lawschoolhopeful6

Firm Perceptions of Dal Graduates

Not sure if there is one, but how would you say firms from other provinces (ex. Toronto) perceive Dal grads? Correct me if I'm wrong (cause I very well could be), but it seems like Dalhousie is one of the main schools where the majority of its graduates end up practicing law outside the particular province that the school is located in (i.e. Nova Scotia). Again, maybe this is just the impression i've got in talking with a couple past Dal graduates. But would you say there is a general bias (either negative or positive) that firms have towards Dal grads?

Thanks in advance for any input!

I'm at Dal for my undergrad and I am pretty involved with some law students through some of my extra curricular. At a recent Q&A we hosted with Dal law students one of them mentioned that she worked over the summer between 1L and 2L in Toronto and the firm she worked at really liked hiring Dal students as they have a reputation for being very nice, easy going students that  are easy to work with. Not sure if it is just that firm or a wider perception among many firms, but since Dal really pushes the collegial nature of its students I wouldn't be surprised if that was the perception of Dalhousie grads that many in the law community have

• Like 1

The reason that a lot of Dal grads are practicing outside of the province is because these grads were for the most part not from that province to begin with. 

• Like 1

Dal alum are known to stick together and any firm that has a Dal alum is really likely to fight for a Dal student. Dal also has recruiters come for OCIs from Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, and most of the major Atlantic firms so you're not at a disadvantage to other schools with that. I just went through Toronto recruitment and all of the firms I met with talked about how much they love Dal students and how we're a breath of fresh air (although maybe they say that to students from every school). 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Just checked and I got the email earlier today! cGPA: 3.48 L2: 3.65 LSAT: 160 That rounds out all my acceptances for this cycle. I'm honestly kind of surprised I've heard from everywhere already because my stats aren't amazing by any means, but it perhaps highlights that soft factors are still quite valuable (Master's degree, autobiographical sketch was nearly full, took a few years away from school to gain professional experience, etc.)
    • Law schools like to maximize applications, but thay says nothing of your chances. You should not bank on getting into McGill law with a 154 and your GPA whatsoever. I'm just saying temper your expectations. You didnt provide much about your ECs so I can't comment. At a glance they weren't spectacular, which they would often need to be to overcome a poor lsat score or poor GPA.
    • I was wondering if anyone who applied for Crown summer jobs in Ontario has heard anything yet? And if so, how long after the deadline did it take to hear back? I say this because the closing dates varied quite a bit. Thanks in advance!
    • First acceptance and it's my dream school!!! CGPA: 3.51 L2: 3.68 LSAT:161 General Hope to see some of you there!!!
    • Of that, I had no intention. That is all. I was aware that a poor LSAT punishes Francophones as mush as it does Anglophones. I was just saying that it is an unknown factor to me as to whether the school specifically markets itself to Francophones in their orientations (by addressing linguistic capabilities and R-Scores for CEGEP students with just as much attention as they do the LSAT and the GPA). That is all.  I appreciate your advice regarding the LSAT, I am currently investigating as to whether I should take it another time. It is a lot of work and my thesis here at Oxford is in need of equal if not greater attention. I will see how the year plays out but I am not signing up for another test unless I can 100% say that I can get a score anywhere in or near the low 160 range (which would require at least a couple of mid 160s on some mock tests). A source of my optimism though comes from this page: https://www.lsac.org/choosing-law-school/find-law-school/canadian-law-schools/mcgill-university-faculty As indicated by the chart at the bottom, with my GPA and LSAT percentile range, it is Possible and not Unlikely that I would be accepted to McGill university. Couple that with the fact that the school has admitted in its own resources here https://www.mcgill.ca/law/files/law/2018-mcgill-law-admissions_presentation_fb.pdf and here https://www.mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/admissions-guide/eligibility That they admit that the lowest scores that they will accept range from 150 -152. They have also said here: http://lrstv.mcgill.ca/ListRecordings.aspx?CourseID=21828 that they do not have a low-end cutoff when it comes to LSAT, GPA, or R-scores, and encourage you to apply, especially if you are deficient in only one department. The other option that I have, although I have not investigated this, is applying as a mature student following the expunging of my LSAC records after a five year period. Do you have any insight on if this is a good strategy? I trust that provides a bit of perspective. I am curious though, is there anything above that I mentioned about buffing my CV that could use some improvement?