adamsteth

Any U of T Law students here commute from out of town?

Given the extraordinary cost of living in TO it would be considerably more cost effective to take the train to Toronto (about an hour ride each way) everyday. 

I’m wondering how it would affect me as a 1L. How are classes spread out throughout the day? If there are morning and evening classes, it would be terrible commuting. 

Edited by adamsteth

6 hours ago, adamsteth said:

Given the extraordinary cost of living in TO it would be considerably more cost effective to take the train to Toronto (about an hour ride each way) everyday. 

I’m wondering how it would affect me as a 1L. How are classes spread out throughout the day? If there are morning and evening classes, it would be terrible commuting. 

Where are you coming from?

Come on man. It's first year of law school, not undergraduate studies anymore. Don't do it.

If anything, just rent a cheap basement room somewhere in Toronto and commute on the subway line.

I commuted all 3 years (in my last year now) 1.5 hours each way to UT. Classes and marks did not suffer. I was able to do the extra-curriculars I wanted, however it was harder for me to stay out late to go to some social events. That did not impact me much since idc about drinking activities like going to the weekly bar event (i do not drink and do not like to be in an overly alcoholic environment); but if you care about social activities like that, they happen late.

I would also add you might spend less time on campus generally, cuz you will study at home or the local library to avoid the commute on your days off, so maybe you will have less time to build friendships i guess? but that can easily be remedied if you do the extra commute on your days off to study on/be on campus. I have friends who commuted same distance but came to campus more, and they would stay late to go to call to the bar, and they have a great social circle on campus. Not to say I do not have friends lol!

1L classes can start as early as 930, and end as late as 630, though most end at 4pm, 4 days a week or sometimes 3 days a week; i never had an issue with attending my classes fully or doing the readings. I did many of my readings on the train + took notes too if the text was available pdf. 

Edited by Ghalm
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ghalm said:

I commuted all 3 years (in my last year now) 1.5 hours each way to UT. Classes and marks did not suffer. I was able to do the extra-curriculars I wanted, however it was harder for me to stay out late to go to some social events. That did not impact me much since idc about drinking activities like going to the weekly bar event (i do not drink and do not like to be in an overly alcoholic environment); but if you care about social activities like that, they happen late.

I would also add you might spend less time on campus generally, cuz you will study at home or the local library to avoid the commute on your days off, so maybe you will have less time to build friendships i guess? but that can easily be remedied if you do the extra commute on your days off to study on/be on campus. I have friends who commuted same distance but came to campus more, and they would stay late to go to call to the bar, and they have a great social circle on campus. Not to say I do not have friends lol!

1L classes can start as early as 930, and end as late as 630, though most end at 4pm, 4 days a week or sometimes 3 days a week; i never had an issue with attending my classes fully or doing the readings. I did many of my readings on the train + took notes too if the text was available pdf. 

Thanks, this was really helpful. I also dc about drinking activities/ going out to bars whatsoever. My main concern would be if there were morning and evening classes on the same day, as that would be awful for me. If classes generally run from 9-4, that’d be great.

17 hours ago, adamsteth said:

Thanks, this was really helpful. I also dc about drinking activities/ going out to bars whatsoever. My main concern would be if there were morning and evening classes on the same day, as that would be awful for me. If classes generally run from 9-4, that’d be great.

Yeah that was the typical first year schedule; in upper years classes can start as early as 830am (few, select courses lol), or start as late as 6pm and go until 8/9pm (again few select courses). So you might change your mind in upper years, but to be honest, unless its a class you are dying to take, the world won't end if you choose the 4-6pm class instead of the 6-8pm class and learn about bankruptcy instead of trial advocacy for e.g. See the following for this year's schedule with first year courses highlighted: https://www.law.utoronto.ca/academic-programs/academic-handbook/timetables-and-exam-schedules/timetable-first-term and https://www.law.utoronto.ca/academic-programs/academic-handbook/timetables-and-exam-schedules/timetable-second-term

Edited by Ghalm

I wouldn't say an hour is that much longer than a standard commute anywhere. I couldn't see that being much of a problem. Except, perhaps with regard to social events. 

Edited by AJD19

3 hours ago, AJD19 said:

I wouldn't say an hour is that much longer than a standard commute anywhere. I couldn't see that being much of a problem. Except, perhaps with regard to social events. 

That's assuming that there would be no issues, ever, with the GO train or subway, and that assumption would be a faulty one.

I can't imagine commuting that far every day for 1L. Or any other year, for that matter. Having 2+ hours a day spent commuting rather than socializing with classmates, (which doesn't have to involve drinking), participating in ECs, intramurals, attending law school events, doing readings, etc., would be a waste of time, in my opinion.  It would also be exhausting.

@adamsteth   The GO train alone is more than an hour to Union Station. Then you have to navigate the station to get to the subway and up to campus. This is going to be more than an hour commute and that's if there are no delays. Look into the cost of commuting and weigh that against the cost of finding a room in the city closer to campus, also considering the potential hassle and issues with a commute everyday. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

That's assuming that there would be no issues, ever, with the GO train or subway, and that assumption would be a faulty one.

