Skooled

Mental Breakdown

Hello everyone. I really really need some advice. I need to get into UofT’s or Osgoode’s law school. It has been a dream of mine since I was in elementary. I was a smart student throughout secondary and got into all my undergrad choices (Western, Mcgill, McMaster). I ended up having to stay local, so I’m currently at Windsor. I thought I would excel since Windsor is considered “easy”. However, I’m in second year and my average is around 83%? I’m trying to increase it substantially this year but it’s been a struggle. I know an 85 won’t cut it if I want to be competitive. I have personal factors that play in that suppress my motivation. I just got a paper back and got a 75. Horrible. It just hit me what if I’m not smart enough to get into Canada’s top law schools or any law schools for that matter. Since I am in second year, I am hoping I still have time to become better? So my question is, what should I prioritize in order to have my chances of getting into Osgoode or UofT as high as possible? I can’t imagine not being able to have a choice in what law school I want to attend in Canada. I want to excel, I have to, it’s all I got. Being “school smart” is the only thing that’s been stable in my life and all of a sudden I’m dumb? I’m so frustrated but I’ll be even more frustrated if my marks do not change for the better. What did you do that got you in to Osgoode, UofT or other “top” Canadian law schools? What should I be doing atm and for the next two years to make it almost certain that I will have a good chance of being accepted? I appreciate your time reading this. Any experiences, thoughts, opinions, and facts on getting into top law schools in Canada would be appreciated. I want to fulfill my dream.

4 minutes ago, Skooled said:

Hello everyone. I really really need some advice. I need to get into UofT’s or Osgoode’s law school. It has been a dream of mine since I was in elementary. I was a smart student throughout secondary and got into all my undergrad choices (Western, Mcgill, McMaster). I ended up having to stay local, so I’m currently at Windsor. I thought I would excel since Windsor is considered “easy”. However, I’m in second year and my average is around 83%? I’m trying to increase it substantially this year but it’s been a struggle. I know an 85 won’t cut it if I want to be competitive. I have personal factors that play in that suppress my motivation. I just got a paper back and got a 75. Horrible. It just hit me what if I’m not smart enough to get into Canada’s top law schools or any law schools for that matter. Since I am in second year, I am hoping I still have time to become better? So my question is, what should I prioritize in order to have my chances of getting into Osgoode or UofT as high as possible? I can’t imagine not being able to have a choice in what law school I want to attend in Canada. I want to excel, I have to, it’s all I got. Being “school smart” is the only thing that’s been stable in my life and all of a sudden I’m dumb? I’m so frustrated but I’ll be even more frustrated if my marks do not change for the better. What did you do that got you in to Osgoode, UofT or other “top” Canadian law schools? What should I be doing atm and for the next two years to make it almost certain that I will have a good chance of being accepted? I appreciate your time reading this. Any experiences, thoughts, opinions, and facts on getting into top law schools in Canada would be appreciated. I want to fulfill my dream.

https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-admissions/first-year-applicants/eligibility-requirements/

See admissions statistics here. Why do you believe your A- GPA in undergrad is not competitive for Canadian law schools? Have you done any research yet?

I see a lot of issues here that will crop up if/when you go to law school. Are you aware of the pressure, stress, and mental health issues prevalent among law students and lawyers? Undergrad is nothing in comparison.

Edited by Deadpool
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eeee said:

"external locus of control"

I believe everything I receive and do not receive is due to things I have done to get there. That’s why I’m asking what I should be doing rn to get where I want to be

What should you do? Learn some French ASAP and go to McGill where tuition is less than 10k/year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-admissions/first-year-applicants/eligibility-requirements/

See admissions statistics here. Why do you believe your A- GPA in undergrad is not competitive for Canadian law schools? Have you done any research yet?

I see a lot of issues here that will crop up if/when you go to law school. Are you aware of the pressure, stress, and mental health issues prevalent among law students and lawyers? Undergrad is nothing in comparison.

You are right, undergrad is a nothing compared to what happens in law school. I want to succeed in undegrad so I will be able to take it to the next level, in this case, law school. As to research, I have and a high GPA and LSAT seem to be important. Because I do not know how well I’ll do on the lsat i’m hoping to get as high as an average as possible as backup 

2 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

What should you do? Learn some French ASAP and go to McGill where tuition is less than 10k/year.

