LawGuy1995

Articling student Christmas bonus

Also at a Big National Firm. We got $400. Another friend at a similar firm also got $400.

My company just drops the annual bonus just before Christmas (today, in fact). Why do it twice? I got $22,900, which is really $900, since the $22 is pretty much automatic.

1 hour ago, LawGuy1995 said:

This definitely makes me concerned for my firms finances. How else can I know how the firm is doing? 

You’re definitely overthinking it.

• Like 2

My Christmas bonus for the last 3 years, as an associate at a large firm, has been less than the number in the OP. 

Performance bonus is a separate bonus. 

• Like 1

Was thinking of giving the articled students some $50 Amazon gift cards. Perhaps they would be happier with nothing.

Edited by TrialPrep
  • Like 3

At my previous firm, we'd all receive $300 on the last day before Christmas. I didn't think of it as a Christmas bonus but as a holiday gift (it was a smaller sized office where everyone would bring in gifts for everyone else).

• Like 1

I articled at a large firm. We didn't get anything for a holiday bonus. We also did not receive a performance bonus. I had no idea either was a thing for articling students until I read this thread. 

As an associate we get a small ($750) holiday bonus and then a performance bonus in the new year.  Generally we put the holiday bonus towards gifts/treats (nice scotch, fancy appetizers etc.) for the holidays. 

Performance bonus -- 50% into RRSPs and 50% into vacation(s). 

• Like 2

We never had holiday bonuses at the firm I worked at, either as a student or associate. I never got a performance bonus, but then again I never performed enough work to hit my hours targets. Other people did.

On 12/13/2019 at 12:54 PM, Jaggers said:

I have had some pretty cheap in-house Christmas parties, and they often use drink tickets, but have never been to one where you had to pay just to go to the party. Maybe in the government?

I can confirm that government Christmas parties are entire paid for by employees, either through buying a ticket, or doing fundraising throughout the year.

On 12/16/2019 at 9:45 AM, Malicious Prosecutor said:

I can confirm that government Christmas parties are entire paid for by employees, either through buying a ticket, or doing fundraising throughout the year.

Also can confirm. We do a lunch out. The lawyers pay for their own meal, and meals of assistants and articling students. Depends on the branch, but can cost between $50-100 each. 

On 12/13/2019 at 9:27 AM, LawGuy1995 said:

My firm (big national firm in Toronto) gave us a Christmas bonus of $300 and I am wondering if this seems low to anyone else? I’ve heard most firms give out a couple thousand, is that true?

That seems a bit low to me, I work as a legal assistant PT at a small firm of 2 lawyers and I got a bonus of $200 last year

Just now, meandtheboys said:

That seems a bit low to me, I work as a legal assistant PT at a small firm of 2 lawyers and I got a bonus of $200 last year

Why would you assume a lawyer would get a larger Christmas bonus than an assistant? 

I know small firm lawyers and soles that give their assistants thousands of dollars. 

For lawyers, that is much, much less common. A year end bonus based on billables or receipts can be tens of thousands, but a Christmas "bonus" is not normally a significant contributor to your compensation as a lawyer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

Why would you assume a lawyer would get a larger Christmas bonus than an assistant? 

I know small firm lawyers and soles that give their assistants thousands of dollars. 

For lawyers, that is much, much less common. A year end bonus based on billables or receipts can be tens of thousands, but a Christmas "bonus" is not normally a significant contributor to your compensation as a lawyer. 

Not disagreeing with you at all - I just based my assumption on how much work articling students do compared to the relatively small amount I do part time, so I was surprised the difference wouldn't be higher in their favour

41 minutes ago, meandtheboys said:

Not disagreeing with you at all - I just based my assumption on how much work articling students do compared to the relatively small amount I do part time, so I was surprised the difference wouldn't be higher in their favour

But the OP is at a large firm. I know of articling students at small firms that received $500-$1000. 

But they were not receiving a large firm articling salary....

Edited by QuincyWagstaff

2 hours ago, Hegdis said:

Maybe it’s just me but it seems incredibly tasteless and entitled to complain that the free money some one gave you for Christmas is not enough free money, because you heard that some one else some where else got even more free money.

I see where you're coming, but at the end of the day it's part of your overall compensation. If students knew that firm X pays a $300 Christmas bonus and Firms Z & Y pay $3500, they may have made a different decision about their employment (not saying that's a good reason to choose a firm over another - but I think we should be open about this).

30 minutes ago, georgecostanzajr said:

I see where you're coming, but at the end of the day it's part of your overall compensation. If students knew that firm X pays a $300 Christmas bonus and Firms Z & Y pay $3500, they may have made a different decision about their employment (not saying that's a good reason to choose a firm over another - but I think we should be open about this).

That student is not making decisions well.

• Like 1