capitalttruth

UOttawa Access Applicants 2019-2020

Using this thread to determine if any Access applicants have been accepted yet. 

If you've been accepted and don't mind sharing your stats, please post them here or PM me. For current applicants, if you don't mind sharing your stats/access claim, you can also post here.

I'm applying Access with a 3.4, 3.85, 164 LSAT, MA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capitalttruth said:

Using this thread to determine if any Access applicants have been accepted yet. 

If you've been accepted and don't mind sharing your stats, please post them here or PM me. For current applicants, if you don't mind sharing your stats/access claim, you can also post here.

I'm applying Access with a 3.4, 3.85, 164 LSAT, MA. 

Just curious; given your current stats, is uOttawa law still your No. 1 choice? Or, Osgoode or Queen's?

Best of luck!

4 minutes ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

Just curious; given your current stats, is uOttawa law still your No. 1 choice? Or, Osgoode or Queen's?

Best of luck!

uOttawa is still my number one but Queens is a close second and Osgoode would be cool (living in Toronto would be fun) and then Western. Would really like to get into uOttawa as I have a life here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, capitalttruth said:

uOttawa is still my number one but Queens is a close second and Osgoode would be cool (living in Toronto would be fun) and then Western. Would really like to get into uOttawa as I have a life here.

I will look forward to attending uOttawa law with you next year!

• Thanks 1

Access applicant as well, 3.2, 3.4 L2, 163 LSAT (still have to submit 4th year grades which are better)

good luck to all, hopefully access applicants start hearing back soon

also applied, no acceptance. wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to to switch to the general stream at this point? 

stats: 3.75 (I don't know how to find out what my L2 is on OLSAS), lsat 153. Have panic disorder and that was my claim for access as it effected my ability to write and do well on the lsat and intermittently effected school while raising children, but upon reflection I don't know whether it was strategic to apply access. 

33 minutes ago, bbritt said:

also applied, no acceptance. wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to to switch to the general stream at this point? 

stats: 3.75 (I don't know how to find out what my L2 is on OLSAS), lsat 153. Have panic disorder and that was my claim for access as it effected my ability to write and do well on the lsat and intermittently effected school while raising children, but upon reflection I don't know whether it was strategic to apply access. 

Why do you want to change now?

Wondering what you guys think about my access chances: cgpa 3.56, L2 3.9, and highest LSAT 155 and a masters degree in science (all As). I also got waitlisted last year from Ottawa with a 153.

thanks for your insight :)

Edited by Yeeeeee

I am mostly just nervous and reading the "access angst" thread made that 10x worse. I just don't know if access was the best choice at all although I did have access-type barriers. Read your feedback on that thread though and it is helpful for sure.

31 minutes ago, bbritt said:

I am mostly just nervous and reading the "access angst" thread made that 10x worse. I just don't know if access was the best choice at all although I did have access-type barriers. Read your feedback on that thread though and it is helpful for sure.

Hire a LSAT tutor and request additional time for the test.  

2 hours ago, Yeeeeee said:

Wondering what you guys think about my access chances: cgpa 3.56, L2 3.9, and highest LSAT 155 and a masters degree in science (all As). I also got waitlisted last year from Ottawa with a 153.

thanks for your insight :)

You should have applied to U of A! They count your graduate grades and only L2, so you would have a perfect GPA that would potentially be enough to mitigate 155. Something to think about for next year!

-GM

1 hour ago, Luckycharm said:

Hire a LSAT tutor and request additional time for the test.  

I didn't even realize that was a possibility. I will definitely look into that. Would I just email LSAC? Sorry for the million questions lol

1 hour ago, GrumpyMountie said:

You should have applied to U of A! They count your graduate grades and only L2, so you would have a perfect GPA that would potentially be enough to mitigate 155. Something to think about for next year!

-GM

unfortunately I was really hoping to stay in Ottawa as I have 2 children happily situated in school here!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bbritt said:

unfortunately I was really hoping to stay in Ottawa as I have 2 children happily situated in school here!

Consider hiring a private tutor if you don't get in this cycle.... however, I think you have a pretty good chance for wait list and you may still get an offer in late August....

I was accepted on Wednesday (February 12) - I applied under the Access category and the following are my stats:

LSAT: 161
L2: 3.82
cGPA: 3.70

Best of luck to you all, I hope you hear back soon with good news! 

This user was the only other Access post I saw in the accepted thread, other than mine. 

For info, I was accepted Feb 14 with cGPA 3.32, L2 3.6+, LSAT 157. I was one of the waitlisted access applicants that held on to the bitter end last cycle so I was in disbelief at being accepted this early on this cycle with the same stats. Wishing you all the best, def. know what it's like to feel that "access angst". I honestly thought I was 100% going to get rejected by uOttawa this cycle. 

41 minutes ago, penguinh said:

This user was the only other Access post I saw in the accepted thread, other than mine. 

For info, I was accepted Feb 14 with cGPA 3.32, L2 3.6+, LSAT 157. I was one of the waitlisted access applicants that held on to the bitter end last cycle so I was in disbelief at being accepted this early on this cycle with the same stats. Wishing you all the best, def. know what it's like to feel that "access angst". I honestly thought I was 100% going to get rejected by uOttawa this cycle. 

Congratulations on that acceptance. It's nice to see someone finally get accepted after being in waitlist purgatory for so long. Normally, after seeing an Access applicant be accepted with similar stats, I would say this gives me a chance this cycle. For some reason though, after going through this twice already, I'm beginning to see signs that my hope is false. I'm not saying anything for certain, but after two incredibly long and frustrating cycles, you learn to expect certain outcomes. I guess I can keep going back to school to raise my GPA, but its an exhausting process that I don't want to have to keep doing over and over again. I'm at a 3.39 right now, after this semester it will likely be closer to 3.5. With my 164, I would have thought that was competitive. But nothing yet, so I'm fearing the worst again.

