sendcupcakes

Post-OCI Job Search (Toronto)

4 minutes ago, icecreamsandwich said:

so basically there's nothing I can do to improve my chances of getting an interview, i shouldn't bother trying to figure it out,¬†life is meaningless, and existence is futile.¬†ūüėć

Now you're getting it!

But, honestly, there just isn't an answer from firm to firm. I have no idea why I got OCIs with some firms but not others. I had the exact same application materials for each with a few words changed. Firms hyzt want certain things and it's impossible to predict what those are. And I'm sure there's an element of luck involved, too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, artsydork said:

Stop reading Nietzche and work with your CDO. Also, you wrote "why we're interviewed" so it sounds like you received interviews. Hearing about why a student got an interview isn't all that helpful - working with professionals who can give you practical advice about interviewing skills, resumes and cover letters is better use of your time. Practice some interviews. And also recognize, as barelylegal writes, that there are some things out of your control

No - getting the interview is the problem. Given that I had more OCI offers than I could take I think I look pretty decent on paper. I also have friends who similarly had more OCI offers than they could take who are in the same situation. Clearly there is some special sauce involved in even getting a shot at these post-recruit gigs. 

Sadly, I have to figure out what that is before I can even worry about interview skills.

Edited by icecreamsandwich

7 hours ago, icecreamsandwich said:

For people who have been hired so far post recruit - did you do any networking with the firm beforehand? Blaney did not even extend an interview to several people who I thought were top candidates based on their grades/resumes and I'm wondering what it is these places are looking for? 

Nope! The people I know who have gotten an interview/job so far did not. I think there's a lot more to it.

Edited by macmill
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, icecreamsandwich said:

No - getting the interview is the problem. Given that I had more OCI offers than I could take I think I look pretty decent on paper. I also have friends who similarly had more OCI offers than they could take who are in the same situation. Clearly there is some special sauce involved in even getting a shot at these post-recruit gigs. 

Sadly, I have to figure out what that is before I can even worry about interview skills.

The "special sauce" is whatever particular characteristics or experiences the particular firm prioritizes/values. You are highly unlikely to be able to find out what those are, and each firm is unique. All you can do is put together the best application package you can, tailored as much as reasonably possible to the firm to which you're applying. Which is where working with your CDO can be helpful. You're looking for some magic secret that doesn't exist.

23 hours ago, icecreamsandwich said:

Right, but I'm wondering if anyone who has been hired/interviewed so far can shed some light on why they think they we're chosen, etc. 

To add onto @barelylegal's post, not only are firms looking for different things, but you have to remember that, at the end of the day, it's individual people who review the applications. 

So for example, let's say the person reviewing the app was on Law Review and that was a big part of their law school experience. And they are a huge soccer fan. Candidate A did Law Review and is a star soccer player. Candidate B has slightly better grades and mooted. Candidate A gets an interview over Candidate B. 

Hiring is full of these subjective decisions. 

Based on my background in HR, I will say that your cover letter is key. If it doesn't come off as genuine and well written, you're doomed. If it doesn't tell me what I'm looking for, you're also doomed. The latter is subjective, the former is more objective. I would highly recommend getting people to read your cover letter who will be honest with you. The CDO will do that for you and at least give you their opinion. Colleagues may also do it for you, although their expertise will differ. But try to access as many people as possible. I have seen some horrific cover letters in my day, and the writer, once asked, had no idea.

On 11/21/2019 at 4:09 PM, icecreamsandwich said:

basically there's nothing I can do to improve my chances of getting an interview, i shouldn't bother trying to figure it out, life is meaningless, and existence is futile. 

One thing you could try is calling the interviewers you OCI'ed with and asking them for feedback on your application - IF they seemed amenable to such a thing. I got great feedback from a few interviewers that way, and that helped me prepare for the post-recruit search. 

My 2L fall grades come out on January 15th but I was wondering if I should wait on applying to jobs until I'm able to send out an updated transcript. There is not much I can do about the jobs that have due dates before January 15th though so hopefully that is not a problem. 

9 hours ago, blonderachelzane said:

My 2L fall grades come out on January 15th but I was wondering if I should wait on applying to jobs until I'm able to send out an updated transcript. There is not much I can do about the jobs that have due dates before January 15th though so hopefully that is not a problem. 

Depends, do you think you did better in your fall semester of 2L than 1L? If that's the case than I'd wait. It can also help if you're taking courses relevant to the firm's practice area in 2L (demonstrates an interest).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blonderachelzane said:

I would just get the applications in as early as possible, unless there is something impressive on your Fall semester. 

Applying early matters for some employers. 

• Like 1

Has anyone who may have applied heard back from OSC or know when we can expect to hear back?

6 hours ago, SaraG said:

Has anyone who may have applied heard back from OSC or know when we can expect to hear back?

From past years threads, probably not gonna hear anything about interviews for another week or so.

Has anyone heard back from Devry Smith Frank? They had interviews last week.