Jump to content
fitzroy

Holistic vs. Numbers

Recommended Posts

It's that time of year when we all start getting nervous about admissions and asking for chances! These discussions have me wondering which schools have the most holistic admissions and which rely heavily on numbers. I know a lot of schools mention a holistic admissions process, but it seems holistic admissions are not all created equal. In your experience, where do schools land on a numbers-to-softs scale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fitzroy said:

It's that time of year when we all start getting nervous about admissions and asking for chances! These discussions have me wondering which schools have the most holistic admissions and which rely heavily on numbers. I know a lot of schools mention a holistic admissions process, but it seems holistic admissions are not all created equal. In your experience, where do schools land on a numbers-to-softs scale?

I am not sure of how we define "holistic admissions."

That said, I would say that Windsor law has the most holistic admission policies in Canada.

Law schools that maintain index scores have numbers-based admission policies. Those schools are: uVic law, UBC law, uAlberta law, and Manitoba law.

Edited by ArchivesandMuseums
Editing
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Windsor is probably the most holistic. Although Osgoode is also holistic, stats are still very important, and the majority of the class get in with strong stats that would make them competitive at other law schools as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UAlberta is overwhelmingly numbers based, but had 36 “holistic review admits” last year in a class of 186 according to the viewbook. So they are not purely numbers based, but definitely most applicants are admitted on numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UBC changed their admission policy this year to 1/3 LSAT, 1/3 GPA, 1/3 PS. It will be interesting to see if this has an effect on the entrance stats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aschenbach said:

UBC changed their admission policy this year to 1/3 LSAT, 1/3 GPA, 1/3 PS. It will be interesting to see if this has an effect on the entrance stats.

As per the thread in the UBC section, it seems as if everyone who is being admitted in the first round still hits the 92 index score range. Perhaps the later rounds will differ more substantially, it’ll be interesting for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 2:52 AM, PlatoandSocrates said:

As per the thread in the UBC section, it seems as if everyone who is being admitted in the first round still hits the 92 index score range. Perhaps the later rounds will differ more substantially, it’ll be interesting for sure. 

To my knowledge, no one has officially received an offer of admission yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • A law degree is no guaranteed ticket to a "fancy" life. There a chance you could have even made more/as much with your MA degrees. Not to mention another 3 years of lost income. 
    • I really think factors like this are incredibly dependent on the rest of your application. By itself, I don't think it would be that helpful. But if this factor was coupled with other compelling elements, I think it may be useful to draw attention to.
    • Don't live on campus if you can help it! It is so so so much more expensive than living with roommates near to campus. I'm pretty sure the only residence that a law student would be allowed to live in is the graduate student residence.  In my undergrad experience at U of T, I found that the cost of residence was about at least 1.5x the amount of rent on an off-campus accommodation. They truly gouge you, and honestly, it is nicer to live off campus.  I would highly suggest looking for apartments in the Annex, Dupont, or Kensington area!
    • Absolutely! Ive been on a journey that only five years ago I couldn't have even imagined. Academics were never in the cards for me, but I had the will to make it happen which only developed through growing older. I would never let my age deter me, especially this far along. Thanks for the kind words 
    • Hi! I was wondering if the UofT residences (like woodsworth, Morrison Hall) are open to law students as well? I just got admitted today and I am from Montreal, so housing is a bit of a concern for me.

×
×
  • Create New...