SlightlyObsessed

Toronto Raises 2020

37 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Whose? Amongst students it’s definitely still widely regarded as working their people the hardest, and the “Slavies” moniker is still widely used. 

To relay some hearsay from a partner at Davies- "The only reason we have that nickname is because nothing rhymes with McCarthy Tetrault".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

I also have a very small sample size but it seems to me that Davies for students is on par with most firms, and less than BJs and McCarthys

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Whose? Amongst students it’s definitely still widely regarded as working their people the hardest, and the “Slavies” moniker is still widely used. 

There's a particular litigation boutique, that's all I will say. Some others I've heard about are mentioned here.

People use the Slavies moniker, but when I talk to people who actually work there, it's never stated as being that much worse than anywhere else.

Edited by whoknows
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/22/2019 at 11:39 AM, lawstudent89 said:

Some firms Toronto NALP pages seem to have been taken down....

Bennett Jones posted a starting salary of $120,000 (on NALP). The other Toronto firms still say $110,000. Perhaps the bump will be an additional $10,000k on each step of the currently scale. 

I didn’t think anyone would match Davies and I was right. 

On 12/26/2019 at 8:09 AM, healthlaw said:

Bennett Jones posted a starting salary of $120,000 (on NALP). The other Toronto firms still say $110,000. Perhaps the bump will be an additional $10,000k on each step of the currently scale. 

I didn’t think anyone would match Davies and I was right. 

Why don’t I think that’s a change for BJ? For some reason I thought they were already above the standard grid but could easily be mistaken.

6 hours ago, easttowest said:

Why don’t I think that’s a change for BJ? For some reason I thought they were already above the standard grid but could easily be mistaken.

I thought they were above grid for summer and articling students only but not associates. That was my understanding but I could be wrong 

3 hours ago, healthlaw said:

I thought they were above grid for summer and articling students only but not associates. That was my understanding but I could be wrong 

I think this is right. And that they were below the grid in some associate years. If I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, healthlaw said:

16 minutes ago, leafs_law said:

I think this is right. And that they were below the grid in some associate years. If I remember correctly. 

All entirely possible. I should turn on my NALP Canada alerts to keep up. 

Posted (edited)
On 12/6/2019 at 10:16 AM, levin said:

The question now is what are the hourly rates pls and thanks 

Below minimum. This is the way. 

Edited by katurian

On 12/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, erinl2 said:

Funny. I was reading this thread to my dad and he said that it isn't a marketing gimmick. Davies has always had this reputation. Back in the day, it was referred to as Davies, Ward & Midnight.  Long before the Slavies days.

That's funny. Must have been before DWB+PW. Poor Beck always getting shafted...

Has anybody heard of any other firms moving, or is this not a thing aside from Davies/Bennett Jones? 

2 minutes ago, PipeDream said:

Has anybody heard of any other firms moving, or is this not a thing aside from Davies/Bennett Jones? 

Not on my end, unfortunately. I'm assuming most won't know until it's yearly review time. 

Does anyone know how appropriate it is to bring up these pay increases with your employer? I was told my pay was "market"  but I think market has subsequently increased, but I have already signed the offer letter with former market rate. Can pay still change after the offer letter is signed?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, finlaw said:

Does anyone know how appropriate it is to bring up these pay increases with your employer? I was told my pay was "market"  but I think market has subsequently increased, but I have already signed the offer letter with former market rate. Can pay still change after the offer letter is signed?

You're a 2L summer in 2020? If your offer letter was at $1700/wk, you're at "market."

• Like 1

16 hours ago, finlaw said:

Offers crystallize at the time they’re made. If the statement was that your pay was market, but your offer letter indicated a particular market rate, without indicating with any precision that it would increase in accordance with the rates of similarly situated firms, then your rate was not intended to fluctuate with the market. You can definitely ask for an increase if other similarly situated firms have increased their rates, although they will not like that, but they will be entirely pissed off if you link your request to a contractual term that doesn’t exist.

• Thanks 1

Any update on this? Was it just Davies/BJ that ended up bumping?

On ‎01‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 9:54 PM, finlaw said:

Sure...an employer can always decide to pay you more. Don't hold your breath in this situation though.