stressedapplicant

How holistic can UOttawa be? Low stats

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how holistic UOttawa really is? I've heard the occasional success story of individuals with 145 lsats and low cgpa's getting in but just how incredible do your EC's have to be to make up for this? I'm also wondering what makes a standout applicant in terms of CV/EC's?  

I get the classic comments about working for the PM or working as a UN Peacekeeper but from a more realistic stance, what would be considered as exceptional or put more simply, good enough to compensate for lower stats?

22 minutes ago, stressedapplicant said:

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how holistic UOttawa really is? I've heard the occasional success story of individuals with 145 lsats and low cgpa's getting in but just how incredible do your EC's have to be to make up for this? I'm also wondering what makes a standout applicant in terms of CV/EC's?  

I get the classic comments about working for the PM or working as a UN Peacekeeper but from a more realistic stance, what would be considered as exceptional or put more simply, good enough to compensate for lower stats?

Your stats?

1 minute ago, Luckycharm said:

Your stats?

I have a 3.6 CGPA and a 154 LSAT but I'm rewriting in January. For my EC's I worked on a bilateral trade deal between Canada and China, assisted in writing a bill that was passed in parliament, I currently work in a policy/legal position at National Defence, am president of a school club, am an active member of 2 more (writer for the school paper and an entrepreneurship club), I also volunteer for an organization that supports criminalized women both at the Ottawa courthouse and Ottawa detention centre. 

Here's the thing. 

How holistic is UOttawa? Not that holistic. They put significant emphasis on cGPA over other factors.

But in your case that's fine, since your cGPA is competitive for UOttawa. They tend to be quite forgiving to people with competitive cGPA and uncompetitive LSAT scores. With that said, for personal assurance, you could probably raise that score significantly by studying in anticipation for January.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stressedapplicant said:

I have a 3.6 CGPA and a 154 LSAT but I'm rewriting in January. For my EC's I worked on a bilateral trade deal between Canada and China, assisted in writing a bill that was passed in parliament, I currently work in a policy/legal position at National Defence, am president of a school club, am an active member of 2 more (writer for the school paper and an entrepreneurship club), I also volunteer for an organization that supports criminalized women both at the Ottawa courthouse and Ottawa detention centre. 

Your GPA is competitive. Your LSAT is a bit weak.  I say you have better than 70% chance. Hard to tell how your experience increase your chance. 

• Thanks 1

I wanted to ask if you applied already because if you have, just be free and enjoy the time you have.

No need to worry about things you cannot control :)

Although, it seems like you are rewriting your LSAT, so best of luck you!

Edit: Also your EC looks amazing! 

Edited by FVV23
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stressedapplicant said:

Just how many applicants do you think have ECs like that? And how is a 3.6 cGPA low for Ottawa? It is competitive for most law schools in Canada. 

There has been a wave of "humble brag" chance posts in the last month. It is getting pretty tiresome. I can assure you that people get into Ottawa with lower cGPA and LSAT score than you and do not have as many meaningful ECs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think this is necessarily a humble brag post. I saw an applicant in the 'rejected' thread post their stats cGPA 3.51 LSAT 163. That might scare me also

Edited by Disputes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Disputes said:

I don't think this is necessarily a humble brag post. I saw an applicant in the 'rejected thread' post their stats cGPA 3.51 LSAT 163. That might scare me also

I went through the rejected thread and found that a lot of people in the 3.5-3.6 range still didn't make the cut 😅Especially that one where the person even had a 163 🙃

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stressedapplicant said:

I went through the rejected thread and found that a lot of people in the 3.5-3.6 range still didn't make the cut 😅Especially that one where the person even had a 163 🙃

I suspect a lot of people lie about their stats, don't worry too much

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Disputes said:

I suspect a lot of people lie about their stats, don't worry too much

Or miscalculate (e.g. assume their school's system is the same as OLSAS') or have a horrible personal statement that sends massive red flags to a school or have somebody actively condemn them in their reference letter. They may be a datapoint with similar hard stats, but without all that context (which you'll never get), it's futile to read too much into it.

Edited by Turtles
  • Like 1

I got in last year with a 154! My cGPA was 3.75, but I didn't have any extracurriculars. I think you have a great shot! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jxxhowe said:

I got in last year with a 154! My cGPA was 3.75, but I didn't have any extracurriculars. I think you have a great shot! 

Were you on wait list?