LikeMike

Where do people who got Bay Street summer jobs, but who live out of town, stay for the summer?

Hey everyone,

Was wondering where people who got Bay Street summer jobs, but who live out of town, stay for the summer? 

I heard a lot of people talk about UofT res, but if anyone could give me specifics regarding which one(s), that would be great! I would prefer somewhere within walking distance of the Bay and King area, so any suggestions would be helpful. 

Thanks 

Edited by LikeMike

Regarding UofT res, I know some Bay Street summer students stay at Woodsworth and Innis res. It would be a longish walk (maybe 45 minutes?), the advantage is that it's close to the Line 1 subway. 

Close to the subway and an easy coast downhill in the morning on bike (the Bikeshare membership will run you about $100 for the summer). 

There are usually summer sublets available too. 

Woodsworth is a move. You’re basically on top of St George station. 

Downside is you have to pay them up front and need to get three or five people to sign up with you if you don’t want a suite with strangers. 

Another thing a summer student did that I thought was smart was getting in touch with an articling student and subletting their place since many articlers go on a trip between the end of articling and starting back as an associate. I’d wait until after hire-back before trying that though...

20 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

Any specific reasons? 

Ryerson buildings aren't that well maintained, and - while I don't know about the dorms - their classes have been infested with bed bugs before.

Woodsworth is ideal. You get your own room, only share a bathroom with one other person, and have a full kitchen and living room. So many people who live there are also on bay and its a 10 minute subway down. Would highly recommend. 

16 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Ryerson buildings aren't that well maintained, and - while I don't know about the dorms - their classes have been infested with bed bugs before.

Jesus this is an overstatement. They found bed bugs in one of the classrooms within one of the buildings one time. It doesn't speak for the entire campus.

Some of the residences are okay and perfectly fine for a summer job, others are not that great.

2 minutes ago, georgecostanzajr said:

Jesus this is an overstatement. They found bed bugs in one of the classrooms within one of the buildings one time. It doesn't speak for the entire campus.

Some of the residences are okay and perfectly fine for a summer job, others are not that great.

No. The news picked up on one instance of bedbugs. If you think ryerson and its area don't have a chronic pest problem, you're out to lunch.

Source: I went to ryerson for four years, and lived in the area for two.

Just now, pzabbythesecond said:

No. The news picked up on one instance of bedbugs. If you think ryerson and its area don't have a chronic pest problem, you're out to lunch.

Source: I went to ryerson for four years, and lived in the area for two.

I went to Ryerson too and will respectfully disagree with that. Many of my friends had no issues while living in their residence. Some of their buildings aren't the greatest, but to say this about their entire campus is a gross overstatement.

57 minutes ago, georgecostanzajr said:

I went to Ryerson too and will respectfully disagree with that. Many of my friends had no issues while living in their residence. Some of their buildings aren't the greatest, but to say this about their entire campus is a gross overstatement.

Any recollection of which residences are better than others? They seem cheaper than UofT's, and perhaps a bit closer? I don't know the area well. 

42 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

Any recollection of which residences are better than others? They seem cheaper than UofT's, and perhaps a bit closer? I don't know the area well. 

I can't remember which one people enjoyed more - Pittman or ILC. I would join the ryerson facebook groups or general off campus for ryerson/u of t students and ask there. It's quite close. It's roughly a 20 minute walk. U of T's is not really walking distance since it's all the way up on Bloor st (probably closer to 50 minutes) - you would most likely be taking the subway. Just to put it out there, Ryerson being located at Yonge and Dundas, can be a bit sketchy at night. It's not really bad in my experience , but definitely attracts some interesting people. The area of U of T's campus is better in that respect if that's a serious consideration for you.

21 minutes ago, georgecostanzajr said:

I can't remember which one people enjoyed more - Pittman or ILC. I would join the ryerson facebook groups or general off campus for ryerson/u of t students and ask there. It's quite close. It's roughly a 20 minute walk. U of T's is not really walking distance since it's all the way up on Bloor st (probably closer to 50 minutes) - you would most likely be taking the subway. Just to put it out there, Ryerson being located at Yonge and Dundas, can be a bit sketchy at night. It's not really bad in my experience , but definitely attracts some interesting people. The area of U of T's campus is better in that respect if that's a serious consideration for you.

Great, thanks! I'll keep doing my research with that in mind.