EK65

Choosing a school for a career in the military?

Hey everyone,

I haven't received any offers yet but I've applied to UoA, UCalgary, Dal, UVic, USask and UManitoba. While I'm not expecting to get into all of them, I'm starting to prepare myself for where I might end up. For the last year I've been considering a career as a legal officer in the Canadian Forces. I'd prefer to stay in western Canada for what it's worth (although I realize that won't be in my control). Purely from the standpoint of entering the military, is there anything to separate these schools?

Thanks in advance!

FYI those positions are extremely competitive so by all means pursue it but don't bank on it, and have a backup plan for something else you'd want to do in law. I've heard from recruiters that they have over 100 lawyers in the candidate pool for every legal officer job, and anecdotally I know of a JAG reservist who clerked at the Supreme Court of Canada and is a big deal in the corporate law world.

I thought I'd mention this as it surprised me to learn, as I know that the US military literally hires Cooley grads for JAG. People tend to underestimate how difficult certain military jobs can be to get.

Thanks for the replies, I had no idea there were JAG internships on offer. I'll keep my expectations in check but this has probably bumped UofA up my preference list, if I'm lucky enough to have a choice. 

I know of only one person who got this position straight out of law school and he was a mature student who previously served in the Canadian Armed Forces. 

I would go about this slightly differently. This is likely a position that most people lateral into a few years into their careers. Perhaps look at starting your career in one of those places and gaining the experience the CAF looks for. I imagine they would look favorably upon government careers in national security, terrorism, etc. so working for the DOJ would be an asset. 

• Like 1