TotallyBucked

Mature Student Applicants

22 hours ago, fitzroy said:

My Admit Type on Minerva is showing as "Ontario University/College". I vaguely remember seeing "Mature" in that field previously. I'm thinking of giving the office a call tomorrow to find out why that is. But I was wondering if any fellow mature applicant is seeing the same thing? Maybe I imagined seeing "Mature" there before.

I'm also a mature applicant (exactly 5 years since I finished my previous studies) and my application type is showing as "Univ/Coll outside Canada/US". I don't remember if it previously said mature student.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BearsBeetsBattlestar said:

I'm also a mature applicant (exactly 5 years since I finished my previous studies) and my application type is showing as "Univ/Coll outside Canada/US". I don't remember if it previously said mature student.

Got it. Thank you for having a look!

• Like 1

I believe my status has changed from Mature to Ontario University/College. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 9:50 PM, artsydork said:

How long have you been out of school for? McGill may have thrown you back into the regular admit category if you didn't meet their definition of "mature" student.

Hi All! I am piggybacking off this question - also applied as a "mature student" myself. I did a combined BA/MA program in the US 10+ years ago and was last in school in 2009 when I graduated with my MA in International Relations.  Went off and worked in the humanitarian aid non-profit and mining sectors (doing indigenous/community engagement work in the latter) the past ten years in Africa/Asia/Latin America and currently in Afghanistan.  I only applied to McGill because I was specifically interested in the dual degree, bilingual program, and the focus on indigenous law that aligned with my main motivation of going back to school (also just not practical to prepare for LSAT from Afghanistan so I did not bother).

When I applied, I interpreted the definition of "mature student" as someone who was last in formal schooling 5+ years ago, so I just assumed that I should apply in that category. However, I have been exchanging emails with a Student Ambassador who seems to think that "mature student" means someone who "interrupted" their studies and did not complete it.  Since I did complete my BA & MA degrees, by his definition I would be a regular applicant.  I now just checked in the online system and the Admit Type is "US University/College" online - I don't remember if at any point it had said "Mature Student" when I first applied. Should I be worried that I may have misinterpreted their definitions? Sorry - I am slightly paranoid here being out of school for so long! Have applied to plenty of jobs the past decade but somehow this application gives me way more butterflies.  Thanks everyone!

54 minutes ago, onwardjho said:

Hi All! I am piggybacking off this question - also applied as a "mature student" myself. I did a combined BA/MA program in the US 10+ years ago and was last in school in 2009 when I graduated with my MA in International Relations.  Went off and worked in the humanitarian aid non-profit and mining sectors (doing indigenous/community engagement work in the latter) the past ten years in Africa/Asia/Latin America and currently in Afghanistan.  I only applied to McGill because I was specifically interested in the dual degree, bilingual program, and the focus on indigenous law that aligned with my main motivation of going back to school (also just not practical to prepare for LSAT from Afghanistan so I did not bother).

When I applied, I interpreted the definition of "mature student" as someone who was last in formal schooling 5+ years ago, so I just assumed that I should apply in that category. However, I have been exchanging emails with a Student Ambassador who seems to think that "mature student" means someone who "interrupted" their studies and did not complete it.  Since I did complete my BA & MA degrees, by his definition I would be a regular applicant.  I now just checked in the online system and the Admit Type is "US University/College" online - I don't remember if at any point it had said "Mature Student" when I first applied. Should I be worried that I may have misinterpreted their definitions? Sorry - I am slightly paranoid here being out of school for so long! Have applied to plenty of jobs the past decade but somehow this application gives me way more butterflies.  Thanks everyone!

Talk to a "mature" ambassador if possible. Unless the definition changed (and it might have since I was a student), mature category was for people who have been out of school for X amount of time.

• Like 1

Just now, artsydork said:

Talk to a "mature" ambassador if possible. Unless the definition changed (and it might have since I was a student), mature category was for people who have been out of school for X amount of time.

Thanks!  Yes, the student ambassador I exchanged with is actually a mature student. He said, "I did not apply under the Mature Student Admissions Category and was not contacted for an interview.  From what I recall, I chose not to apply as a Mature Student because I did not meet the definition - I had not interrupted my education for more than five years. When I applied, I had already finished my education, I had not delayed or postponed anything.  I think I applied under the University Student category." My understanding of the mature category definition is the same as yours! Might check with Admissions Office just so I don't spook myself.  

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, onwardjho said:

Thanks!  Yes, the student ambassador I exchanged with is actually a mature student. He said, "I did not apply under the Mature Student Admissions Category and was not contacted for an interview.  From what I recall, I chose not to apply as a Mature Student because I did not meet the definition - I had not interrupted my education for more than five years. When I applied, I had already finished my education, I had not delayed or postponed anything.  I think I applied under the University Student category." My understanding of the mature category definition is the same as yours! Might check with Admissions Office just so I don't spook myself.  

If you do check, and if you should you feel so inclined, I'd really appreciate an update. I am planning to apply as a mature student in Fall 2020, and my reading of 'mature' has been 'out of school for more than 5 years' (with 'interrupted studies' meaning that there was an interlude between what you did before and what you're hoping to do  now - i.e., go to law school). If it means something else, that could change my approach to the application. 

Edited by GreyDude

On 1/7/2020 at 2:26 AM, GreyDude said:

If you do check, and if you should you feel so inclined, I'd really appreciate an update. I am planning to apply as a mature student in Fall 2020, and my reading of 'mature' has been 'out of school for more than 5 years' (with 'interrupted studies' meaning that there was an interlude between what you did before and what you're hoping to do  now - i.e., go to law school). If it means something else, that could change my approach to the application. 

Will do. I just emailed Admissions and will let you know when I hear back.

Posted (edited)

If you have been out of school for five years then you are a mature student. I completed a certificate program three years ago, which was two years post-undergrad, and I was told to apply as a mature student from admissions office. 

Edited by rio

On 1/7/2020 at 2:26 AM, GreyDude said:

@GreyDude Admissions Office confirmed that my interpretation is correct - that I am indeed a "mature student". Here is what they said:

"Please be advised that you are considered a Mature applicant as you interrupted your formal education for a minimum of five years. There is no predetermined number of mature candidates admitted in a given year. A mature applicant is normally expected to have completed, at a minimum, a DCS (Diploma of Collegial Studies) from a CEGEP or two years (60 credits) of university studies. Mature applicants who are regarded as potentially admissible following a review of their file may be required to attend an interview."

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, onwardjho said:

@GreyDude Admissions Office confirmed that my interpretation is correct - that I am indeed a "mature student".

Thanks! And I wish you success! 

Edited by GreyDude
  • Like 1