VicGal

How many years until "senior counsel" as in-house legal counsel

Hello, I was wondering approximately how many years on average it takes someone to move from "legal counsel" to "senior legal counsel" in an in-house environment. I get that year-of-call is not the only relevant factor here, but similar to how many firms expect associates to become partners within 6-7 years, was hoping to get a guideline for what this looks like in the in-house world.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

In the places that have kind of standardized it, it’s usually some combination of 6-7 years of practice and 2-3 years in the job. 

Yeah, I’d also say 6-7 years of work experience, whether at that company or elsewhere. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• If that's how people talk to you when you send a mistaken email, then perhaps you are surrounding yourself with the wrong people.
    • What is the salary of a first year solicitor at the city of toronto?
    • Can confirm that this is happening for my colleague (another 1L)
    • I think it will be in the details.(the details we were supposed to get today but maybe tomorrow now?) Yes - a 30% drop in revenue "in the next few months" is very foreseeable. But, will it be 30% over the year?  my firm, and many like it I would assume, were having a particularly good first few months of 2020 (and a great 2019).  My April and May are likely to look grim (billed February work in March -  so March not actually bad at all from a revenue prospective).  But once I am in April and looking at what I billed in March - ick. Plus, many firms can adapt quite quickly to new markets and opportunities. So the rest of the year is a crap shoot.  Similarly, like TP said - you can adjust billing within a year- however, since 2017 it has been harder to adjust over the tax year as we now have to take an estimation of a portion of WIP into income in the year that the work is completed. So it will come down to if the 30% is applied to the year or the month, a specific set of months ? I am guessing that they will go with year as it is easier for CRA to calculate.  In which case I doubt we will rely on it to make a decision on staffing - because who knows.
    • Wow, thanks so much to everyone on this thread for sharing. I'm a 2L and newbie to LS. This information has been very helpful in my understanding of how the legal community is being affected, and in turn, reshaped by this pandemic.