What would you say in your application was different than last time? Did you write a new PS?

Edited by capitalttruth

9 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

Congratulations on that acceptance. It's nice to see someone finally get accepted after being in waitlist purgatory for so long. Normally, after seeing an Access applicant be accepted with similar stats, I would say this gives me a chance this cycle. For some reason though, after going through this twice already, I'm beginning to see signs that my hope is false. I'm not saying anything for certain, but after two incredibly long and frustrating cycles, you learn to expect certain outcomes. I guess I can keep going back to school to raise my GPA, but its an exhausting process that I don't want to have to keep doing over and over again. I'm at a 3.39 right now, after this semester it will likely be closer to 3.5. With my 164, I would have thought that was competitive. But nothing yet, so I'm fearing the worst again.

I feel this post right in my gut. As I see more people being accepted, I'm losing hope too. I had a mini breakdown last weekend about it, since I literally went through brain surgery 6 years ago and then worked my arse off as a mature student to get my BA hons in 4 years - all with the express intent of going to law school. It's been my goal for so long now, and I'm seeing my chances flush down the toilet. Really depressing, not gonna lie.

My GPA can't get much higher, and this term is shaping up the same as every other one (3.89, maybe 3.9something). I sort of thought that, if I don't get in, I could blame it on my LSAT. However, watching the accepted thread, I've seen LSAT numbers exactly equal to mine - or very close to mine - getting in. So, it's obviously not a make or break situation to have a lower end LSAT score.

If I don't get in this time, I was considering going back to uni for my second degree, since it could be done in a year. Now... I'm not so sure. If I go back to school full time, then I won't have time to do things that improve my appication in other areas - since those are my problem. I'm wondering if my time would be better spent volunteering at a couple of places and studying to redo my LSAT, again lol. In other words, take a year off to make myself more impressive on a holistic level. 

Since you've been through the process, do they give reasons for rejection or wait listing? Like, will they tell me that my PS or EC's sucked? Will they tell me to improve my LSAT? etc?

11 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

What would you say in your application was different than last time? Did you write a new PS?

Yes, I did write a new PS but I also had gotten feedback that my PS last year was pretty strong so I doubt it made much of a difference. One thing I did do differently with my PS this year was that I only briefly touched upon my access claim in my PS and left all the mental health stuff for the access part of it. I tried to minimize it because of last cycle and how I felt that we def. were at a bit of a disadvantage coming in with an access claim. I mean it makes sense. They want to hear that your mental health won't get in the way of your law school studies. 

I also changed up one of my references. I had 3 academic ones last year but had 1 non-academic and 2 academic ones this year due to Windsor requirements. And this year OLSAS made us include the amount of hours we spent in our ECs which maybe could have benefited me? I also transitioned into a full time position in my job industry this year. My ECs are all social justice related. 

If I'm being honest I think luck played a major role. I think i just got lucky on who on the admissions committee looked at my application this year. I guess they must have seen something in me because my stats are way lower than everyone else in the Accepted threads in all the schools I've received acceptances to so far.  

51 minutes ago, HopefulE said:

Since you've been through the process, do they give reasons for rejection or wait listing? Like, will they tell me that my PS or EC's sucked? Will they tell me to improve my LSAT? etc?

Ottawa said they don't give individualized feedback. Queen's eluded that my LSAT was subpar. Western gave super detailed feedback that was really helpful. Osgoode lowkey told me to go back to school to improve my GPA 💀.

2 hours ago, penguinh said:

Yes, I did write a new PS but I also had gotten feedback that my PS last year was pretty strong so I doubt it made much of a difference. One thing I did do differently with my PS this year was that I only briefly touched upon my access claim in my PS and left all the mental health stuff for the access part of it. I tried to minimize it because of last cycle and how I felt that we def. were at a bit of a disadvantage coming in with an access claim. I mean it makes sense. They want to hear that your mental health won't get in the way of your law school studies. 

I also changed up one of my references. I had 3 academic ones last year but had 1 non-academic and 2 academic ones this year due to Windsor requirements. And this year OLSAS made us include the amount of hours we spent in our ECs which maybe could have benefited me? I also transitioned into a full time position in my job industry this year. My ECs are all social justice related. 

If I'm being honest I think luck played a major role. I think i just got lucky on who on the admissions committee looked at my application this year. I guess they must have seen something in me because my stats are way lower than everyone else in the Accepted threads in all the schools I've received acceptances to so far.  

Ottawa said they don't give individualized feedback. Queen's eluded that my LSAT was subpar. Western gave super detailed feedback that was really helpful. Osgoode lowkey told me to go back to school to improve my GPA 💀.

That's interesting considering that I spent a good chunk of my PS discussing how I specifically applied certain practices to overcome my mental health condition and complete my MA and how I thought these practices would help me complete law school. I figured they would want an explanation as to why my cGPA was low so I decided to remain truthful but diligent in illustrating why a few bad grades were bringing down my entire cGPA. I talked with a representative from the Equity and Access Committee at uOttawa who said that my PS and Access claim were very comprehensive and illustrated a good profile.

It is only February and I imagine there are still many Access offers to go out. But deep down I'm really afraid my efforts to improve all aspects of my application, from the LSAT, to the GPA, to the Access claim, will be for nothing. It is an incredibly discouraging feeling especially after all these years trying to get in.

Edited by capitalttruth
  • Like 1