I’d love to attend McGill law, but I don’t think I can learn French that fast or well enough. I was considering taking classes but if I do bad that will affect my gpa

5 minutes ago, Aschenbach said:

How do you define "top" Canadian schools?

Schools that rank nationally, I know some people don’t believe in such thing in Canada. But my desire to go attend a law school in Toronto is because of several personal factors

If you're actually having a mental breakdown, I encourage you to see a therapist or similarly qualified professional who can help you work through those issues. 

If you're freaking out because you received a 75 on one paper, chin up. No one can provide any guarantees until you take the LSAT, but you can get into UofT and Osgoode with an 83%. 

Edited by Tagger

48 minutes ago, Skooled said:

But my desire to go attend a law school in Toronto is because of several personal factors

There's also ryerson - not prestig enough?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skooled said:

If being 'school smart' is the only thing you have in your life than you have bigger problems imho.

• Like 4

If you're actually having a mental breakdown you need to seek help. Otherwise, just calm down. UofT or Oz aren't the end all be all. They reject people with perfect grades and high LSATs every year. Your grades are only a third of your application. All Canadian law schools are reputable and you're coming off kind of naive talking about "top law schools". Why only uoft and oz? If you can't see that an 83% isn't good enough for atleast Oz, it just shows that you haven't done your research. Uoft is a different story but you still have time to raise your average to be at their median. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OnlyResident said:

If you're actually having a mental breakdown you need to seek help. Otherwise, just calm down. UofT or Oz aren't the end all be all. They reject people with perfect grades and high LSATs every year. Your grades are only a third of your application. All Canadian law schools are reputable and you're coming off kind of naive talking about "top law schools". Why only uoft and oz? If you can't see that an 83% isn't good enough for atleast Oz, it just shows that you haven't done your research. Uoft is a different story but you still have time to raise your average to be at their median. 

why do you say they reject people with perfect grades n high lsats? isn't that 2/3 of the app? - in regards to UofT

Edited by laststarr

24 minutes ago, laststarr said:

why do you say they reject people with perfect grades n high lsats? isn't that 2/3 of the app? - in regards to UofT

So obviously there's no stats on this stuff but I've talked with several people on the actual admissions committees, and they said they do. They said that people with perfect gpas and high LSATs typically get pretty lenient with the rest of their application such as the personal statement and the sketch. 

The advice here has been great. If you are having a mental breakdown, get some help. You're more than your GPA, LSAT or the law school you go to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Tagger and OnlyResident; if you’re truly having a mental breakdown, you should seek help. Taking care of your mental health is as important as taking care of your physical health.

You also need to remember that UofT and Oz are not the only two good schools. And even if you want to ultimately practice in Toronto, there are a lot of other schools that participate in the Toronto recruit/place students in Toronto.

Your GPA is also very good and if you keep it up and get a good LSAT score, you’ll have a lot of schools to choose from. And if you’re dead set on UofT, the personal statement is given 1/3 of the weight, they take B3 and reward upward trends. You’re only in second year. That means you probably only have a year’s worth of grades. First, focus on doing well on your December exams. Then try to keep it up for the next 2.5 years. Your 83% might not even matter in the end. 

I got 60s, 70s a few times in undergrad and even had a 3.1 GPA one semester. And it wasn’t the end the world. I brought my marks up, got a solid LSAT and got an offer from every school I applied to. I’m not saying that this happens to everybody but just know that one bad semester, or even one bad year is not a big deal. 
And your grades are great!

My advice is that you should write a strictly timed LSAT.

You’ve asked what to focus on to increase your chances of getting accepted to these schools as much as possible. A very high LSAT will improve your chances more than anything else could. 

You’re concerned that you’re simply not intelligent enough for law school. Well, after you write the LSAT, I can guarantee you’ll have a much more realistic idea of how intelligent (or, unintelligent) you are.

You’ve also asked what others have done to gain acceptance to law school. I achieved a  very high LSAT score. That was essentially the end of the story; I was able to get accepted anywhere I wanted, from Columbia through Toronto. 

I believe you also asked some other things, but I can’t be bothered to go back and try a second time to decipher that block of text you posted. 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff
  • Like 1