sendcupcakes

Post-OCI Job Search (Toronto)

21 minutes ago, 72343654 said:

I was hoping for some advice regarding whether doing some law-related but unpaid work for your 2L summer at an NGO would put you at a disadvantage for articling recruit. I'm currently stumped on whether to take an unpaid job or to keep searching in the hopes that I find something that pays and that could lead to an eventual articling position. I'm also currently in a lot of debt and I'm not sure if it would be smart to do something unpaid and go even deeper into debt for the experience, as much as I do want experience. Any advice would be appreciated! 

If you haven't yet, I'd recommend looking into RA positions before something unpaid if finances are an issue. You can get interesting experience while also having the flexibility to prepare for the articling recruit.

1 hour ago, 72343654 said:

I was hoping for some advice regarding whether doing some law-related but unpaid work for your 2L summer at an NGO would put you at a disadvantage for articling recruit. I'm currently stumped on whether to take an unpaid job or to keep searching in the hopes that I find something that pays and that could lead to an eventual articling position. I'm also currently in a lot of debt and I'm not sure if it would be smart to do something unpaid and go even deeper into debt for the experience, as much as I do want experience. Any advice would be appreciated! 

To set yourself up for success in the articling recruit, I think it would be wise to take a 2L position that demonstrates interest in area(s) of law that you are interested in practicing at the start of your legal career. To echo the advice above, it would be good to reach out to profs who teach in an area that interests you for the possibility of an RA position.

In addition, sign up for daily job alerts on popular job boards (like Indeed) so you are well-positioned to continue applying to new summer positions that open up. In my experience, February to early March is the time when you start to see quite a bit of movement in the general summer hiring job market outside the typical opportunities on the school career site. If you are interested in corporate, in-house summer positions would probably seem like a good fit on your resume. I've also seen some policy research analyst type jobs that open up, where law students seem to be preferred candidates.

I'm not sure what kind of unpaid work you are considering, but there is no shortage of small firms or sole practitioners on  job boards that can't pay students a real salary but promise to offer practical experience. Admittedly it is exploitative and not ideal, but in the worst case, if you feel there is truly no better alternative than doing unpaid work, I would try to get as much legal work experience as possible. And, of course, make sure you negotiate upfront for flexibility during the summer for any networking and recruiting activities you will want to do for articling, and make sure you can get an amazing reference from the supervising lawyer. To help offset financial burdens, maybe consider taking on gigs/contract work like tutoring, TAing or other part-time work that pay a decent hourly rate to supplement your income while "volunteering" for the legal experience you want/need. Good luck!

Edited by cherrytree

Any word from KRMC on interviews for their general stream?

Also, did anyone who interviewed at Daoust Vukovich this week hear anything?  

I interviewed with KPMG almost 2 weeks ago and still havent heard anything. am I panicking too early? feeling quite hopeless at this point. also, has anyone else heard anything

On 2/11/2020 at 2:01 PM, highwater said:

Have Rochon Genova, Toronto Hydro or RBC offered interviews?

Also wondering this! Haven't heard anything.

Thought it might be good to share in this thread for folks with non-Bay-Street summer plans but still interested in biglaw:

https://precedentjd.com/summer-job-watch/bay-street-summer-job-numbers/

According to PrecedentJD's Bay Street summer job watch, Dentons will be participating in the 2021-2022 articling recruit. Judging by the numbers from the past few years, they are likely looking to fill 2-3 spots for articling.

Has anyone who interviewed at Oakley & Oakley heard back?

Edited by Bart

On 2/4/2020 at 8:51 AM, Bart said:

Anybody heard from LEAF, KMB, or ERCO?

I know LEAF's interviews went out a few weeks ago. Any word yet from Rochon Genova? 

Has anyone heard back from the Ministry of Finance, Legal Services Branch? Or does anyone know how long they take to schedule interviews?

On 3/2/2020 at 9:06 PM, lawstudent7852 said:

Has anyone heard back from the Ministry of Finance, Legal Services Branch? Or does anyone know how long they take to schedule interviews?

Some interviews have gone out for Ministry of Finance, Legal Services Branch. They are interviewing Thursday, Friday, and Tuesday (March 12th, 13th, 17th)