Peno

Chances? 169 / 3.94 - dropped out of grad school

Hi everyone,

I've applied to uO, Queens and Toronto - my stats are in the title. Undergrad in Chemistry and spent time in grad school and dropped out to focus on my mental health. Spoke positively about it in my personal statement, as an experience I've grown from. I know my scores are above medians but I'm not sure how leaving grad school may affect my application.

Any thoughts? Thanks anybody that takes the time to read and/or answer.

I also dropped out of grad school, perhaps for less well-justified reason. For my part I have just given the schools the benefit of the doubt that they don't directly weigh graduate grades in their admissions criteria. I sure hope I am right to trust this, but in the back of my mind I do still worry that they will look at the grad transcript and make a 'red flag' out of it, and decline me anyway.

I'm more confident in U of Manitoba, because although they DO count graduate marks, all my bad ones will be dropped out of the calculation anyway so it seems more clear that they won't hurt me.

Hope it works out; your UG and LSAT are obviously superlative - even for U of T.

-GM

Seeing as how most law students and lawyers do not have a graduate degree themselves, I think your worry is misplaced. No one will care. I had PhD dropouts in my year.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Hi! I am a 1L at uOttawa. I honestly hate Zoom this is really not how I anticipated my first year of law school would ever be like. It's very tiring to be on the computer all the time and not seeing people in person. Some people in my program did make a study group which is essentially a zoom room that is always open, which helps a little because we chat and study together. But all in all, being home all the time is not good for my mental health. There are some good points, which are that I can continue to live at home, and it does save time to not have to commute. Still, I really really hope it won't be like this next year.
    • Have you considered rewriting the LSAT? Just one or two more points would greatly increase your chances.
    • I really doubt it messes with your chances at all
    • To @masterofnut, @Diplock, and everyone else who read the original post sorry about how unclear that jumble was. At the time it honestly felt better to just yell on an online platform instead of on my balcony. I guess all in all I was just looking to see if other 1Ls were struggling to adjust to law school like I am with covid going on at all.  I know the mental health services at my school are always at capacity and are not able to take more appointments so a lot of us are left without support. Academically, I am struggling with zoom lectures and I was curious what everyone else's experiences were like.  Are other 1Ls finding that they do most of their learning from studying upper years' 1L notes?  Personally so far I've been beating the curve but I feel like I should be getting more out of lectures or like my approach might not work on actual exams and am just anxious about that. Emotionally, I don't know which schools have small groups or things like that, but are other 1Ls feeling super isolated and just overall alienated and like they don't belong or again am I just weird? For upper years who can chime in, like did you find your umm place? in the school in 1L or did you have to get into second to start finding people you clicked with? Is it normal to be this depressed? like factoring in covid and everything because I understand its a situation that we have limited influence over, but like idk tbh just trying to cope and really struggling with being alone constantly and feeling abandoned. My interest in other schools is more or less to just trash myself even more for feeling like I picked the wrong school, even though I doubt there'd be any discernable difference. Again sorry if the original post came off narrow minded or ignorant or just dumb. Sorry if this one does😅. Just desperately needed to voice something somewhere.
    • LSAT 166, 85% cgpa, 87% with drops  I dont have great extracurriculars and I heard this will be a difficult cycle. I've also read that Allard weighs the PS more heavily this year than in the past, will I be at a disadvantage because I have less exciting/useful curriculars? Any chance of getting scholarships? Or getting accepted at all lol Thanks!