Lemongrab

Quebec Student Loans and Bursary

Hi!

Does anyone know if there is a limit for receiving financial aid in Quebec? 

It says that the eligibility period depends on education level and type of degree, and it also says that for bachelor degree the limit is 30 months for receiving bursary and 39 months for receiving loan.

I did a few years in different programs and now it says that I've used 22 months of financial aid. Does that mean that when I start law school, I can only receive 8 months of bursary and another 9 for loans? Or does it reset when you start a new program?

Does that mean that if someone completed a bachelor's degree of 3 years, which would be 24 months, they can't get financial aid for their  entire second 3 year degree?

If anyone has experience with such a situation I'd really like to hear!

I'm reading this page:  http://www.afe.gouv.qc.ca/prets-et-boursesetudes-a-temps-plein/calcul-de-laide/periode-dadmissibilite/ more or less as saying that you run out of support after a certain number of months (fewer for bursaries than for loans). It looks like a year of university is counted as 8 months, so if you have used 22 months, then they figure you've been at it for almost 3 years. I'm assuming you either have finished or are about to finish a degree. 

However, there are a lot of permutations, particularly at the bottom of the page, and it doesn't seem to account for the possibility of a second degree at the same level, so it's hard to be sure. It does say (on the english version of the page): "The maximum number of months for which financial assistance can be awarded to students enrolled in university or equivalent programs is 88." I'm assuming that this is intended for people who advance from Bachelor's to Master's to Ph.D., but since it's not clear I think I'd call them or send them an email and ask. 

• Like 1

I just called, they told me i only have 8 months left loan + bursary (30 total), as well as another 9 months of only loan (39 total).
However, it is possible, once i am refused bursary or loan, to go to my schools financial assistance and request  a derogation of the decision. They might then extend the admissibility period.