Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I might come to the welcome day (I am from the GTA). 
    • First, I would like to start off my congratulating everyone who has got their call, and wishing good luck to those still waiting.    I got my call on the 7th, and considering this is the only school I applied to for law, it was a blessing that it was right before the LSAT 😂   cGPA: 79% L2: 3.7 LSAT:150 3 LORs from professors who taught various Indigenous courses, all tailored to Lakehead.    Personal statement outlined my passion to work with mining companies and Indigenous communities. I believe this is what helped me stick out as a candidate, and ultimately get the acceptance.    I look forward to meeting you all! Is anyone from the GTA planning on going to the welcome day? 
    • yes, quite possibly. but you can be a coder on the side, ubereats deliverer (on a bike, free exercise, cars are bad), blogger, instagram influencer, or get a real estate licence and become a part time realtor in the GTA. all things are possible if you're out the door by 3:30 pm and never, ever work on weekends. 
    • Looking for advise about potentially changing firms.  Practising in the GTA, plaintiff-side barrister work, new call (leaving the year out for anonymity). Small/medium sized firm, currently earning $85,000-$100,000 (giving a range for privacy reasons but my income falls into that spread). Other lawyers who are a couple years ahead are somewhere in the neighbourhood of $120,000-$150,000, so there's potential (their compensation is of course no guarantee as to mine) to make a very healthy income, but as far as I understand it about caps out there.  Very strict billable targets (which I've exceeded) which is extremely stressful and there's extremely annoying office politics, with everyone always second guessing the owner, although you get office politics anywhere that's true. It's 100% litigation, very little solicitor work, which is also stressful given the constant pressure to settle and ongoing dealing with annoying senior counsels who try to push you around as a junior/adversarial type working environment.  I'm thinking of making a jump because it's a boutique practice and I'm not sure if I want to dedicate my whole career to this particular field (I also articled here so this particular specialty is all I've been exposed to), and while the income I'm currently at is pretty good (if you think about it as a junior we're getting paid to learn more or less) and I've got great flexibility in terms of working hours, but I do work very hard and it seems that the compensation does plateau at a certain level. It also seems that they're making it a base salary or commission situation, whereas I was under the impression it was both.  Anyways long story short, I'm grateful at the opportunity, but thinking long-term, I'm wondering what options are available. Has anyone made a change early into their career? How did you break the news to your principal? How did you go out finding a new position when virtually all of the job postings require someone w at least 3-4 years experience, and more importantly avoiding the whole reference check at your existing firm awkward situation.    Thanks in advance!