NormalDude

French language proficiency phone call

For anyone worrying about it, I just had my french phone call. If it's relevant, my stats are 3.85(OLSAS)/170. Best of luck to everyone!

On 11/21/2019 at 11:30 AM, lawstud1111 said:

What kind of questions did they ask?

Would rather not answer this, as I think it may give people an unfair edge. There were no major surprises though, from what I understood.

19 hours ago, DrDent96 said:

Which province are you from?

Ontario

1 minute ago, TotallyBucked said:

What did you list as your level of French proficiency?

I forget how exactly they asked us to quantify that on our applications, but something along the lines of "I am able to understand french alright, but am not fluent by any means." 

On 11/21/2019 at 11:30 AM, lawstud1111 said:

What kind of questions did they ask?

I was asked, "what are your expectations from the law program," "what's the most recent book you've read in French," "where did you learn French," "why did you apply to McGill Law." I am bilingual and still had the exam, and wrote about my bilingualism on my cover letter and CV. 

It's conversational, it lasts 5-10 minutes, and then it's over. In my application year I heard back within 48 hours that I had been accepted.

Good luck- it's not a big deal, and the questions can be answered in English or French without hurting your chances (so long as you understand correctly!).

Just make sure any info you share here can be shared. I know some of these things can be confidential so hopefully any answers are ok to give :)

11 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

Just make sure any info you share here can be shared. I know some of these things can be confidential so hopefully any answers are ok to give :)

The questions are absolutely not confidential, and there are already a bunch of posts about this from the past on this forum.

The exam has not changed since Zimson's post in 2009:

Edited by couscous
Added another ancient post about the types of questions asked
  • Like 1

Was there any notice beforehand that the french proficiency call was coming, or was it out of the blue? 

I'm wondering because I never give out my phone number and always put down my dad's landline, so if there's a call there (especially in french) my dad will not know what to do with it and I may or may not receive the message.

13 hours ago, BearsBeetsBattlestar said:

Was there any notice beforehand that the french proficiency call was coming, or was it out of the blue? 

I'm wondering because I never give out my phone number and always put down my dad's landline, so if there's a call there (especially in french) my dad will not know what to do with it and I may or may not receive the message.

There is zero notice and the call switches to French as soon as you say that you’re the person they’re trying to reach. I highly advise you reach out to the admissions office with an updated phone number for you if you’re expecting to be tested at all. 

I am totally fluent, as mentioned before, and worked in Montreal for a French company. Wasn’t expecting it and I received the call at 8 a.m.

2 hours ago, couscous said:

There is zero notice and the call switches to French as soon as you say that you’re the person they’re trying to reach. I highly advise you reach out to the admissions office with an updated phone number for you if you’re expecting to be tested at all. 

I am totally fluent, as mentioned before, and worked in Montreal for a French company. Wasn’t expecting it and I received the call at 8 a.m.

Thank you for advising! I will get my details updated.

It makes sense that it's without notice, but until reading these forums it really hadn't occurred to me that it wasn't something scheduled in advance.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:35 PM, BearsBeetsBattlestar said:

Thank you for advising! I will get my details updated.

It makes sense that it's without notice, but until reading these forums it really hadn't occurred to me that it wasn't something scheduled in advance.

Does anyone have experience being called when they are overseas? I work overseas and am 9.5 hours ahead of Montreal - I am wondering whether they will call back or e-mail me if I missed their call while sleeping?  Thanks!

On 1/8/2020 at 2:46 AM, onwardjho said:

Does anyone have experience being called when they are overseas? I work overseas and am 9.5 hours ahead of Montreal - I am wondering whether they will call back or e-mail me if I missed their call while sleeping?  Thanks!

Usually they leave a message and ask you to call back. 

In my case, they kept calling until I picked up (late in the admission cycle).

• Like 1