Peno

Chances? 169 / 3.94 - dropped out of grad school

Hi everyone,

I've applied to uO, Queens and Toronto - my stats are in the title. Undergrad in Chemistry and spent time in grad school and dropped out to focus on my mental health. Spoke positively about it in my personal statement, as an experience I've grown from. I know my scores are above medians but I'm not sure how leaving grad school may affect my application.

Any thoughts? Thanks anybody that takes the time to read and/or answer.

I also dropped out of grad school, perhaps for less well-justified reason. For my part I have just given the schools the benefit of the doubt that they don't directly weigh graduate grades in their admissions criteria. I sure hope I am right to trust this, but in the back of my mind I do still worry that they will look at the grad transcript and make a 'red flag' out of it, and decline me anyway.

I'm more confident in U of Manitoba, because although they DO count graduate marks, all my bad ones will be dropped out of the calculation anyway so it seems more clear that they won't hurt me.

Hope it works out; your UG and LSAT are obviously superlative - even for U of T.

-GM

Seeing as how most law students and lawyers do not have a graduate degree themselves, I think your worry is misplaced. No one will care. I had PhD dropouts in my year.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I imagine the majority of people don't fill out this section actually (don't quote me on this though cause I could be wrong). Or if they do, a large portion of them really don't have an entirely valid reason for doing so. They simply do it cause it's an option which they think will improve their chances of being admitted. I know for myself anyways, none of the four categories really applied to me, and I wasn't about to make up some poor excuse for why I was "disadvantaged" during my undergrad (although I understand that is not the only reason why someone may fill out Part B). Don't get me wrong though, that's not to say there aren't many cases where people don't have a valid reason! I have heard some pretty crazy situations where the individual has every reason in the world to fill it out. **My apologies, forgot this was the accepted thread, please delete
    • A really big yacht vs a slightly smaller yacht, I think is the main difference in pay.
    • Others with more experience feel free to chime in, but I'd negotiate. They've spent a year vetting your work and offered to hire you back. This means they like you, your work is competent enough, and they've already spent time and money training you to become this competent. In short, they're unlikely to walk away at the first sight of negotiation. You've already found out they're offering you bottom of the ladder pay (though be careful with wide averages and practice types), so you're not being unreasonable with asking for more. Last, negotiation can help bring out certain benefits you'd enjoy in lieu of extra pay, that would be cheaper for the employer. For example, maybe some commission from work you bring in, or insurance benefits, gas expenses (they can write those off as a business expense), etc. So don't be afraid to get creative (within reason).
    • I received two invites in March last year (one on the 12th and the other I don’t remember). I wouldn’t give up yet!
    • I second this advice. Start studying and write the LSAT as soon as you can.