I can't imagine commuting that far every day for 1L. Or any other year, for that matter. Having 2+ hours a day spent commuting rather than socializing with classmates, (which doesn't have to involve drinking), participating in ECs, intramurals, attending law school events, doing readings, etc., would be a waste of time, in my opinion.  It would also be exhausting.

@adamsteth   The GO train alone is more than an hour to Union Station. Then you have to navigate the station to get to the subway and up to campus. This is going to be more than an hour commute and that's if there are no delays. Look into the cost of commuting and weigh that against the cost of finding a room in the city closer to campus, also considering the potential hassle and issues with a commute everyday. 

Erin is right. I commute downtown for work and there are significant delays on the TTC and Go Train that you cannot account for. The TTC in particular has been experiencing delays of up to an hour the last couple of months during the morning rush hour.

Law school is a once in a lifetime experience. At least for 1L, you should spend the time living near school for all the reasons Erin mentioned. 

10 hours ago, erinl2 said:

Hi! I was wondering if the UofT residences (like woodsworth, Morrison Hall) are open to law students as well? I just got admitted today and I am from Montreal, so housing is a bit of a concern for me.

26 minutes ago, dwight98 said:

Hi! I was wondering if the UofT residences (like woodsworth, Morrison Hall) are open to law students as well? I just got admitted today and I am from Montreal, so housing is a bit of a concern for me.

Don't live on campus if you can help it! It is so so so much more expensive than living with roommates near to campus. I'm pretty sure the only residence that a law student would be allowed to live in is the graduate student residence. 

In my undergrad experience at U of T, I found that the cost of residence was about at least 1.5x the amount of rent on an off-campus accommodation. They truly gouge you, and honestly, it is nicer to live off campus. 

I would highly suggest looking for apartments in the Annex, Dupont, or Kensington area!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, albertabean said:

Don't live on campus if you can help it! It is so so so much more expensive than living with roommates near to campus. I'm pretty sure the only residence that a law student would be allowed to live in is the graduate student residence. 

In my undergrad experience at U of T, I found that the cost of residence was about at least 1.5x the amount of rent on an off-campus accommodation. They truly gouge you, and honestly, it is nicer to live off campus. 

I would highly suggest looking for apartments in the Annex, Dupont, or Kensington area!

Good points. I'll for sure look out for potential roommates as more acceptances role out. 

Worst case I'll do rez in first year, and once I meet more people in 1L it will be easier to find a place off campus. Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dwight98 said:

Good points. I'll for sure look out for potential roommates as more acceptances role out. 

Worst case I'll do rez in first year, and once I meet more people in 1L it will be easier to find a place off campus. Thanks for the advice!

Maybe dm me sometime and we can see if we might be a good fit for roommates. 

• Like 1

So to everyone, what are the odds I could get a bachelor in the 1000-1200 range near the school or is that completely unrealistic? I pay 800 here in Hamilton for my own place. 

The other option is getting a roommate which would admittedly be quite an adjustment as I’ve lived on my own for quite some time and prefer my privacy. Could someone point me in the direction of a site designed to find a roommate near the school (preferably a fellow 1L if possible)?

On 12/10/2019 at 8:10 AM, Deadpool said:

Come on man. It's first year of law school, not undergraduate studies anymore. Don't do it.

If anything, just rent a cheap basement room somewhere in Toronto and commute on the subway line.

Is it possible to find anything for 1000-1200/month near the school?

Just now, adamsteth said:

Is it possible to find anything for 1000-1200/month near the school?

It is possible, but extremely unlikely without a roommate. You might be able to find a cheap basement in the 1300$ range and live on your own, but it wouldn’t be lovely. Even with a roommate, a decent space would cost you around $900-$1100 a month.

I would look up “U of T off campus housing” on facebook, and you’ll find a couple of groups dedicated to finding roommates and housing. Also look up Toronto Home Zone on facebook, for other housing opportunities! 

Best apps to use for independent searches are craigslist, kijiji and padmapper! 

24 minutes ago, albertabean said:

It is possible, but extremely unlikely without a roommate. You might be able to find a cheap basement in the 1300$ range and live on your own, but it wouldn’t be lovely. Even with a roommate, a decent space would cost you around $900-$1100 a month.

I would look up “U of T off campus housing” on facebook, and you’ll find a couple of groups dedicated to finding roommates and housing. Also look up Toronto Home Zone on facebook, for other housing opportunities! 

Best apps to use for independent searches are craigslist, kijiji and padmapper! 

I'd rather live in a cheap basement room closer to campus than commute 2+ hours everyday for law school. OP has to decide what works for them. You can find cheaper rentals when you start looking more West to the Bathurst, Dufferin, Parkdale areas. It would be a short 15-20 minute commute by subway or you can even bike it. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 8:10 AM, Deadpool said:

Nothing is worth life in a basement room.  This includes law school