JK56711

Chances? (Life ruined after OSLAS GPA)

9 minutes ago, HuggyBear said:

I'm nervous that I won't even be considered by UBC, UVic or Osgoode, which are all higher ranked for me than Queen's and Western.

I think you have a shot at all of those -- not sure how good that shot is though. Honestly, you have options, much better ones than a lot of people. If you're very nervous and know you can improve your LSAT score, rewrite it and aim for a 170. If not graduated yet, focus on getting the highest grades possible. But other than that, just wait it out. You can't do anything more--it's out of your control.

2 minutes ago, georgecostanzajr said:

I think you have a shot at all of those -- not sure how good that shot is though. Honestly, you have options, much better ones than a lot of people. If you're very nervous and know you can improve your LSAT score, rewrite it and aim for a 170. If not graduated yet, focus on getting the highest grades possible. But other than that, just wait it out. You can't do anything more--it's out of your control.

Thank you for your vote of confidence, stranger. I am not going to rewrite the LSAT and I have already graduated. At this point all I can do is sit back and enjoy the ride -- even if I did waste several hundred dollars applying to schools that wouldn't even give me the time of day :) 

24 minutes ago, HuggyBear said:

I'm nervous that I won't even be considered by UBC, UVic or Osgoode, which are all higher ranked for me than Queen's and Western.

What is your GPA prior to OSLAS conversion? Perhaps your chances at UBC and UVic will be more favourable than it seems. 

42 minutes ago, HuggyBear said:

Thank you for your vote of confidence, stranger. I am not going to rewrite the LSAT and I have already graduated. At this point all I can do is sit back and enjoy the ride -- even if I did waste several hundred dollars applying to schools that wouldn't even give me the time of day :) 

They'll certainly give you serious consideration. You don't have very low stats--the kind whose applications get thrown right into the trash. Your L2 is above median. Your LSAT score is higher than average. Have confidence.

7 hours ago, PlatoandSocrates said:

What is your GPA prior to OSLAS conversion? Perhaps your chances at UBC and UVic will be more favourable than it seems. 

I transferred from Alberta to Guelph so I'm not sure what my combined cGPA is with grades from both schools factored in. My transcript from Guelph has a cGPA of 82.8% but doesn't include transfer credits in the calculation. My cGPA from Alberta was probably around 65% with a lot of Ws, but I don't have access to an unofficial transcript to know the exact number.

35 minutes ago, HuggyBear said:

I transferred from Alberta to Guelph so I'm not sure what my combined cGPA is with grades from both schools factored in. My transcript from Guelph has a cGPA of 82.8% but doesn't include transfer credits in the calculation. My cGPA from Alberta was probably around 65% with a lot of Ws, but I don't have access to an unofficial transcript to know the exact number.

What is your index score for UBC? 

For Osgoode, it will come down to holistic factors because your cGPA is well below their median and LSAT is above median. 

3 hours ago, Deadpool said:

What is your index score for UBC? 

For Osgoode, it will come down to holistic factors because your cGPA is well below their median and LSAT is above median. 

It's 89.3 if I've done the math right. That's without drops though, I might be around 90 with drops. Any idea how the new weighting of the PS relative to GPA and LSAT might factor in. 

Just a quick question for anyone that knows this. So this is the first time I apply through OLSAS and I applied to Queens and Ottawa, on their admissions website they state that they take mostly into consideration the last 60 credits. Today OLSAS released my overall GPA which shocked me but it is a 3.1. I did really well in my last two years but not so much in my first two. Will this ruin my chances? Will both those schools look at my overall GPA or just the last 60 credits?

Honestly I'm so confused. Also I have not written the exam yet, I won't write it till January.

Edited by Loki2323

49 minutes ago, HuggyBear said:

It's 89.3 if I've done the math right. That's without drops though, I might be around 90 with drops. Any idea how the new weighting of the PS relative to GPA and LSAT might factor in. 

Almost no chance for UBC even with drops.  Your LSAT is great and right on UBC's median, but even with the new weighting your personal statement would have to somehow compensate enough for your gpa to pull you up to the historic ~91.5 range.

Hopefully you have better luck with the other schools you apply to!

