tamnou

Canadian law school vs training contract uk

Hi everyone, 

I'm a Belgian student here at the University of Manchester. I have applied to a bunch of Canadian law school including McGill, UoT and Ottawa. However, many law or nn-law students are getting the opportunity to get offered a training contract. For those who do not know what it is, the big city (London) firms will sponsor a student for their GDL (Law conversion course) and then the LPC to become a solicitor. After that the student works for 2 years at the law firm with a high salary for a trainee.

I'm hesitant about going all the way to Canada if there are more opportunities here in the UK or find myself unemployed because it is even more competitive in Canada. 

Can you give me your opinion about that? 

What Hedgis said is entirely correct. Based on the information you've provided, you seemingly won't accrue much debt and you already have a job lined up. Why did you apply to those Canadian law schools and incidentally why are you contemplating settling here after graduation? Your post is rather vague on your motivations.

In order to make any decision on that choice, you'd need to dwell on your long-term future (and to be honest, it's a bit of an odd thing not to have done beforehand, since the routes lead to some very divergent possibilities).

Do you want to live in Canada long-term? If so, do you want to live in Quebec? If not, why did you want to get a law degree from Canadian/Quebecois universities? If you want to live in Canada long-term, have you looked into the different requirements for Permanent Residency for people who want to settle in Quebec v settling elsewhere in Canada? (and if so, have you thought about that in deciding between McGill in QC, and Ottawa/T in ON?)

Having thought a lot about that, if you want to live and work in Canada, a Canadian degree will make that a lot easier. If you don't, then it will be an expensive decoration that doesn't add much to your employability in Britain, Belgium, or France.

The other thing to think about of course is whether or not you'd require, and be eligible for a work permit in Britain in a year or two's time, which at this point nobody can give you a firm yes or no to. On that front, Canada is a much more stable and predictable option if you can see something that you want and would be eligible for (with the caveat that immigration law can change rapidly, as a number of Quebecois international students found in recent weeks). And for that matter, you said 'many' students had training contract opportunities, but do you? Because if not, that's again an important factor to bear in mind.

If you want a truly stable and predictable option, then it would be a degree/job in Belgium or France, but since you don't include that in your options, presumably you're willing to tolerate some level of risk/unpredictability.

• Like 2

I did not get an offer for a training contract and I don’t think I will get one this year to be honest. I am sorry if I made it confusing in the post but I would’ve stayed here if I had one. 

I am thinking about living in Canada long-term because settling in the UK is not very appealing to me but I am just afraid that it’ll be even more competitive and difficult to find a job in Canada itself.

I have read about the long-term residency in Canada and Québec and it seems that Canada is looking for many French-speaking people to come and work in the country. The UK with the brexit does not feel as welcoming but I am aware that I won’ have a problem working at a law firm in London as a Belgian and will get sponsored if that is necessary in the future. 

I have chosen to apply to Canadian law schools and my top choice is McGill because I like the fact that it focuses on human rights law. In the UK, it’s pretty much 95% commercial law and 5% human rights law opportunities. I would not mind working for a couple years in commercial but what I want is human rights law. 

Do you think it’s even more competitive in Canada? Is there less articling opportunities?