unemployableBA

How do you know what law is like?

Does anyone have any advice on how to contact lawyers and find out what their experience has been with their field and what a day in their life looks like? I'm nervous I don't know enough about what the job of a lawyer actually invovles

• Like 1

Find a firm that practices in an area that vaguely interests you and send an email to one of the articling students or associates inviting them to coffee. In your email, briefly explain who you are, what drew you to their profile, and what info you're looking to gather. You can Google some informational interview request templates. People in the profession are surprisingly nice to students, especially if you have something in common with them (ex. alma mater, subject matter interest). Good luck!

• Like 1

This is a great idea.

I'd suggest you try to track down lawyers who you might have something in common with as a bit of an icebreaker. Just going off your username, if you can find an alumnus from your university (maybe even in the same or a similar program) who is practicing in the area you're interested in, that would be a good start. LinkedIn would probably help with this.

I'd suggest aiming for someone who was called to the bar within the past 3-8 years, if possible. Law school, the licensing process, the job market, etc. change over time and you want to get someone with relatively recent experience. Less than three years is fine too but there is a trade-off between recency of experience and broader career perspective.

Another option might be to reach out to a firm's 'student coordinator' or equivalent title to ask if there's someone they might recommend within their firm as a good person to reach out to like this.

If you have no idea what practice areas you're interested in, that's OK! Pick out a few that seem like they might be something you're interested in, and go from there. Then, when you're talking to the lawyers, ask them: "I am looking for a role where {{thing you value}}, is this a good practice area to find that? What other areas might be a good fit for that?"

Edited by whereverjustice
clarify new calls point
  • Like 3

In answer to this question I composed A Thing. It was fun to write and has been continued on and off over the years. 

Start here if criminal law interests you at all:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hegdis said:

In answer to this question I composed A Thing. It was fun to write and has been continued on and off over the years. 

Start here if criminal law interests you at all:

this is amazing

• Thanks 1