Sign in to follow this  
pele24

Lots of clerical work normal?

I have a question regarding type of work. I switched firms and in my new firm, which is a Commercial Real Estate firm, have to do lots of clerical things such as doing accounts, cheques, envelopes etc. These things take crazy amount of my time. I feel like instead of focusing on legal work, I constantly calculate accounts and doing cheques.

In my previous firm, which was a bit smaller and with small clients I never touched those things. 

Huge amount of work, very high expectations to do everything very fast, very big clients, not enough staff, and no proper division of work between young lawyers and law clerks 

I would appreciate any thoughts on this topic. 

When I started at my firm, we were 3 lawyers with 1 assistant. Her role was largely reception. I was serving, filing, preparing closing letters, billing, etc. I'm a 5 year call and I still do my own paperwork, billing and most of my correspondence. I've had an assistant for nearly 2 years now. It might be something that you'll get more admin support once "you've paid dues" so to speak. You could tactfully speak with a more senior person to see what the situation is. Are you billing enough to make a case to hire your own admin support?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, artsydork said:

When I started at my firm, we were 3 lawyers with 1 assistant. Her role was largely reception. I was serving, filing, preparing closing letters, billing, etc. I'm a 5 year call and I still do my own paperwork, billing and most of my correspondence. I've had an assistant for nearly 2 years now. It might be something that you'll get more admin support once "you've paid dues" so to speak. You could tactfully speak with a more senior person to see what the situation is. Are you billing enough to make a case to hire your own admin support?

How you bill for admin work that you do?

I'm not a lawyer, but I work in a commerical real estate firm as an assistant. I can really see how the lines get blurred for you, because I must admit, the clerical stuff is incredibly annoying (which I do all of the accounts etc). 

I agree with artsydork; try tastefully asking to see if the firm could hire an admin? Like even an unexperienced uni student - especially one eager to be in the field of law.

I can see how being stuck behind administrative work affect your practice and productivity (especially with BIG DEADLINES). 

4 hours ago, sarstan said:

How you bill for admin work that you do?

Correspondence and drafting pleadings are billables. I used to waste a lot of time filing and serving. You just work more hours. You need the cashflow to have an assistant though.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• it's happening 😮
    • Yes you are essentially correct. The Ontario Securities Commission and all others are supposed to be operational and has only firm-level views of things. Even then, they only impose monetary penalties for enforcement bureaus. Its been talked about for a while about how we are essentially unprepared to deal with a financial crisis given that we don't have any federal agencies equipped with regulating entire markets. Alot of this has to do with provinces constantly challenging any sort of federal regulator. The Competition Bureau is an independent watchdog agency, but as someone who knows people working there, you are also correct. Alot of their enforcement actions we would regard as trivial, like enforcing competition against grocery stores and so-on in the middle of nowhere. You can see how remarkably weak it is compared to the UK and the US who can go after multinationals.  Lots of problems with Canadian market regulations, but I think the biggest issue is that our system is so piecemeal and fractured that we are just not equipped to deal with modern problems. Its unfortunate and at some point we're going to need to go through pretty significant overhaul like what the UK did with the Financial Services Act of 2012.  With that said, there's  a strong difference between regulatory/solicitation type work and litigation type work. This difference is going to grow because our view on regulation is slowly shifting to being proactive and modernized. I don't think regulatory lawmaking is too inaccessibly, its written somewhat clearly and doesn't require specialized knowledge of the Courts since you rarely engage with them. At most its just a matter of understanding statute and regulations, which isn't too hard, and how administrative agencies function. 
    • Empathy is necessarily self-focused. Studies show that we're better at empathizing with people who are like us and poor at empathizing with those who are not. You might consider yourself the exception, in which case congratulations. I'd still trust my ability to be compassionate towards others while also trusting that I cannot understand their lived experiences on a fundamental level should they be fundamentally different from mine. I choose to believe that listening to people and trusting the inadequacy of my own ability to understand is a better path towards mutual recognition of dignity than just assuming I "get it." 
    • The antitrust division of the DOJ and the Competition Bureau do much of the same work and collaborate on many of the same cases. There are effectively two ways that I know of to work at the Competition Bureau as a lawyer; as part of the CBLS (a division of the DOJ) or as a competition officer. The latter is a job that does not require a law degree but usually requires a MA in Econ or a law degree (many of the employees at the Bureau have both).  The Competition Act is a critically important piece of legislation that I think is of fundamental importance in Canada. There are often very large investigations that result in significant fines. Within the last year, there have also been cases of companies cancelling deals because of pushback from the Bureau. There is a lot to unpack in your response and I do not think anyone can answer the question of whether you will be satisfied. It is possible to work at the Bureau as a summer student. I highly encourage that as you can learn about the actual work that takes place.
    • Law has its benefits, as others have mentioned - well-defined path to a middle or upper-middle class life, intellectual work, "cool" opportunities outside law (e.g., galas, events), less uncertainty than many other "office jobs" (I have friends who have languished on the corporate ladder for a long time and have no idea what their next move will be), but it definitely has downsides too. Essentially saying "how high?" when a client asks you to jump to can get exhausting (although this isn't unique to law), the billable hour can get tiring fast, and sometimes you do just feel like you're pushing paper (particularly if you're in a business law role where the major deal decisions are being made by the business people). As others have mentioned, at larger firms, you also tend to associate with clients and partners who have far more money than you, so even a good associate income can make you feel underpaid. Part of the problem is sampling bias - you're generally dealing with the business people and senior lawyers that succeeded - not the entrepreneurs who failed or the middle managers who work longer hours than you do for a lower salary and more career uncertainty.