Sorry I guess. I am using the word 'advice' in a non-legal manner. I am still an 0L. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who has already accepted an offer, I wasn't sure what the best way was to notify the other schools. I know you can decline through OLSAS, but do you just email the other schools' admissions departments indicating that you have accepted an offer from another university?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Astrowelkyn said:

As someone who has already accepted an offer, I wasn't sure what the best way was to notify the other schools. I know you can decline through OLSAS, but do you just email the other schools' admissions departments indicating that you have accepted an offer from another university?

If you "firmly" accepted an offer from any Ontario school, I think application to all other schools will be automatically withdrew. However, you can "provisionally" accept and keep other schools that you haven't get an offer "open". 

I never have this privilege, but I think you can provisionally accept only  "one" offer at any given time.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

If you "firmly" accepted an offer from any Ontario school, I think application to all other schools will be automatically withdrew. However, you can "provisionally" accept and keep other schools that you haven't get an offer "open". 

I never have this privilege, but I think you can provisionally accept only  "one" offer at any given time.   

I've accepted my offer to UBC, but I did decline my offer to UOttawa through OLSAS, but I have offers from UNB/Dal and presumably UofM in near future. Is it better for me to email each of those schools individually?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Astrowelkyn said:

I've accepted my offer to UBC, but I did decline my offer to UOttawa through OLSAS, but I have offers from UNB/Dal and presumably UofM in near future. Is it better for me to email each of those schools individually?

That's what I did. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Astrowelkyn said:

I've accepted my offer to UBC, but I did decline my offer to UOttawa through OLSAS, but I have offers from UNB/Dal and presumably UofM in near future. Is it better for me to email each of those schools individually?

If UBC s your top choice then congrats.

Let them know to save their time.`

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will also pledge to decline offers I won’t be accepting as soon as possible. However I’m afraid that I’m so torn between schools this will come after the school tours in late February :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lawstudent97 said:

I will also pledge to decline offers I won’t be accepting as soon as possible. However I’m afraid that I’m so torn between schools this will come after the school tours in late February :(

Me too, I can’t make a decision right now without a little more research 🙁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, albertabean said:

Me too, I can’t make a decision right now without a little more research 🙁

Take all the time you need. Ask people from this forum if needed. 

Are there any schools that you have not heard from but you will definitely NOT considering?

e.g.  your priority

first Priority- School A, B and C

second priority  D & E

third priority      F & G

 

You got an offer from A and D and you can't decide between A or D and you still want to hear from B, C and E. You should take all the time you need to make that decision. 

However,  Can you rule out F & G and consider withdraw your application? 

 

Edited by Luckycharm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question I hope you all can help with. I've been accepted to UNB and UOttawa and I need to let UNB know by January 9th, is it possible to accept UNB but still wait on the potential of DAL? And can I accept UNB to keep it and keep UOttawa as an option on OSLAS until I fly there to see the school? 

 

I had planned to make a decision over the break but I suddenly and tragically lost one of my best friends this break and I just haven't had the mental capacity to make this incredibly important decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HopefulB said:

I have a question I hope you all can help with. I've been accepted to UNB and UOttawa and I need to let UNB know by January 9th, is it possible to accept UNB but still wait on the potential of DAL? And can I accept UNB to keep it and keep UOttawa as an option on OSLAS until I fly there to see the school? 

 

I had planned to make a decision over the break but I suddenly and tragically lost one of my best friends this break and I just haven't had the mental capacity to make this incredibly important decision. 

Since UNB is not under OLSAS, I imagine you can pay your deposit and secure a seat while waiting for Dal. If you get Dal, you can let UNB know you want to withdraw. You'll likely lose your deposit but at least you can secure your seat while you wait. I didn't apply to Ontario schools so I can't speak to how that will work with Ottawa but others have said you can provisionally accept and still be okay. I personally wouldn't pay more than one deposit if I'm waiting for my preferred school though.

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

Edited by Psychometronic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HopefulB said:

I have a question I hope you all can help with. I've been accepted to UNB and UOttawa and I need to let UNB know by January 9th, is it possible to accept UNB but still wait on the potential of DAL? And can I accept UNB to keep it and keep UOttawa as an option on OSLAS until I fly there to see the school? 

 

I had planned to make a decision over the break but I suddenly and tragically lost one of my best friends this break and I just haven't had the mental capacity to make this incredibly important decision. 

Take all the time you need. I can not speak of schools outside Ontario. You can provisionally accept Ottawa and wait till end of June. However, you may have to pay Ottawa deposit sometime before that. 

I spent 1L in Ottawa- great school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • Obviously I can't speak for @QuincyWagstaff but I will say my experience was similar to his (had no issues receiving interviews for Crown positions in Toronto and went to a BC law school) and I only had a low B+ average (barely top third of the class).
    • Register for the exam, then all you have to do is email them that you're taking that exam (or indicate in your application) and they will hold off until January; schools don't even reject until way later.
    • I went from scoring pretty low on LG to -1/-2 by: 1. Reading the powerscore LG bible  2. Drilling LG by type (grouping, linear, hybrid) untimed and then timed 3. Drilling full timed sections, watching the 7sage explanation for each game and re-doing the ones where I missed inferences! I hope that helps! Good luck
    • I did the same thing. Could not find time to study at all.
    • I won't discuss this point further with either you or @QuincyWagstaff as you have seemingly no desire to change your ways. This is unfortunate and we all lose out. For others, perhaps more interested in learning about things, statistical significance can be found in any non-zero correlation given a sufficient sample size despite the differentiation that QW distinguishes as being an important one. It is something that has also given rise to the term "practical significance", to which QW and CH appear to be unware of. To put is succinctly, the difference between significant and insignificant is not itself significant.  Edit -Then again, I am on the spectrum. So maybe it's that.  

×
×
  • Create New...