I can't speak to the degree that others can on this topic, but what stands out to you about Bond University, especially over law schools in Canada?

Yes, people have gone to Bond. Start by searching for the topic on this site, read a selection of the many threads you'll find, and go from there. 

Edited by Diplock

I just want to add here that every student I know who went to bond after undergrad went there for one and only reason - because they didn’t get into a Canadian school. Employers know this. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Queensugrad2019 said:

I just want to add here that every student I know who went to bond after undergrad went there for one and only reason - because they didn’t get into a Canadian school. Employers know this. 

You're telling me no one went there fore the beautiful beaches and the shortened (2 year rather than 3 year) degree?

*shocked Pikachu face*

edit: in all seriousness, the only law school that I think has a worse reputation in Canada than Bond is probably Cooley Law in Michigan, and lets just say that's not good company. 

Edited by shawniebear

38 minutes ago, Queensugrad2019 said:

thank u for digging up a nearly four month old thread to remind everyone of this

12 minutes ago, levin said:

thank u for digging up a nearly four month old thread to remind everyone of this

Well I was browsing through the threads didn’t really notice that it was four months old - although I don’t think it really matters, as I’ve found very useful information reading through posts from, say, 2014 or so. 

And “reminding” everyone suggests that everyone already knows. I know people CURRENTLY studying at Bond after their undergrad who genuinely believe that their degree is basically the same, reputation wise, as a school like lakehead or Windsor.  This just is not the case - and had these people accepted that reality, they likely would have taken a gap year, studied their asses off for the LSAT, and probably would have gotten in somewhere in Canada. People need to know that taking a gap year (and studying for/doing the LSAT multiple times during that year) and applying for the next cycle is the obvious choice. 

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Queensugrad2019 said:

And “reminding” everyone suggests that everyone already knows. I know people CURRENTLY studying at Bond after their undergrad who genuinely believe that their degree is basically the same, reputation wise, as a school like lakehead or Windsor.  This just is not the case - and had these people accepted that reality, they likely would have taken a gap year, studied their asses off for the LSAT, and probably would have gotten in somewhere in Canada. People need to know that taking a gap year (and studying for/doing the LSAT multiple times during that year) and applying for the next cycle is the obvious choice. 

i sometimes forget that there are people out there who are interested in law but never visit this forum 

4 minutes ago, levin said:

i sometimes forget that there are people out there who are interested in law but never visit this forum 

You'll be surprised at the number of people who do visit this forum and gain a lot of critical information, but still choose to go abroad because they ignore the advice given here or believe they'll be an exception to the norm. Many of these people also do not have competitive stats to get into a Canadian law school and want to be lawyers no matter the cost.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

You'll be surprised at the number of people who do visit this forum and gain a lot of critical information, but still choose to go abroad because they ignore the advice given here or believe they'll be an exception to the norm. Many of these people also do not have competitive stats to get into a Canadian law school and want to be lawyers no matter the cost to their parents and family.

Improved for you.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

You'll be surprised at the number of people who do visit this forum and gain a lot of critical information, but still choose to go abroad because they ignore the advice given here or believe they'll be an exception to the norm. Many of these people also do not have competitive stats to get into a Canadian law school and want to be lawyers no matter the cost.

This is off topic but just wanted to add re: exception to the norm idea - we all think we are going to be the exception to the norm. Especially the kind of people who are interested in going to lawschool. About a year ago, I scored in the 150s on the LSAT with minimal studying. I posted on this forum asking if it would be "worth it" to take a year off, study my ass off, and score in the high 160s/low 170s so that I could get into UofT (as I knew little about law-school at the time and was certain that I needed to get into UofT in order to get a job in biglaw, and that if I really put my mind to it I could get that 170ish score). On that post, Deadpool set me straight pretty bluntly - saying it would be unlikely that I would score that highly even if I put all my effort into it. Long story short, he was absolutely right, and I wasted time & money by studying full-time rather than working for numerous months (though I have now gained admission to multiple law schools in Canada, so taking the year off and redoing LSAT was the right idea - but the point is I expected at least a high 160s score and failed at that).

Another off-topic tidbit: Thank you Deadpool and a few other users (whose names escape me at the moment) for being a bastion of information on this cite. You guys have been around for years (from what I've seen), providing lengthy, in-depth answers to important questions all over this forum, and setting people straight when they are wrong, misleading, or (especially) for being too optimistic regarding employment prospects or other things of that nature. I feel way more comfortable starting lawschool this upcoming September as a result.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, shawniebear said:

in all seriousness, the only law school that I think has a worse reputation in Canada than Bond is probably Cooley Law in Michigan, and lets just say that's not good company. 

Although I find it amusing that Jeremy Diamond went to Cooley and is probably one of the wealthiest lawyers in Canada (purely due to marketing savvy though rather than his aptitude as a lawyer).

1 hour ago, McSweeney said:

Although I find it amusing that Jeremy Diamond went to Cooley and is probably one of the wealthiest lawyers in Canada (purely due to marketing savvy though rather than his aptitude as a lawyer).

Also might have something to do with the fact that he inherited a fully functional and highly profitable law firm from his Father, although you do have to give the guy credit for taking the firm to the next level. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Queensugrad2019 said:

People need to know that taking a gap year (and studying for/doing the LSAT multiple times during that year) and applying for the next cycle is the obvious choice. 

is that also the case for going to an out of province school? if you want to practice in Ontario, but go out of province to school such as TRU or Manitoba? is the gap year worth it in order to rewrite the LSAT? honestly think I can get high 160 (I was scoring there) but test day nerves got the better of me. 

Edited by jatthopefullawyer

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Queensugrad2019 said:

Thank you Deadpool

I also wanted to thank you dead pool (and other mods like Erin). I posted almost a year ago about going to England and you set me straight. I got accepted to a few schools in Canada (nothing in Ontario yet) but thanks for encouraging me to write the LSAT. 

Edited by jatthopefullawyer
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, McSweeney said:

As shown by the 2016 US election, you can do very well for yourself, if you (i) are shameless, (ii) slap your name on any surface that's for sale, and (iii) operate in an environment where regulators fail to both create space for fair competition and adequately protect the public. 

Of course, the personal cost is the respect of your peers. To anyone who doesn't care about that, enjoy your very nice house and whatever else you choose to buy. 

Edited by realpseudonym
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

is that also the case for going to an out of province school? if you want to practice in Ontario, but go out of province to school such as TRU or Manitoba? is the gap year worth it in order to rewrite the LSAT? honestly think I can get high 160 (I was scoring there) but test day nerves got the better of me. 

Don't know enough about being in/vs out of Ontario. But in terms of the LSAT, I was scoring in the high 160s during practice too. Test day nerves don't always go away! 

3 hours ago, McSweeney said:

https://diamondlaw.ca/our_team/jeremy-diamond

"Thereafter, in 2001 he received his Juris Doctoris at the Thomas M. Cooley Law School and also attended Osgoode Hall Law School"

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/05/04/trump-michael-cohen-lawyer-cooley-law-school-218318

Trump’s Lawyer Went to the Worst Law School in America

Michael Cohen’s alma mater has long been a punchline in the legal world.

4 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

"Thereafter, in 2001 he received his Juris Doctoris at the Thomas M. Cooley Law School and also attended Osgoode Hall Law School"

Gee I wish I had a Juris Doctoris.

• Haha 2