harveyspecter993

Hardest upper-year course to get an A in?

I'm looking to challenge myself. Which courses are known for being really difficult to do well in? I've heard that public international law and administrative law are hard courses. Is that true and what are the other hard ones?

2 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I think you're really trying to avoid difficult courses, but don't want to admit it.

What you think is irrelevant to me if you have nothing valuable to contribute.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I'm looking to challenge myself. Which courses are known for being really difficult to do well in? I've heard that public international law and administrative law are hard courses. Is that true and what are the other hard ones?

It's different for everyone. There's no rule.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I can't contribute as much value without knowing what you're actually after!

Admin is meant to be hard? It has been one of the easier classes to study for so far.

This thread gonna make me paranoid about my Admin exam in a few days

The notoriously difficult ones at UBC have been admin and tax and, depending on the prof, trusts. Conflicts is also thought to be on the more difficult side. Admin and evidence seem to be easier in the summer when the courses are condensed.

Edit: Admin is mandatory for us.

Edited by Psychometronic

I found Evidence to be the most difficult course. I did not find it interesting and there was a lot of material.

Admin, Tax, and Business Organizations (which some ppl say are tough) were not difficult for me. I liked reading the materials and going to class.

I heard Conflict of Laws is a tough class; I didn't take it, but it sounds super interesting.

Anyways, I guess the point is that it's going to vary a lot person to person. 

Edited by conge

I, and many of my classmates, were quite thankful York went on strike in our final year so we could pass/fail tax. 

12 hours ago, CleanHands said:

I have yet to take it but I've heard from many people that conflicts is a particularly difficult course.

12 hours ago, Ptolemy said:

Evidence.  Admin. 

Conflicts, Admin, and Evidence were three of the highest grades I received in law school. 

12 hours ago, Rashabon said:

It's different for everyone. There's no rule.

Agree with this.

I found it difficult to get A's in lots of "easier" courses and I received some A's in notoriously difficult courses where I was legitimately worried about getting even a B after sitting the final. That's what the curve will do, sometimes. If everyone finds the material easy then separating from the pack into the A group can be tricky. If many struggle with the material then handling the material competently can be all that's needed to get an A! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

There is feature called ignore offered by this forum so that you can add members to the ignore list, FYI. 

• Like 1

Admin law is absurdly easy. There's like, three cases that matter, and the answer is always "reasonableness". 

You could pass admin law without reading the exam by typing "Based on the facts and a careful weighing of the Dunsmuir factors, the proper standard of review is reasonableness. In this case, the Tribunal's decision was reasonable and should not be interfered with." Honestly, that might be good for a B+ in admin. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Admin law is absurdly easy. There's like, three cases that matter, and the answer is always "reasonableness". 

You could pass admin law without reading the exam by typing "Based on the facts and a careful weighing of the Dunsmuir factors, the proper standard of review is reasonableness. In this case, the Tribunal's decision was reasonable and should not be interfered with." Honestly, that might be good for a B+ in admin. 

Yeah. Not a B+, though I don't know what a b+ is at other schools, but you can study for admin in 2 days, or even less, and grab a decent grade.

To do well in admin can be tough, because there are only so many ways to apply dunsmuir and/or Baker to any set of facts.

Once the vavlov trilogy comes out the class might get even easier, if Justice Abella has her way.