foo

Individual Consideration 2020-2021 Cycle

HELLO out there, just checking in on who has applied IC for 2020 admissions?? Me. Tell me your stats and your stories! I would love to know who/what I am up against :)  but also get to know potential classmates. 

I probably should have applied for IC, being old and having some relevant work experience, but I had a bit of burn-out from writing personal statements and rounding up references, so I decided to just go Index. I may regret that when I get my November LSAT score, though!

Hope it works out for you. Given the amount of documentation they require for IC, it certainly suggests that they take that application stream seriously. 

-GM

On 11/30/2019 at 6:21 PM, GrumpyMountie said:

I probably should have applied for IC, being old and having some relevant work experience, but I had a bit of burn-out from writing personal statements and rounding up references, so I decided to just go Index. I may regret that when I get my November LSAT score, though!

Hope it works out for you. Given the amount of documentation they require for IC, it certainly suggests that they take that application stream seriously. 

-GM

Thanks, you too! Tough decision to make...totally get the exhaustion over putting together a massive application package. Good luck :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I’m also an international applicant, I heard back this week. I’m not sure if there is a general trend, and it’s hard to tell because proportionally most people who post here are domestic 
    • When I was going to recruiting events in the UK, some of the best ones that I got were portable chargers, headphones, cardholders, coffee cups, and travel bottles. Highlighters, sticky notes, flags, and notebooks were also highly sought. One of the worst ones (in my opinion) was a chalkboard mug. It was handy, but it was really useless and unnecessary. 
    • If you want to work in BC, then being in BC is only going to make that easier (both local law, and local connections), but Alberta is unlikely to be a bad choice for that, it just doesn't have the local benefits. It would likely have a lower cost (even Vic living would be more, never mind Vancouver). UVic coop can offer some unique opportunities unavailable to students at other schools, but it also doesn't guarantee anything, and you might find yourself competing against other students for great jobs anyway (especially for during summer).   One thing to bear in mind with UVic is that funding is heavily needs-based, so if you're in a position to pay for 2/3 of things upfront as you say, that might actually work against you a little, as people who can pay for things are expected to, and people who can't get the bursaries - which is a thing it's a little hard to complain about because people without money are the ones who need it, but it also means the ones who diligently saved can feel a little punished for being responsible. That said, it would likely be a mid point of cost between UBC and UoA - Victoria's expensive, it's not Vancouver expensive.   And UoA has a prairie winter, nobody wants that.
    • I'm a 2L UBC student as well. I'd say go to UBC. If you live at home, you'll save a lot more than going to UVic or UoA. If you don't live a home, that might be a different story, but you're not save a ton more if you go to UVic instead. If you want to work in BC, go to school in BC. None of these law schools will give you an edge in Crim law. You best bet is to learn the law in the jurisdiction you want to work in. A few of my friends are going down the crim track and I think it's partly a matter of carving out your own path. The two main crim clinics are crim clinic and Innocence Project. LSLAP also gives you great experience with crim files and court experience. We also have solid crim profs (several of which have taught SCC judges evidence law). While many people at UBC are big-law, corporate oriented, they are but a subset of the student population. UBC is mindful of this reputation, which is likely why they removed Business Organizations as a required course. We definitely have a nice building than UofA (which makes a difference if you find yourself spending a lot of time at school). I can't speak much to vibes at other schools. I have good friends here and generally get along with people. I get to leave the building and explore the rest of campus. There's socials if you like those, various clubs and lots of hang-out spots. In conclusion, come to UBC 
    • Even if that were true (I have no idea), I'd wouldn't put much stock in that given the recent hatchet job of a provincial budget. That said, 2L at UCalgary here and I think everyone I know who was looking for a Vancouver summer got one. So being the next province over isn't the end of the world if the scholarship comes into play as a big factor.