Sign in to follow this  
SweetPotato

IB Transfer Credits

Because I did the International Baccalaureate program in high school, I got 18 transfer credits from my university, which allowed me to finish my degree in 3 years (I did 12 credits during one summer). My marks are up on OLSAS, and nowhere does it show my transfer credits. I am worried that it will look like I did not actually complete the 120 credits required for a four-year degree. Do law schools see your actual transcript or just the calculations on OLSAS? 

I can partly answer your question (but not for OLSAS)

I had 18 credits from IB as well, and the only school I applied to just treated them as part of my 90 required credits since I am applying out of third year.  I only needed to finish 72 credits in undergrad to apply, and the IB transfer credits just counted as finished courses with no grades assigned.  However, this is only my experience with UBC, and I'm not sure how similar or different it would be for OLSAS. 

Edited by meandtheboys
bad at math

Just now, meandtheboys said:

I can partly answer your question (but not for OLSAS)

I had 18 credits from IB as well, and the only school I applied to just treated them as part of my 90 required credits since I am applying out of third year.  I only needed to finish 78 credits in undergrad to apply, and the IB transfer credits just counted as finished courses with no grades assigned.  However, this is only my experience with UBC, and I'm not sure how similar or different it would be for OLSAS. 

Thanks! Yeah, on my official transcripts, the IB courses are listed with no grades assigned. So it's not an issue for non Ontario schools as you just mail them the official transcripts. On OLSAS, they don't list those credits at all, and they missed a full year of my undergrad courses 😓. The latter is definitely a mistake, but not sure if not putting in IB credits is normal.  

You shouldn’t worry as they will count your gpa from remaining of the courses and 18 will fall under advanced standing i guess

8 hours ago, LawMan17 said:

You shouldn’t worry as they will count your gpa from remaining of the courses and 18 will fall under advanced standing i guess

How will they know? It doesn't show any advanced standing or transfer credits on OLSAS. 

My AP credits don't show up on OLSAS either, but then I read on the website that they don't include them in the GPA calculation, so that might be why. 

@yayawow you could be right. His transcripts should show advanced standing but i guess olsas didnt care because advanced standing aren’t grades. So they took only what u have 

32 minutes ago, yayawow said:

My AP credits don't show up on OLSAS either, but then I read on the website that they don't include them in the GPA calculation, so that might be why. 

Oh okay. I didn't think the IB marks would be counted as a part of my gpa, but I was worried that it would look like I am short of credits. 

19 minutes ago, LawMan17 said:

@yayawow you could be right. His transcripts should show advanced standing but i guess olsas didnt care because advanced standing aren’t grades. So they took only what u have 

Makes sense. Though for some reason my unofficial transcript has grades assigned to those advanced standing courses. 

18 hours ago, SweetPotato said:

Makes sense. Though for some reason my unofficial transcript has grades assigned to those advanced standing courses. 

That’s weird