CollMcG

OLSAS GPA

I went to a school with a 4.3 grading scale and so thought my cGPA of 3.7 would be great since alot of people who got in had that score; now I'm realizing that most people posted their OLSAS score which is on the 4.0 scale :S. But since 3.7 on the 4.3 scale is still an A- I should still have a shot right?

But most people accepted in 2019 have a cGPA of 3.5-3.8- which is like in the 90s in the 4.0 scale. 

48 minutes ago, CollMcG said:

But most people accepted in 2019 have a cGPA of 3.5-3.8- which is like in the 90s in the 4.0 scale. 

Where are you getting 2019 stats from?

3 hours ago, CollMcG said:

Uh ... what?

A 3.5 cGPA converts to pretty much an 80 average on the dot.

A 3.7 is low 80's, a 4.0 is high 80's and beyond.

On a 4.0 scale, there's no difference GPA-wise between an 86 and a 99. Both are 4.0. 

This is the UofT grading scale, and I think it applies broadly. https://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/aacc/sites/utsc.utoronto.ca.aacc/files/tipsheets/Academic_Advising_Tipsheets/howtocalculateyourGPA.pdf

Schools on a 4.3 scale use the extra .3 to distinguish A+ from A's, but not all schools do this and if you're converting to a school that uses 4.0, then you'd expect to see a bit of a drop in your cGPA if you have a bunch of 4.3's on your transcript.

But yeah, Ottawa's average accepted students do not, I repeat do not have 90 averages. That would mean students in Ottawa have higher cGPA's than those attending UofT. That is not a thing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, theboy said:

Where are you getting 2019 stats from?

From the UOttawa 2019 accepted thread.

I hear your stress. I've applied to 9 schools this year. Due to life timing this is sort of my only chance at law school, so it's sort of a go big or go home kind of thing.

I've been alternately stressed out and pleased with the fact that the schools all seem to have different formulae for GPA. OLSAS GPA was a rude awakening for me, too, because I have a bumch of A+'s that were propping up a bunch of B's and B-'s. Less so in Ontario! But even within the OLSAS schools, the schools are using different subsets of your marks, so you may still be better for some schools than others.

Among the nine schools I've applied to, applying their GPA calculations leads to a range between 2.95 (ha! Definitely just applying 'Access' to that one) and 4.10!

Either way, from what I've seen here, a 3.5 is not terrible for Ottawa, depending on your other info. 

Good luck!

-GM

• Like 1