thescrappy

152, cGPA 3.41 Chances?

Pretty much all in the topic, let me know what you guys think. One strong LOR and another good one, good ECs, in the co-op program, and doing a 4yr honours. B2 GPA is 3.42, L3 is 3.51 (had a bad first year). 

11 hours ago, wolf78 said:

any volunteer or social justice work?

lots of volunteer and mission work in mexico, bolivia and downtown in my city

18 hours ago, thescrappy said:

Pretty much all in the topic, let me know what you guys think. One strong LOR and another good one, good ECs, in the co-op program, and doing a 4yr honours. B2 GPA is 3.42, L3 is 3.51 (had a bad first year). 

hard to predict Windsor

On 11/28/2019 at 9:34 AM, thescrappy said:

lots of volunteer and mission work in mexico, bolivia and downtown in my city

yeah, I would say you have a solid chance.

It's very hard to predict admission to Windsor. I was rejected last cycle with a 154 LSAT and 3.58 CGPA (I too, had lot of social justice related volunteer experience). It think it ultimately will come down to your personal statement.

Good luck!

After talking to registrar at Windsor, they told me there are a couple of tiers in admissions. Tier 1 (being the top tier) is assessed with applicants 160+ last and 3.4+cgpa, tier 2 is 157+ lsat with 3.3 gpa, and under those are other applicants who do not meet those lsat or gpa thresholds. 

15 hours ago, mjabal said:

After talking to registrar at Windsor, they told me there are a couple of tiers in admissions. Tier 1 (being the top tier) is assessed with applicants 160+ last and 3.4+cgpa, tier 2 is 157+ lsat with 3.3 gpa, and under those are other applicants who do not meet those lsat or gpa thresholds. 

So what would this mean for me?

3 hours ago, thescrappy said:

So what would this mean for me?

I was tier 1 then .. but didn't get an offer

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Of that, I had no intention. That is all. I was aware that a poor LSAT punishes Francophones as mush as it does Anglophones. I was just saying that it is an unknown factor to me as to whether the school specifically markets itself to Francophones in their orientations (by addressing linguistic capabilities and R-Scores for CEGEP students with just as much attention as they do the LSAT and the GPA). That is all.  I appreciate your advice regarding the LSAT, I am currently investigating as to whether I should take it another time. It is a lot of work and my thesis here at Oxford is in need of equal if not greater attention. I will see how the year plays out but I am not signing up for another test unless I can 100% say that I can get a score anywhere in or near the low 160 range (which would require at least a couple of mid 160s on some mock tests). A source of my optimism though comes from this page: https://www.lsac.org/choosing-law-school/find-law-school/canadian-law-schools/mcgill-university-faculty As indicated by the chart at the bottom, with my GPA and LSAT percentile range, it is Possible and not Unlikely that I would be accepted to McGill university. Couple that with the fact that the school has admitted in its own resources here https://www.mcgill.ca/law/files/law/2018-mcgill-law-admissions_presentation_fb.pdf and here https://www.mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/admissions-guide/eligibility That they admit that the lowest scores that they will accept range from 150 -152. They have also said here: http://lrstv.mcgill.ca/ListRecordings.aspx?CourseID=21828 that they do not have a low-end cutoff when it comes to LSAT, GPA, or R-scores, and encourage you to apply, especially if you are deficient in only one department. The other option that I have, although I have not investigated this, is applying as a mature student following the expunging of my LSAC records after a five year period. Do you have any insight on if this is a good strategy? I trust that provides a bit of perspective. I am curious though, is there anything above that I mentioned about buffing my CV that could use some improvement?
    • This is a hard question but here are my two cents. I’m at UVic and, in all honestly, I don’t know if I’d come here if I wanted to settle in Toronto. The people who are coming in from Toronto aspire to live in BC. What’s nice about Vancouver is that most of your law school friends will live there after graduation so you’ll have a built-in social network but Vancouver, as a city, isn’t as urban or diverse as Toronto. If you’re into cities, you’ll likely find Vancouver to be lacking. I’m a city person and I love Vancouver but I grew up there. I only know of one person who managed to secure a job in Ontario and it took them a lot of time plus lots of trips back home. Some people are clerking out in Ontario but I don’t know if they’ll be staying there long term. From what I hear, job-seeking is much more competitive in Toronto anyway so maybe it’ll equal out? It’s much easier to get a job in BC because there are a lot of social events sponsored by firms and many opportunities to meet lawyers prior to applying to jobs. I don’t know if you’ll have the funds to attend events in Toronto. I’m sure you’ve also heard that you should study in the province you want to stay in so that should be a factor unless you plan on avoiding courses focusing on family law, employment etc.  As for UVic’s reputation, I’m not certain but I don’t think it has the same ring to it as UBC. We’re a much smaller school and most of what people will hear about is our environmental/indigenous law focus (so this may work your way if you plan on going into either of those fields). I’ve definitely heard of an alumni network out in Toronto but it’s much smaller.  You may want to contact Laura Pringle at UVic’s Law Careers Office. She is very forthcoming and might be able to give you a better sense of how many students are able to move back to Toronto without issue. But, as it stands, if you are certain that you want to live in Toronto after graduation, I would recommend going to school in Ontario. 
    • I would go if I were non local and you haven't visited the city before. It will give you a chance to look around and see where you may want to live! 
    • Looking forward to meeting you guys there if you end up going! @Hydarnes I'd be down to get dinner/drinks afterwards :)
    • Ooh, good idea about checking out the housing. That would be an added incentive.