22 minutes ago, Loki2323 said:

Just a quick question for anyone that knows this. So this is the first time I apply through OLSAS and I applied to Queens and Ottawa, on their admissions website they state that they take mostly into consideration the last 60 credits. Today OLSAS released my overall GPA which shocked me but it is a 3.1. I did really well in my last two years but not so much in my first two. Will this ruin my chances? Will both those schools look at my overall GPA or just the last 60 credits?

Honestly I'm so confused. Also I have not written the exam yet, I won't write it till January.

If I understand correctly, OLSAS releases your cGPA but universities themselves may still evaluate your application based on L2/B3. OLSAS does not calculate those for you.

53 minutes ago, meandtheboys said:

Almost no chance for UBC even with drops.  Your LSAT is great and right on UBC's median, but even with the new weighting your personal statement would have to somehow compensate enough for your gpa to pull you up to the historic ~91.5 range.

That's sort of what I figured.. it's so frustrating that a bad start can hold you back to such an extent.. even my B3 GPA is 3.7 without drops but my first year is determined to haunt me for the rest of my life.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:29 PM, JK56711 said:

Hey everyone,

I just got my OSLAS GPA.

GPA is a 3.61

LSAT 161

L2 3.77

What are my chances? I applied everywhere but U Ottowa..

You should get in somewhere. 

I think it’s a little unnecessary to say your life is ruined because of your gpa...being nervous is one thing but being insensitive and outright ridiculous is another. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, meandtheboys said:

I just spoke with admissions at Allard, and my GPA is higher than expected. Not sure how drops were decided, but my index is 91.02. I know that's still not super competitive, but it gives me some hope :)

1 hour ago, HuggyBear said:

I just spoke with admissions at Allard, and my GPA is higher than expected. Not sure how drops were decided, but my index is 91.02. I know that's still not super competitive, but it gives me some hope :)

With a good personal statement you might make it in off the waitlist.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LeoandCharlie said:

You should get in somewhere. 

I think it’s a little unnecessary to say your life is ruined because of your gpa...being nervous is one thing but being insensitive and outright ridiculous is another. 

Hugely insensitive and ridiculous to say the least. OP has the stats to get into most Canadian law schools, something that fewer than 10% of Canadians can claim, yet makes this post asking if they will get in and have they ruined their lives. 

What about all those dreamers and human beings with lesser stats than OP gunning for a chance at a Canadian law school? Should we just tell them to give up because they ruined their lives and go do something else? 

Oh, and it seems as though the OP has also gotten an offer already. Their life is surely ruined. 

Edited by Deadpool
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Loki2323 said:

I applied to Queens and Ottawa, on their admissions website they state that they take mostly into consideration the last 60 credits.

Where did you see this? This does not fit what I have seen for either of those two schools on their websites. But websites are shitty sometimes and I may have been looking at outdated sections... or maybe you were. So I would honestly appreciate if you could link to where you read this for Ottawa (I'm seeing full cGPA for them) or Queen's (I'm seeing B2, and definitely not L60).

Thanks!

-GM

On 12/3/2019 at 1:29 PM, JK56711 said:

Hey everyone,

I just got my OSLAS GPA.

GPA is a 3.61

LSAT 161

L2 3.77

What are my chances? I applied everywhere but U Ottowa..

but 100% Ottawa

100% Queens and Western

1 hour ago, GrumpyMountie said:

Where did you see this? This does not fit what I have seen for either of those two schools on their websites. But websites are shitty sometimes and I may have been looking at outdated sections... or maybe you were. So I would honestly appreciate if you could link to where you read this for Ottawa (I'm seeing full cGPA for them) or Queen's (I'm seeing B2, and definitely not L60).

Thanks!

-GM

Sorry I remember reading it a while back if I find the link, I'll send it. Otherwise don't really listen to me because I don't know how Ontario schools work I'm not from there and this also my first time applying, I'm finding it all confusing

On 12/3/2019 at 1:44 PM, HuggyBear said:

3.6 is still respectable, my OLSAS cGPA is a whopping 3.22. L2: 3.8+, LSAT: 166. 

I'm a nervous wreck because Western and Queen's are the only L2 schools I applied to.

what's ur B3, did you apply to uoft ?